Re: [icons-rpg] Re: New Marvel RPG

    Message 1 of 36 , Mar 1, 2012
      I hope to hear it tonight, while doing other things. (Last night, as folks on the list know, was roleplaying night for us, currently ICONS night.)

      I have now bought the rules and given them a cursory glance. At first I thought there were no character creation rules (not unlike the original release of other beloved Marvel rules) but on looking on RPG.net for something else, I discover that there are a couple of paragraphs of guidance that are, effectively, character creation rules.

      I guess what will make it more than an impulse purchase for me will be whether or not one can go further and create one's own universe and Events. My first glance makes me think that the narrative focus makes it harder (though not impossible) to do sandbox kind of games, where you just set up a situation and say, "Go." Since that's half my play style (the other half being controlling writer, though I'm fighting it), I worry about it. (Maybe my other half will be sufficient.)

      To a certain extent, it reminds me of the things I've read about Truth & Justice ("Turing & Justice" is my new series, coming out this fall, about an AI enforcer and its handler....I kid). The wibbliness of the PDQ system was eventually what lead to my group not liking it in *Jaws of the Six Serpents* and I see some of that free-form nature in the power sets. Free, yes, and easier to get into for a new roleplayer. ("What can you do? Okay, d4 means minor, d6 means poor, d8 is average, d10 is really good, and d12 is godlike. Assign power levels.") And there are things that I would think would be defined for the characters but that I don't yet grok, but maybe it's in the Distinctions.

      Certainly in my brain, Distictions = Aspects, Plot Points = Determination Points. I might be way off; it sort of reminds me of the distiction between *Barbarians of Lemuria* and *Jaws of the Six Serpents*. One is more traditional roleplaying than the other, but they're both rules-light and good.

      But I haven't given the Marvel rules more than the most cursory glance, nor have I listened to the podcast, so I might be whistling in the dark, here.

      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 9, 2012
        On 3/9/2012 10:59 AM, Michael Taylor wrote:

        > > May I make a suggestion to the list? I'm certainly not against
        > discussing other supers RPGs because often they have much to offer that
        > can be applied to all supers gaming, but perhaps specific questions
        > about how rules and mechanics work in games other than ICONS should be
        > moved or directed to a more appropriate discussion forum? I know there
        > are some good discussions about the new MWP Marvel RPG over at RPGNet
        > for example.
        > >

        > How about here:

        That's for MSH/FASERIP, and it may not be welcome there, either.