Character Build: Mon-El

  • Fabricio
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 30, 2012
      As a request from Cameron Mount, I've decided to write a character build based on Legion of Super Heroes' Mon-El (or M'Onel, or even Valor, as he was called once). I didn't receive any comment about my other build, Supreme, so I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing. Nevertheless, I'm still open for polite critiques.

      Mon-El [Lar Gand]
      ======
      Prowess 5
      Coordination 9
      Strength 10
      Intellect 5
      Awareness 6
      Willpower 7

      Stamina: 17
      Determination: 1

      Powers:
      Supersenses (Enhanced and Extended Hearing [Including "Directional Hearing"] and Vision [Including "X-Ray Vision", "Microscopic Vision" and "Thermal Vision"]) 8
      Resistance (Afflictions, Age, Blinding, Cold, Corrosives, Heat, Pathogens, Pressure, Toxins, Vacuum) 10
      Invulnerability 10
      Blast ("Heat Vision") 7
      Blast ("Freeze Breath") 7
      Flight 9
      Super Speed 8
      Life Support (Cold, Heat, Pathogens, Pressure, Toxins, Vacuum) 6

      Specialties:
      Electronics
      Mechanics
      Medicine
      Science (Anthropology, Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Ecology, Geology, Physics, Sociology)

      Qualities:
      Connections (The Legion of Super Heroes)
      Attractive
      Iconic (Very famous for having "seeded" many worlds)

      Motivation: Protect innocents from harm, regardless of who or where they are.

      Challenges:
      Enemies: Fatal Five, Black Circle, Mordru
      Personal: Has spent a millenia in Phantom Zone, doesn't like to return there
      Weakness: Vulnerable to Lead (Mitigated by the constant usage of Brainiac 5's serum)

      History:
      Lar Gand, known variously as Mon-El and Valor, is a Daxamite, an alien from the planet Daxam. Exploring the galaxy, he landed on Krypton, but was immediately warned by Jor-El of the planet's imminent destruction and was given a map to Earth. He then went into suspended animation. After a few years, he landed on Earth and met Superboy. Although Gand suffered from amnesia upon landing on Earth, he and Superboy became good friends. Under Earth's yellow sun, he had powers like those of Superman; this led Superboy to believe that Gand might be his heretofore unknown long-lost brother. Superboy named the amnesiac alien "Mon-El": "Mon" because he landed on Earth on a Monday, and "El" for Superboy's own Kryptonian family name. Monel is also a metallic alloy, an appropriate name for the brother of the man (or boy) of steel.

      Mon-El moved into the Kent home and created his own human secret identity (Bob Cobb) to integrate into Superboy's hometown of Smallville; when in alien garb, he accompanied Superboy on his heroic feats. However, when Mon-El failed to experience pain during an unnoticed inadvertent exposure to kryptonite (which is radioactively poisonous to all Kryptonians), Superboy suspected Mon-El was deliberately pretending to be a Kryptonian for some nefarious purpose. Understandably infuriated over what he believed to be a deliberate manipulation of his desire for ties to his original Kryptonian family, Superboy created a fake kryptonite meteorite made of lead and, when Mon-El was debilitated in his presence, Superboy believed his reaction to be proof of deception. However, Mon-El turned out to be in genuine pain because, in a remarkable piece of irony, Daxamites are highly sensitive to lead, even more so than Kryptonians are to kryptonite; whereas Kryptonians can recover from kryptonite poisoning if removed from exposure in time, even a small amount of lead exposure causes fatal, irreversible poisoning to Daxamites. Having regained his memories of meeting Jor-El and of his true nature, "Mon-El" was dying, so a guilt-ridden Superboy transported him into the extradimensional Phantom Zone until a cure could be found. Gand spent one thousand years as a poisoned, insubstantial, telepathic phantom, able to watch everything that happened in the outside world, but unable to affect it in the slightest.

      In the 30th century, Saturn Girl created a temporary antidote to this poisoning allowing him to be released from the Zone for brief periods of time. During this period, he was considered an honorary Legionnaire. Brainiac 5 later created a permanent antidote, based on Saturn Girl's serum, with the addition of Kryptonite.

      After passing his Legion test (including inventing flight ring metal) under the name "Marvel Lad", Lar Gand then joined the Legion of Super-Heroes, using the "Mon-El" moniker Superboy had given him. During this time, he was considered one of the Legion's big 3 (along with Superboy and Ultra Boy). In fact, his Daxamite abilities coupled with his immunity to the effects of Kryptonite and lead (and later, red solar radiation) made him the most powerful of all the Legionnaires. He served two terms as leader. Many years later, he married fellow Legionnaire Shadow Lass, with whom he had a long romantic relationship.

      Again, I wasn't bound to the 45-point limitation. I'd like if someone could see if everything is alright with this build, including the total points.

      Fabrício Franco
    • Curt Meyer

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 30, 2012
          Mon-El point count:

          Abilities - 42
          Specialties - 11
          Powers - 65
          TOTAL - 118

          I take it back. If I was Mon-El, I would frak with Supreme. :D

          jaerdaph
        • Fabrício César Franco

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 30, 2012
                  Of course, he's inspired by the Golden Age Superman, but had the Silver Age Superman's powers. Golden Age Superman wasn't as powerful as the later versions, Supreme, Hyperion, etc. Hmm, might have to see about doing a Golden Age Superman adaption now.
[...]

                  Soultaker Studios Blog: http://soultakerstudios.blogspot.com/
                • Fabrício César Franco
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 30, 2012
                    Gerry,

                    I stand corrected: Supreme is supposed to be as powerful as Silver Age Superman.

                    Fabrício

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 30, 2012
                      Regardless, nice builds on both. I'm tempted to do an actual Golden Age Superman now, since he wasn't nearly as powerful

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 30, 2012
                        Thanks, Gerry. Is there anything wrong or in need to be toned out on both builds?

                        Fabrício

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 30, 2012
                          The one who couldn't actually fly?

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 30, 2012
                            Sorry? I couldn't understand your question... If it's about which version of Superman we're talking about, it's the one who could fly, the Silver Age one.

                            Fabrício
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 30, 2012
                              Very, very true. My 3 points spent on Photography mastery vs. your 3 points spent on invulnerability...

                              jaerdaph

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 30, 2012
                                The question was directed towards Gerry who felt inspired to do the Golden Age Superman. I was just asking if he meant the Golden Age original who couldn't fly, or the later Golden Age (but not quite Silver Age) who could fly.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 30, 2012
                                  Cameron,

                                  That's correct. of course, I'd be basing him off the original cartoons, as I haven't read too many of the Golden Age comics he appeared in (I've read a few, but that was long ago, and I own some of the original cartoons on dvd)

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 30, 2012
                                    Nice. The original cartoons are (or were, at any rate) on Netflix for awhile and I watched them several times. There's a VHS tape floating around my parent's house somewhere that had a bunch of the old cartoons as well.