ICONS news podcast

    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 4 1:53 PM
      http://mikelaff.podbean.com/2012/04/04/icons-love-fest/

      This episode is a veritable love-fest of all things ICONs! I'm still atingle...

      We've got John Post - writer of the latest official ICONS release, No Laughing Matter, on hand to talk about the adventure

      We've got John Dunn - writer/publisher of the Hope Prep supplements for ICONS talking about his recent releases

      Walt Robillard of Hazard Studios talks about his recent release - Supervillains for ICONS

      Joe Bardales is on to talk about his awesome ICONS-centric blog Just Add Heroes
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 4 4:36 PM
        This was a lot of fun - thanks again, Mike, for inviting me to join in!

        jaerdaph

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 4 7:05 PM
          Very fun. And I feel honored to be sort-of referred to. :)

          And the last actual play writeups for my group... my version is here: http://doc-lemming.dreamwidth.org/77854.html

          And the version by James Nicoll, one of my players, is here: http://james-nicoll.livejournal.com/3692651.html

          And I hope I get to ICONS again soon. Might even be fun to play, because I've never done that....

          This was a lot of fun - thanks again, Mike, for inviting me to join in!

          jaerdaph

          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "dirkgentry2000" <dirkgentry2000@...> wrote:

          > http://mikelaff.podbean.com/2012/04/04/icons-love-fest/
          >
          > This episode is a veritable love-fest of all things ICONs! I'm still atingle...
          >
          > We've got John Post - writer of the latest official ICONS release, No Laughing Matter, on hand to talk about the adventure
          >
          > We've got John Dunn - writer/publisher of the Hope Prep supplements for ICONS talking about his recent releases
          >
          > Walt Robillard of Hazard Studios talks about his recent release - Supervillains for ICONS
          >
          > Joe Bardales is on to talk about his awesome ICONS-centric blog Just Add Heroes

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
              icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 4 7:24 PM
            That's right, John - you were indeed referred to indirectly but not named by a couple of us last night. :) Sorry about that - no slight intended. Your actual play reports are invaluable and insightful not just for publishers but for your fellow ICONS fans like myself.

            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 4 7:36 PM
              And I'm not mad about it, as I hope the smiley indicated. Yes, it would have been nice to be mentioned because, hey, I'm a glory hound (or something; I'm not sure what the term is for me--less a glory hound and more a recognition chihuahua?), but if I have to choose between a not-nice mention and a nameless recognition that sometimes I'm helpful, I'll take the latter.

              Mike, you need a sign-off epithet you can say.

              "And as the goat faints, we'll see you again next time--BAMF!"

              "And remember, kids: Be A Maniacal Fridge: BAMF!" (You'd change what the initials stand for every time, of course: Bear All Midwives Foolishly, or Be An MF, or Back, And My Front, or... well, you get the idea.)

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 4 7:41 PM

                > And I'm not mad about it, as I hope the smiley indicated. Yes, it would have been nice to be mentioned because, hey, I'm a glory hound (or something; I'm not sure what the term is for me--less a glory hound and more a recognition chihuahua?), but if I have to choose between a not-nice mention and a nameless recognition that sometimes I'm helpful, I'll take the latter.

                Oh I know, I just felt bad for being thoughtless. I do enjoy the comments and suggestions you post on my blog and thank you for taking the time to read it! :)

                jaerdaph
              • the_dunner
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 5 3:54 AM
                  Sorry for not mentioning you specifically, John.

                  As my fumbling over Mike Munshaw's name (during the podcast) clearly indicates I am absolutely wretched about remembering people's names on the spur of the moment.

                  Thanks to Mike for the opportunity to participate in the podcast and thanks as well to everyone who gave a listen.

                  -John

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 5 5:32 AM
                    Apologies accepted.

