Character Build: Supreme

  • Fabricio
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2012
      After a nice conversation with Cameron Mount, also a member of this list, I've decided to try making a character build, converting an existent comic character, Supreme, from Image comics.

      Of couse, I didn't limit myself to 45 points. By my accounts, he's a 98-build character (please, correct me if my math is wrong).

      Polite critique are welcome. If anyone could also point me to a nice character sheet for me to post it, I'd be very thankful.

      Supreme [Ethan Crane]
      =======

      Prowess 5
      Coordination 4
      Strength 10
      Intellect 5
      Awareness 6
      Willpower 8

      Stamina: 18
      Determination: 1

      Powers:
      Boost 5 (Strength ["Strength Supreme"] and Intellect [Limit: Scientific or scholarly actions only])
      Blast 8 (Cold ["Exhalation Supreme"], Laser ["Stare Supreme", Limit: eyes only], Static Lightning when rubbing his hands together)
      Enhanced Senses 8 (All senses, with emphasis on Microscopic Vision ["Micro-Sight"] (allows him to see objects smaller than are visible through the most powerful microscopes), Penetrating Vision (can see through objects and people) and "Vision Supreme", a sort of Telescopic Vision)
      Flight 8 (Extra: he doesn't generate sonic booms when flying very fast).
      Invulnerability 10 ["Unbreakable Body"]
      Life Support 5 (Cold, Heat, Pathogens, Pressure, Vacuum)
      Super-Speed 8
      Resistance 8 (Kinetics, Aging)

      Specialties:
      Aerial Combat
      Art (Expert: Comic Book Drawing)
      Mental Resistance
      Power (His Blast powers)

      Qualities:
      Catchphrase ("Great Luminous Nebulae!")
      Connections (The Allied Supermen of America: Glory, Professor Night, Mighty Man and other Image comic heroes)
      Epithet ("Ivory Icon" )
      Identity: Ethan Crane, comic book artist of Omniman
      Motivation: Protect innocents from harm, regardless of who or where they are.

      Challenges:
      Enemies: Darius Dax, Optilux, Emerpus, Gorll The Living Galaxy, Korgo, Shadow Supreme, Televillain
      Personal: Secret identity, colleague and paramour Diana Dane, former paramour Judy Jordan
      Weakness: Vulnerable to Supremium (see below) and Susceptible to Magic

      Sober, responsible, noble, dedicated, extremely concerned with the well-being of others, never using his full power against normal people. Curious about all things.

      Born in the tiny town of Littlehaven, the adoptive son of Joe and Joanne Crane, five-year-old toddler Ethan Crane (and his trusty dog Radar) was exposed to the energy of a mysterious meteor in 1925.

      This meteor, dubbed Supremium by a local doctor, granted Ethan incredible powers and caused his hair to turn white! Soon Kid Supreme was on the scene in Littlehaven. Eventually, Ethan moved to Omegapolis and became Supreme.

      Supreme went on to serve with both the Allied Supermen of America in the 1940's and the Allies in the 1960's as one of the most powerful defenders of the Earth. However, on a journey into space to clear his head, Supreme lost a battle with a magical entity that left him confused and disoriented, leading to over a decade spent wandering the galaxy before he finally returned to his beloved Earth. Now in his late 70's, Supreme continues to protect the average man, appearing no more than half his age.

      Supreme is truly amazing in combat. Virtually unstoppable, able to defeat the likes of Hercules and Thor, about the only reason most of Supreme's enemies aren't terrified of him is that he always takes great care to use only the power necessary to defeat a foe.

      His ability to assess situations and opponents borders on the supernatural. He usually starts by grappling an opponent, examining their strengths and weaknesses up close. Once he has an idea of what his opponent is capable of, he calmly and carefully takes them apart, doing his considerable best to ensure that minimal damage is done to the surroundings.

      In fact, Supremium notwithstanding, Supreme's greatest weakness in battle is his concern for sentient life. Many a villain has escaped Supreme (temporarily) by placing innocents in danger.

