Re: [icons-rpg] Running No Laughing Matter Straight

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29 9:23 AM

      I was thinking of adding an extra twist: either he "bought" them through fraud or counterfeit money, or the thefts (somehow) were real but it was copies that were stolen as part of a complicated insurance scam. Though I might change the title to "The Joke's On You."

      John

      On 2012-04-29, at 5:36 AM, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:

      Mild spoilers ahead regarding the adventure "No Laughing Matter".

      I was thinking about adventure "No Laughing Matter" and got myself wondering, would actually work better without the twist at the end? Sure, without the twist (nothing is technically being stolen) it's not much of a story and would make a terrible comicbook to read. But I wonder if the final pay off is really that satisfying from a player perspective.

      I find the "Looks we've been played all along" kind of story is only really satisfying from a player point of view you when a chance for some real righteous retribution at the end, the classic build up frustration/ vent frustration  combo. But in this instance all you can do is get the Punster on legal technicalities (which isn't really very heroic) even that is  a bit of a downer because after all he really is trying to go straight.

      Running it straight it just becomes a vanilla crime spree with a theme, but you get to ramp up the stakes and violence during each incident and I think there are enough diversions, clever stuff and colourful details ( the "Christheby’s" pun nearly snuck by me) as is. You can always count on the players to complicate matters further.

      =
    • John Post
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2012
        The way I ran it was to introduce the Punster and then let him be an annoying, but non-criminal irritant for a few sessions. He allowed his restaurants to be the location for some fund raising activities, and then charged the charities more than they actually raised (gotta read the fine print on those contracts). Then his business started to fail and he went back to the life of crime.  Given that he'd been annoying and untouchable for over a year real time, the characters (and players) were very happy to see him get his comeuppance.

        John

        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2012
          Yeah, I can see how that would work.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com