                    What I'm thrilled about is that we can do a whole podcast of ICONS third-party publishers.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 5 7:44 AM
                      I'm just glad I'm not the only one who can appreciate a good John Hughes film, Mr. Dunn. :)

                      And if I may suggest a title for a possible future Hope Prep School adventure: WHAT ABOUT PROM?!? :D

                      jaerdaph

                      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "the_dunner" <john.dunn@...> wrote:

                      > Sorry for not mentioning you specifically, John.
                      >
                      > As my fumbling over Mike Munshaw's name (during the podcast) clearly indicates I am absolutely wretched about remembering people's names on the spur of the moment.
                      >
                      > Thanks to Mike for the opportunity to participate in the podcast and thanks as well to everyone who gave a listen.
                    • John Dunn
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 5 7:49 AM
                        Re: [icons-rpg] Re: ICONS news podcast Thanks, Joe!

                        Prom’s definitely something we’d want to reserve for a later year. I don’t really see that as typically a Freshman concern (and Halloween Ball covered a dance, too). At the earliest, I’d think we might cover a Junior Prom as a focal point would be in year three. Though, it could be a backdrop event in one of the later Sophomore year adventures.

                        -John

                        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com <mailto:icons-rpg%40yahoogroups.com> , "the_dunner" <john.dunn@...> wrote:

                        > Sorry for not mentioning you specifically, John.
                        >
                        > As my fumbling over Mike Munshaw's name (during the podcast) clearly indicates I am absolutely wretched about remembering people's names on the spur of the moment.
                        >
                        > Thanks to Mike for the opportunity to participate in the podcast and thanks as well to everyone who gave a listen.

                      • Curt Meyer
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 5 8:27 AM
                          Here's some high school tropes I think you ought to cover:

                          Unrequited or forbidden love between students;

                          Coming out;

                          Love affair between teacher and student;

                          Drug use, perhaps introduced into the school by villains;

                          School Food, maybe made into an amorphous killing machine or given sentience by an alien pathogen or a super science experiment;

                          villains taking over funding sources to shut down beloved programs, or the entire school;

                          And events like class reunions, home coming, UIL competitions and standardized testing of super abilities.

                          Sent from my iPad

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 5 8:47 AM
                            Thanks for the suggestions, Curt!

                            Several of the items you've mentioned are things that we've actually specifically covered. I'd rather not go into spoiler materials, but, you listed 10 different items. Of those, we've published 5 and have things in progress to cover 2 more. So, your thoughts are pretty well in sync with my own.

                            The only one that I can tell you that I won't specifically cover is the notion of a love affair between a current teacher and current student. I very much want the setting to remain reasonably kid-friendly and approachable. All of our player characters are minors, while all of our instructors are above the age of consent. I am not comfortable including something that would cross that line.

                            Good gaming!
                            -John

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 5 8:52 AM
                              I respect you for wanting to keep it kid-friendly. I guess that's what I get for growing up with Iron Age comics :)

                              Sent from my iPad

                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 5 8:55 AM
                                Also, John Post didn't mention the coolest quality of the Punster: he's a muscular Galligar.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 5 1:51 PM
                                  When I decided to go ahead with adventures I had written myself for HPS  I put together a short list of some high school dramas I could include. I understand your desire to be kid-friendly but I didn't have one when I was making this list. :)

                                  Ideas, as they say, are cheap.

                                  Bullying
                                   - mind control as metaphor for bullying?
                                   - alien takeover?
                                  - some celebrity comes to talk about bullying and triggers an adventure

                                  Getting driver's license
                                  Learning to drive
                                  Borrowing the car/skycycle and damaging it

                                  Overshadowed by parent or parents

                                  Doing what's expected

                                  Plans for the future
                                   - Too many plans for the future
                                   - a precognitive who's right meets someone  who messes up precognition

                                  Taking responsibility (or not)

                                  Moving higher on Maslow's hierarchy of needs

                                  Present play on English class and stage-fright (unless in costume?)

                                  Do drugs or not
                                   - so many superheroes seem to come from drugs
                                   - kid really wants to go to hope prep, takes drugs to qualify, sees the competition, takes more drugs

                                  Have sex or not

                                  Being without cellphones! Or Internet! (Earth day!)