      He is also known as the "Platinum Paragon", "Alabaster Avenger", "Gilded Goliath" or "Ivory Icon" and is the world's greatest and most powerful superhero. The world will have its supreme defender for some time to come.

      (Note: There are several isotopes of Supremium. Emerald Supremium is crippling to Supreme, and halves his powers in its presence, as well as reducing his physical abilities by five each. He also loses one card per turn in the presence of Supremium-E. This is like the Fatal Vulnerability Hindrance, but Supreme has lost all his cards in the presence of Supremium and survived. It is fairly certain that prolonged exposure would kill him, though exactly how long is uncertain.

      Amethyst Supremium has the bizarre effect of producing the Transformative Hindrance — randomly! This transformation can be physical, mental, or just about anything a sadistic Narrator can envision. Some results are: Superion, the future-variant, the scientific holder of the high-tech hyperdermis; Stupendo The Simian Supreme, an intelligent gorilla version; Squeak the Supremouse, a talking mouse version; Sister Supreme, a black female version; MacroSupreme, gigantic, rocky version; Sirius the Stallion Supreme, a telepathic horse version; Supremes White and Gold, a split version; Lady Supreme, a female version; Supreme-of-the-Future, with his evolved Gamma-Brain, and a ventriloquist's dummy Supreme, among others. In a pinch, draw from the Fate Deck and apply the effects of Supremium-A from the Event or Calling. It lasts for an Aura duration after the Supremium-A is removed from firing distance.

      Ruby Supremium is less capricious than Supremium-E or S, but no less dangerous. Hype-II has the Triggered-Powerless Hindrance in its presence! He is reduced to 8 Strength and Agility, and has 0 Intensity in all powers while within firing distance of Supremium-R.

      Sapphire Supremium is one of the weirdest, because it affects probabilities, causing "outlandish chance coincidences to happen". Supreme is always unprepared to face the results of Supremium-S radiation, since it affects the whole of reality and not only himself. The results are random, at best.

      Jade Supremium causes organic life to grow, and obviously, not in a deliberate way. Wild, unexpected lifeforms sprout to life in an amazing speed if not checked. Supremium-J was used to populate the world of Suprematonia.

      Finally, Diamond Supremium doesn't harm him through its radiation, but it is capable of penetrating his otherwise invulnerable body! Supreme is Susceptible to Supremium-D. Ironically, Supremium-D is indestructible itself, and shields Hype from other forms of Supremium. He therefore keeps a Supremium-D suit of armor in his Citadel Supreme. However, he only uses this suit in emergencies, since he can be literally beaten to death while within it!)

      Supremium is known to come in different colours, each with a different effect; white Supremium is fatal to Supreme, amber Supremium warps time, onyx Supremium erases time, sapphire Supremium affects probabilities, ruby Supremium transmutes matter, and violet Supremium has random effects.

      Fabrício
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Fabricio" <fabfranco@...> wrote:
        > Of couse, I didn't limit myself to 45 points. By my accounts, he's a 98-build character (please, correct me if my math is wrong).

        I'm not that familiar with Supreme to comment on the build choices, but here's my point count:

        Abilities - 38
        Specialties - 5
        Powers - 60
        TOTAL - 103

        Wow, that's a power build. I like to build heroes unfettered by the 45 point buy limit (which is suggested at character creation for "new" heroes) too, but I'd probably go back through and rethink some powers if I came up with 100+ point total. But again, I don't know enough about Supreme to know if that's even possible.
        Otherwise, it looks good. Wouldn't want to frak with him though! :)

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
          More specifically, I'd look at eliminating Boost (as his Strength score is already 10 and you can't give it even a temporary Boost higher than that) and see if I can get a similar effect by just raising the Intellect ability score or maybe keep it at 5 with some Mastery Specialties for Intellect (eliminating Boost altogether). I'd also re-evaluate some of those level 8 powers too to see if they could be lowered. But not knowing enough about Supreme, that might not be feasible.

