Re: [icons-rpg] Descriptive scale?

  • Jon Lang
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
      I'd prefer to use adjectives.  But it doesn't work particularly well when you have more than seven adjectives; and even then, it only really works if those adjectives are synonyms for "good/better/best", "bad/worse/worst", and "somewhere in the middle": the original Fudge ladder went about as far as one can reasonably go with adjective-rated traits IMHO.  Fate's insistence on adding more positive terms to the ladder interfered with the ability to use it intuitively, which is an essential feature of using adjectives.

      And as Soylent Green points out, the fact that several published resources for Icons dispense with adjectives makes it impractical to use them even if that's your preference.

      So, numbers.

      And given the statistical characteristics of the die-rolling mechanic, I sometimes wish that Icons had gone with 15 steps instead of 10: Fudge's seven-step ladder works mainly because the results on a 4dF roll are so tightly grouped that someone who is "the best" (three steps up) will almost always succeed at a task of moderate (center of the scale) difficulty, and even a one-step difference between difficulty and ability makes a huge difference; with opposed d6's (whether it be 1d6-1d6, high-drop, or 2d6-7), the odds that "the best" (6) will fail at a moderate (3) task are too high for my taste.  I say "the best" is 6 rather than 10 because I feel that success and failure ought to be calibrated according to normal human potential: with opposed d6s, normal human potential ought to be rated on a scale of one to ten, ten being best, with the caveat that superhumans regularly exceed "the best" by definition.  Thus a fifteen-point range: 5 instead of 3 for the typical human, 10 instead of 6 for the best human, and 15 instead of 10 for cosmic power.

      --
      Jonathan "Dataweaver" Lang
    • wee_ree_cat
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 4, 2012
        We use both.

        I made a character sheet where abilities are noted with both an adjective and the numbered score.

        And we use, of course, the MSH adjectives.

        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kenson <stevekenson@...> wrote:

        > A new survey question: do you use descriptive adjectives for the different trait levels in ICONS (rather than just using numbers) and, if so, what words do you use?
        >
        > _____
        > Steve Kenson
        > stevekenson@...
        > www.stevekenson.com

      • Jakub
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 4, 2012
          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kenson <stevekenson@...> wrote:

          > A new survey question: do you use descriptive adjectives for the different trait levels in ICONS (rather than just using numbers) and, if so, what words do you use?

          I occasionally compare the characters to comicbook or RL benchmarks rather than use verbal phrases.
          For example intellect
          1 - Hulk, 2- dumb guy, 3- Average Joe, and so on.
          This is mostly during character creation and introducing new NPCs rather than during actual gameplay.

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 4, 2012
            --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "wee_ree_cat" <wee_ree_cat@...> wrote:

            > We use both.
            >
            > I made a character sheet where abilities are noted with both an adjective and the numbered score.
            >
            > And we use, of course, the MSH adjectives.

            Somehow I think I would like and appreciate the adjectives more if they were in a beautiful language like French. :)

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 4, 2012
              --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Jakub" <erpegis@...> wrote:

              > I occasionally compare the characters to comicbook or RL benchmarks rather than use verbal phrases.
              > For example intellect
              > 1 - Hulk, 2- dumb guy, 3- Average Joe, and so on.
              > This is mostly during character creation and introducing new NPCs rather than during actual gameplay.

              That's always been a very helpful guide for me as well. I refer to this list a lot:
              http://icons-truth-justice-and-gaming.wikispaces.com/Benchmarks