                                  Volunteer hours required to graduate in Ontario

                                  Parental expectations (superhero *and* college)

                                  First date
                                  First kiss
                                  First relationship, maybe first serious one
                                  First breakup

                                  First crush on Member Of Appropriate Sex
                                  Having MOAS not reciprocate

                                  Reputation
                                  Creating image

                                  Helicopter parents

                                  Absentee parents: "mom and dad are always saving the world or the city or some cat in a frickin' tree. Never coming to my stuff."
                                  (Maybe someone should be bummed that folks aren't coming to Halloween game/ball.)

                                  What's cool or what's right

                                  Hope Prep needs Orphans Anonymous!

                                  On 2012-04-05, at 11:47 AM, John Dunn <john.dunn@...> wrote:

                                  Thanks for the suggestions, Curt!

                                  Several of the items you've mentioned are things that we've actually specifically covered. I'd rather not go into spoiler materials, but, you listed 10 different items. Of those, we've published 5 and have things in progress to cover 2 more. So, your thoughts are pretty well in sync with my own.

                                  The only one that I can tell you that I won't specifically cover is the notion of a love affair between a current teacher and current student. I very much want the setting to remain reasonably kid-friendly and approachable. All of our player characters are minors, while all of our instructors are above the age of consent. I am not comfortable including something that would cross that line.

                                  Good gaming!
                                  -John

                                  On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Curt Meyer <curtmeyer@...> wrote:

                                  Here's some high school tropes I think you ought to cover:

                                  Unrequited or forbidden love between students;

                                  Coming out;

                                  Love affair between teacher and student;

                                  Drug use, perhaps introduced into the school by villains;

                                  School Food, maybe made into an amorphous killing machine or given sentience by an alien pathogen or a super science experiment;

                                  villains taking over funding sources to shut down beloved programs, or the entire school;

                                  And events like class reunions, home coming, UIL competitions and standardized testing of super abilities.

                                  Sent from my iPad

                                  On Apr 5, 2012, at 9:49 AM, John Dunn <john.dunn@...> wrote:

                                  Thanks, Joe!

                                  Prom’s definitely something we’d want to reserve for a later year. I don’t really see that as typically a Freshman concern (and Halloween Ball covered a dance, too). At the earliest, I’d think we might cover a Junior Prom as a focal point would be in year three. Though, it could be a backdrop event in one of the later Sophomore year adventures.

                                  -John

                                  On 4/5/12 10:44 AM, "jaerdaph" <jjbardales@...> wrote:

                                  I'm just glad I'm not the only one who can appreciate a good John Hughes film, Mr. Dunn. :)

                                  And if I may suggest a title for a possible future Hope Prep School adventure: WHAT ABOUT PROM?!? :D

                                  jaerdaph

                                  --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com <mailto:icons-rpg%40yahoogroups.com> , "the_dunner" <john.dunn@...> wrote:

                                  > Sorry for not mentioning you specifically, John.
                                  >
                                  > As my fumbling over Mike Munshaw's name (during the podcast) clearly indicates I am absolutely wretched about remembering people's names on the spur of the moment.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks to Mike for the opportunity to participate in the podcast and thanks as well to everyone who gave a listen.

                                  =
                                • John Post

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 6 9:56 AM
                                      Wait... Gallagher but muscular... You mean he's Carrot Top?

                                      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, John Post <johnpost@...> wrote:

                                      > Yes, my art direction to Dan was "Like Gallagher, but not so sophisticated." I like how all the villians turned out, and the art for the encounters is great too.
                                      >
                                      > PS. I mentioned this on the Podcast, but wanted to reiterate it here. Dr. Punch and Electric Judy are Dan's creations. I just fleshed out their backgrounds a bit, I hope, without doing to much damage to Dan's vision, and stated them up based on his descriptions.
                                      >
                                      > John
                                      >
                                      > On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Curt Meyer <curtmeyer@> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > Re: [icons-rpg] Re: ICONS news podcast
                                      >

                                      > Also, John Post didn't mention the coolest quality of the Punster: he's a muscular Galligar.
                                      >
                                      > Sent from my iPad

                                    • Cameron Mount
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 6 10:07 AM
                                        I'm not usually one to stick up for Gallagher (who I just don't find funny), but that's a bit of a low blow. That's like comparing George Carlin to Larry the Cable Guy.