          jaerdaph

          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "jaerdaph" <jjbardales@...> wrote:

          > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Fabricio" <fabfranco@> wrote:
          > > Of couse, I didn't limit myself to 45 points. By my accounts, he's a 98-build character (please, correct me if my math is wrong).
          >
          > I'm not that familiar with Supreme to comment on the build choices, but here's my point count:
          >
          > Abilities - 38
          > Specialties - 5
          > Powers - 60
          > TOTAL - 103
          >
          > Wow, that's a power build. I like to build heroes unfettered by the 45 point buy limit (which is suggested at character creation for "new" heroes) too, but I'd probably go back through and rethink some powers if I came up with 100+ point total. But again, I don't know enough about Supreme to know if that's even possible.
          > Otherwise, it looks good. Wouldn't want to frak with him though! :)
          >
          > jaerdaph

        • Gerry
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
            >I'm not that familiar with Supreme to comment on the build choices, but here's my point count:

            Supreme is Rob Liefeld's rip off of Superman. He's been around since WW2. When Liefeld wrote him, he had the attitude of the Punisher. At one point, he also had Thor's hammer in addition to his own powers.

            Alan Moore started to write the comic, and he actually became a more Silver Age style, iconic hero.

            Soultaker Studios Blog: http://soultakerstudios.blogspot.com/
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
              Thanks, Gerry. I couldn't tell from the Wikipedia article if Supreme was a real Golden Age super or a neo-Golden Age super created more recently. I take it the original isn't in the public domain?

              jaerdaph

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
                Never mind the public domain question - irrelevant as the character was created in the 1980s. My brain is fried today.

                jaerdaph

                --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "jaerdaph" <jjbardales@...> wrote:

                > Thanks, Gerry. I couldn't tell from the Wikipedia article if Supreme was a real Golden Age super or a neo-Golden Age super created more recently. I take it the original isn't in the public domain?
                >
                > jaerdaph
              • Fabrício César Franco
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
                  jaerdaph, would you mind being more specific about the level 8 abilities? I'm prone to re-build this character as soon as you tell me where exactly to change.

                  Thanks for your input!

                  Fabrício

                  .

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
                    You know what these characters feel like a lot better than I do, so I think you shouldn't be afraid to go with your gut. I was looking more at point totals and keeping them "reasonable", but not all points are created equal, which is why I suggested bringing down some of the level 8 powers, and not because you did anything wrong in choosing them. I do think Cameron's suggestion to tone down Mon-El rather than try to bring Supreme up any more is a good one though.

                    jaerdaph

                    --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Fabrício César Franco <fabfranco@...> wrote:

                    > jaerdaph, would you mind being more specific about the level 8 abilities?
                    > I'm prone to re-build this character as soon as you tell me where exactly
                    > to change.
                    >
                    > Thanks for your input!
                    >
                    > Fabrício
                  • Fabrício César Franco
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
                      I've given a lot of thought to lowering Ability Boost on Strength to Supreme, but as he is depicted on the comics, he's a lot stronger than Hulk, Superman or Majestic. He has sort of a Celestial level of Strength, if you're into Marvel mythos. But he doesn't use it very often, only in crucial moments. I put the limitation: situational (only in crucial moments) to reflect this. Would it be better build it with a power stunt, perhaps? The boost for Intellect is already explained and limited. He's not a master of any scientific field, it's just that, in any scholarly or scientific situation, he comes up with an impromptu idea to solve the problem. The level 8 powers reflect the Superhuman level of his powers - as stated on the Core Book (Levels and Scale, page 5). I'm not happy with the so high values I ended up with the build, though. Or maybe, it's just because he's a demi-god, as portrayed in the comics, and apart the magistral characterization from Mr. Alan Moore, not a very good character to be played with.

                      That's why I need help on how to tone Supreme and Mon-El down to a feasible level to use them in a campaign. Help, anyone?

                      Fabrício