Re: [icons-rpg] How many people are actually playing ICONS? Superhero RPGs in general?

  • Benzedrine Sneezer
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2012
      Not currently - I'm playing apocalypse world and getting ready to run Barbarians of Lemuria. I last run Icons back in December - trouble over Dunsmouth (or whatever the scenario was called). Played it sans miniatures and mat and it worked ok. I find I'm not a fan of the random power generation and random power levels - it makes characters too disparate. It's ok for one-off and short games, but I'll be using a more balanced system for campaign play. I've been working on my own system so will probably use that.

      Benzedrine Sneezer

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2012
        I routinely run superhero RPGs,. Mostly, it's Mutants & Masterminds, because there's more interest in it here. But we've been playing Icons a lot lately as well.

        --
        Hollis McCray
        aka The Fifth Wanderer

        ascensionschild@...

      • MikeM
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2012
          I am currently not playing anything either.
          D&D was the last campaign I played in but that ended over a year ago.
          The last game I ran for any length of time was Marvel SAGA.  God, I loved that game.

          I don't think raising the profile is an issue...though sustaining it may be.

          I'd count ones where ICONS has been or still is on the rotation list: just because you're not playing ICONS right now doesn't mean you're not going to get back to it. Electronic counts too.

          I ask because I was going to put up a link to last night's shenanigans, and then I thought, well, folks are probably bored of them, and those that aren't can go to the web page; I list every session. The ones who are bored, they have their own games.

          (How many people are playing is of course separate from how many people are bored with my links, but it brought the question to mind.)

          Which lead to wondering how to raise the profile of superhero games in general. (I recently requested a generator from Chaoticshiny, who said essentially, "Gosh, superhero games are too niche a market.") The first step is to figure out how many people are buying or playing the games.

          No virus found in this message.

          No virus found in this message.

        • Joe Littrell

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3, 2012
              Been GMing ICONS since I got fed up with 80s Marvel. I'm probably never going to use another superhero system, since what I liked was how similar they felt, while being better and a lot more playable (to my tastes).