                                        :)

                                        On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 12:56, Seamus <sotp_seamus@...> wrote:

                                        Wait... Gallagher but muscular... You mean he's Carrot Top?

                                        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, John Post <johnpost@...> wrote:

                                        > Yes, my art direction to Dan was "Like Gallagher, but not so sophisticated." I like how all the villians turned out, and the art for the encounters is great too.
                                        >
                                        > PS. I mentioned this on the Podcast, but wanted to reiterate it here. Dr. Punch and Electric Judy are Dan's creations. I just fleshed out their backgrounds a bit, I hope, without doing to much damage to Dan's vision, and stated them up based on his descriptions.
                                        >
                                        > John
                                        >
                                        > On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Curt Meyer <curtmeyer@> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > Re: [icons-rpg] Re: ICONS news podcast
                                        >

                                        > Also, John Post didn't mention the coolest quality of the Punster: he's a muscular Galligar.
                                        >
                                        > Sent from my iPad

                                      • Colin T
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 7 6:51 AM
                                          How about a student is struggling with life at the Academy because their family doesn't realise he/she isn't fitting in and how the PCs handle this they could create either a new supervillain or find someone who can help this student before things explode as the student tries to solve their own situation with potentially fatal results.

                                          A Supervillain approaches Hope requesting their help with his/her estranged child who is determined to become a hero to redeem their villainous parent unaware their parent is willing to make amends to protect their child from their former allies and enemies some of whom call themselves heroes but are far from that!

                                          The PCs discover a new hero group calling themselves the Elementals gained their powers from a magic ritual cast by a fifth member who they abandoned because they thought she didn't develop powers.
                                          However another student has discovered this secret and is targetting them to try and steal their abilities kidnapping them and holding them captive.
                                          With precious little evidence to track down the perpetrator the PCs have to persuade the remaining members to reveal their secret as their only hope is the missing fifth member who has kept secret about her power after she was dumped because she was afraid it was their empowerment that caused the situation and unlike them she has the ability to locate the others being a powerful neophyte mage in the Zatanna style except she doesn't speak her spells backwards she simply uses stage magic as part of her spellcasting style!

                                          A new supervillain is targetting neophyte hero groups and Hope Academy has been warned, however the villain has a connection with Hope Academy that leads to a dangerous threat to both the school and the students.

                                          A teacher at Hope has been replaced by a doppleganger who is working behind the scenes leading to several of the teacher's being kidnapped and the only students who suspect anything are being held in detention which is handy because the school is closed down locking down any of the students in their dormrooms or outside of the facility and the only ones who can do anything have just witnessed their detention teacher kidnapped in front of them, what will they do?

                                          Sorry trying to make them as brief as the previous posters did, hope they're clear enough!

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 7 7:03 AM
                                            All great ideas, Colin! Thanks for sharing them.

                                            One of the published scenarios bears a bit of a resemblance to one of your suggestions (I'd rather not post spoilers here, but shoot me a line off-list if you want to know which one).

                                            -John

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 7 7:24 AM
                                              I'm getting in on this a little late, but have you planned something special for homecoming? I imagine the heroes' parents were a previous group of heroes at Hope Prep. Then the next adventure is a flashback that focuses around the parent heroes. The whole thing can then connect to what the main team is focused on in the present.

                                              Just casting a line. Hope it's useful.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 7 8:23 AM
                                                Great ideas, Seamus!

                                                The Homecoming game is actually the backdrop for "The Substitute."

