Re: How many people are actually playing ICONS? Superhero RPGs in general?

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1 7:42 AM
      ICONS is my only supers game, and I'm actively playing face to face on a regular basis. It is not the only RPG I actively play though, but it is the one I have played most often over the last year.

      There are a lot of supers RPGs on the market right now (and more coming), most still actively supported, that appeal to all kinds of play styles and preferences - from rules-light to crunchy mechanics, with varying degrees of story and social elements built in. It's great that there are so many quality games from which to choose. For a "niche" market, it seems to be well covered.

      I think supers games tied to major IP licenses (DC/M&M3/Green Ronin, Marvel/Margaret Weis and Smallville/Margaret Weis) have the largest audiences because those licenses have established fan bases and appeal. I don't know how many people are actively playing the new Marvel RPG, but there sure seem to be a lot of people buying it and talking about it.

      This is all anecdotal and most likely biased by my own preferences, but I see more threads lately about supers gaming in the general forum at RPGNet than I do for other popular genres like SciFi, Pulp and Horror.

      Coming from a mixed Catholic and Jewish heritage, guilt trips DO work on me. I've been overwhelmed with real life workload for the last week, so I've been neglecting my own blog, but I would make the time to catch up on your group's exploits if you post a link. If I'm going to waste time procrastinating, it might as well be on something enjoyable. :)

      Best,

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1 7:54 AM
        Icons is very much played round here. I am running an Icons Necessary Evil camapign for one group at local club and playing in a Champions inspired Icons campaign with other (just last week I used my character Posession pwoer to turn Foxbat Girl against Foxbat!). It's also become our groups default game for one shot games. So, yeah it get's played a lot. Also, for what it's worth, Icons also seems quite popular on the forums I hang out on.

        And speaking of forums, there was a topic just the other day about what roleplaying games are actually played. Obviously hard and fast statistics on this, but one poster suggested that Obsidian Portal (a website dedicated to providing webspace for campaigns, mostly of the play by post variety but not only) might provides an interesting snapshot as it does have a handy list number of games on its site by system.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1 2:05 PM
          I don't play/run it often but I have, and will again. Its an awesome
          game. Right now I'm playing in an MSH game, and running H&S games. Just
          a matter of time before I want to use Icon's again.
        • Chris Miller
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1 2:11 PM
            I have a regular group of adults and the main game there is D&D but I did run them through Necessary Evil in 2010. With the kids I run M&M occasionally using a battlemat and heroclix, but I run ICONS free-form - no mat, no minis, no table - so it has a very different feel and brings out a different style of play. We've played it more than anything over the last year or so. I've looked over the new Marvel game and we will give it a try but it's hard to say how it will go over but I would run it in a similar way to my ICONS games.

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1 2:40 PM
              I currently am not playing anything regularly. Some may remember I had set up the PbP game, and that kind of fizzled out. I might be interested in starting it again at some point, if the interest is there.

              Otherwise, I will be trying out the new Marvel soon enough. I am a long-time devotee of the classic MSH game.

              Overall, when it comes to supers gaming, I prefer simple implementation (ICONS, MSH, the way the new Marvel looks) to in depth crunchiness (HERO, M&M, and others). To be fair, if one of the crunchier ones worked out for me, I'd be down with it. I tend to find that the crunchier games spend too much time worrying about the mice while the elephants are running loose.

              --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Chris Miller <three_millers@...> wrote:

              > I have a regular group of adults and the main game there is D&D but I did run
              > them through Necessary Evil in 2010. With the kids I run M&M occasionally using
              > a battlemat and heroclix, but I run ICONS free-form - no mat, no minis, no table
              > - so it has a very different feel and brings out a different style of play.
              > We've played it more than anything over the last year or so. I've looked over
              > the new Marvel game and we will give it a try but it's hard to say how it will
              > go over but I would run it in a similar way to my ICONS games.

              > Sent: Thu, March 1, 2012 8:45:56 AM
              > Subject: [icons-rpg] How many people are actually playing ICONS? Superhero RPGs
              > in general?
              >

              > I'd count ones where ICONS has been or still is on the rotation list: just
              > because you're not playing ICONS right now doesn't mean you're not going to get
              > back to it. Electronic counts too.
              >
              > I ask because I was going to put up a link to last night's shenanigans, and then
              > I thought, well, folks are probably bored of them, and those that aren't can go
              > to the web page; I list every session. The ones who are bored, they have their
              > own games.
              >
              > (How many people are playing is of course separate from how many people are
              > bored with my links, but it brought the question to mind.)
              >
              > Which lead to wondering how to raise the profile of superhero games in general.
              > (I recently requested a generator from Chaoticshiny, who said essentially,
              > "Gosh, superhero games are too niche a market.") The first step is to figure out
              > how many people are buying or playing the games.
              >
              > John McMullen (Searching for a .sig)
              > jhmcmullen@...

            • Tommy Brownell
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1 3:28 PM
                ICONS? No.

                Marvel SAGA? Yes.

                I don't think raising the profile is an issue...though sustaining it may be.

                I'd count ones where ICONS has been or still is on the rotation list: just because you're not playing ICONS right now doesn't mean you're not going to get back to it. Electronic counts too.

                I ask because I was going to put up a link to last night's shenanigans, and then I thought, well, folks are probably bored of them, and those that aren't can go to the web page; I list every session. The ones who are bored, they have their own games.

                (How many people are playing is of course separate from how many people are bored with my links, but it brought the question to mind.)

                Which lead to wondering how to raise the profile of superhero games in general. (I recently requested a generator from Chaoticshiny, who said essentially, "Gosh, superhero games are too niche a market.") The first step is to figure out how many people are buying or playing the games.

                No virus found in this message.

              • Fabrício César Franco
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1 5:59 PM
                  2012/3/1 Seamus <sotp_seamus@...> wrote:

                  I currently am not playing anything regularly. Some may remember I had set up the PbP game, and that kind of fizzled out. I might be interested in starting it again at some point, if the interest is there.

                  From my part, there is interest.
                • Benzedrine Sneezer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2 3:07 PM
                    Not currently - I'm playing apocalypse world and getting ready to run Barbarians of Lemuria. I last run Icons back in December - trouble over Dunsmouth (or whatever the scenario was called). Played it sans miniatures and mat and it worked ok. I find I'm not a fan of the random power generation and random power levels - it makes characters too disparate. It's ok for one-off and short games, but I'll be using a more balanced system for campaign play. I've been working on my own system so will probably use that.

                    Benzedrine Sneezer

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2 4:20 PM
                      I routinely run superhero RPGs,. Mostly, it's Mutants & Masterminds, because there's more interest in it here. But we've been playing Icons a lot lately as well.

                      --
                      Hollis McCray
                      aka The Fifth Wanderer

                      ascensionschild@...

                    • MikeM
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 2 10:19 PM
                        I am currently not playing anything either.
                        D&D was the last campaign I played in but that ended over a year ago.
                        The last game I ran for any length of time was Marvel SAGA.  God, I loved that game.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 3 3:41 AM
                            Been GMing ICONS since I got fed up with 80s Marvel. I'm probably never going to use another superhero system, since what I liked was how similar they felt, while being better and a lot more playable (to my tastes).