                                                Halloween Ball is actually the "big fall dance" at Hope Prep. That's covered in the adventure named "Halloween Ball" (my creativity knows no bounds). There is a homecoming game that's mentioned in the Freshman Handbook, but we haven't specifically addressed it yet. That's something we'd likely cover in year

                                                I do like the way you're spinning the idea about flashing between parental and student histories. That's a cool idea.

                                                -John

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 7 8:34 AM
                                                  Yeah, then you offer players the chance to create and play as their hero's parent. It's like 'Heroes', only the plot doesn't have to fall apart halfway through.

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Apr 7 8:49 AM
                                                    LOL! I can't stand prop comics like Gallagher or Carrot Top, except maybe Bobby Hill from King of the Hill. So I guess I like comedy about prop comedy, kind of like making fun of mimes. :)

                                                    Maybe we should stat up the Sledge-O-Matic...

                                                    Anyhow, I'm really enjoyed reading No Laughing Matter - it's got that Batman: The Brave and Bold kind of vibe to it. I'm looking forward to running it soon.

                                                    jaerdaph

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 7 12:43 PM
                                                      Ooh, I like that one. (scribbles it down to steal it)

                                                      John

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Apr 8 10:41 AM
                                                        Most probably the first and last one which is very ironic because my first idea was a combination of ALL of them!

                                                        The student has an estranged sister who his family believe died years ago after a bitter divorce and the discovery her ex-husband is an infamous supervillain.
                                                        His daughter having been responsible for the creation of a team of elemental powered superwoman who dropped her from their group to recruit some similarly powered girls began her own career as a supposedly nonpowered crimefighter until she succeeded in persuading her father to retire only for his enemies to try and kill her since they didn't know she was his daughter and only thought a nonpowered nobody had succeeded where some of the most powefulest superhero teams and enforcement agencies had painfully failed.
                                                        She has taken up a new identity and is unaware her father is keeping watch over here after her new identity was villified after five of the hero teams she had adventured with were targetted and eliminated by a former student of Hope Academy who was also an embittered rival of the Elemental group.
                                                        With her half brother struggling at Hope Academy, Nightfall has decided to help him but in so doing has drawn the attention of the school who have been led to believe "he" isn't a suitable choice for a mentor for the new student who is the only one aware that Nightfall is his estranged sister.
                                                        Hammerdawg as he calls himself was expelled from Hope Academy when it was discovered he had been the subject and had paid for the implanting of superhuman organs that was take from kidnapped victims at the behest of an underworld organisation, he has since he was expelled has tried to make it look like he has been making amends by working for the government BUT he has been targetting and eliminating neophyte hero teams of foreign nationals in return for immunity to prosecution when he was caught.
                                                        Nightfall is the only hero to have ever caught him, since she has never revealed she has power negation abilities along with some mystical abilities she had once hidden with apparent stage magic tricks during her earlier career.
                                                        His attempts to kill her has led to his handlers getting her villified in the the hopes it would bring their operative back under their control unfortunately he has now focused on his old nemesis the Elementals and as the game leads to is making an attempt to abduct the daughter of one of the members' leading to a confrontation with Nightfall who is on her first nocturnal mission with her new sidekick with the PCs in tow leading to a three way fight that might result in the villain abducting the child or the potential addition of a new ally to the PCs and Hope Academy which they're going to need as Hammerdawg is planning on avenging himself on Hope itself in an attempt to abduct not only any of the staff and student he can but to harvest any potential superhuman organs for his profit but to once and for all earn the kind of supervillain status he believes is his right...

                                                        Meanwhile a certain hero's father is about to make his presence felt, his daughter is about to get into serious trouble and the only hope he has of finding the help he needs is to do the unexpected and approach Hope Academy itself!

                                                        And the news he brings is dire indeed for he not only knows who Hammerdawg is actually working for but that a hero everyone looks up to isn't who he claims to be and is about to set off a masterplan to bring the world to its knees and the only person who knows the truth is one of the world's most imfamous ubervillains and he's come to Hope Academy because for the true villain of the piece's plan to work he will have to eliminate the only hero who stands in his way and thats something her father will NOT allow!

                                                        Sorry went overboard again!!!