Re: [icons-rpg] How to emulate this character in Icons?

  • Cameron Mount
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 9, 2012
      Seems to me that would fall within Wizardry, but I'm not sure how it would work without tons of determination to use for stunting powers. A power like Mutants and Masterminds' "Variable" effect is  essentially what you need, but closest ICONS has to that is the Wizardry power with power stunts.

      2012/2/9 Fabrício César Franco <fabfranco@...>

      Recently, my two friends and I started playing Icons. Both of them wanted to be Spiderman, so one of them is Ben Reilly's Red Spider. So far so good. I thought on bringing The Answer to challenge them, but I'm unable to flesh out his powers on Icons' style, and I quote: " Answer's powers are the answer to whatever he needs to resolve in any given situation; though he usually only develops 1-2 powers at a time, he has shown superhuman strength, speed and durability, as well as flight, force field formation, enhanced senses, etc. This can be a conscious effort, such as enhancing his hearing to listen to distant activities, or unconscious, as his body responds to stress. Usually his powers respond instantly, but he is occasionally taken by surprise before he can adapt."

      Can anybody help me on this?

      Thanks!

      Fabrício

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 9, 2012
        Sounds like Wizardry to me; and if he's a GM-run adversary, then he doesn't need Determination: each time he uses the Wizardry, the appropriate player gets a point of Determination.

        I'd probably add something to his Challenges, too; I don't know the Answer character (DC guy, myself), but something like "Powers take a small time to manifest--can be beaten through surprise or heavy use" or "Limit: three powers simultaneously from Wizardry"

        (Yes, the team of scientific monsters is coming: I was working on it last night, but people who aren't in my head probably deserve some explanatory text...)

        John McMullen (Young old coot)
        jhmcmullen@...

[...]

        • Fabrício César Franco
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 9, 2012
            Cameron & John,

            Thank you very much for your input. It really helped me. But I still have a doubt: Wizardry is said to be Cosmic, Gadgets or Magic. The Answer is not a magical character, much less a Gadgeteer. But he's not Cosmic either. Also, he can counter EVERY power or EVERY contingency. Wouldn't it be out of the Wizardry rules, as stated on the Core Book? Am I misinterpreting anything?

            Thanks again,

            Fabrício

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 9, 2012
              Have you thought about a variation of the Alter Ego power? Using the "Serial Alter Egos" option (like you had going in the PbP game), and say that he actually doesn't change physically; he just manifests new powers every time.

              Does that work?

              --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Fabrício César Franco <fabfranco@...> wrote:

              > Cameron & John,
              >
              > Thank you very much for your input. It really helped me. But I still have a
              > doubt: Wizardry is said to be Cosmic, Gadgets or Magic. The Answer is not a
              > magical character, much less a Gadgeteer. But he's not Cosmic either. Also,
              > he can counter EVERY power or EVERY contingency. Wouldn't it be out of the
              > Wizardry rules, as stated on the Core Book? Am I misinterpreting anything?
              >
              > Thanks again,
              >
              > Fabrício
              >
              > 2012/2/9 Cameron Mount <cameron.a.mount@...>
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > I knew Fabricio was talking about a villain, but when I was trying to
              > > figure out how to simulate the powers, I just totally spaced out. John is,
              > > of course, correct about the Determination.
              > >

              > > On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 14:20, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:
              > >
              > >> **
              > >>

              > >> Sounds like Wizardry to me; and if he's a GM-run adversary, then he
              > >> doesn't need Determination: each time he uses the Wizardry, the appropriate
              > >> player gets a point of Determination.
              > >>
              > >> I'd probably add something to his Challenges, too; I don't know the
              > >> Answer character (DC guy, myself), but something like "Powers take a small
              > >> time to manifest--can be beaten through surprise or heavy use" or
              > >> "Limit: three powers simultaneously from Wizardry"
              > >>
              > >> (Yes, the team of scientific monsters is coming: I was working on it last
              > >> night, but people who aren't in my head probably deserve some explanatory
              > >> text...)
              > >>
              > >> John McMullen (Young old coot)
              > >> jhmcmullen@...

            • Fabrício César Franco
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 9, 2012
                Cameron,

                It's an idea. But then again, it's not too 'by the rules', is it?

                Fabrício

                Recent Activity:
                Yahoo! Groups
              • Seamus
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 9, 2012
                  Sure it is. The only thing that Alter Ego assumes is that the power set is different every time. It does say you turn into an 'entirely different alternate character,' but there's nothing that says each new identity can't be the exact same guy. (It sounds goofy, but it isn't too far a stretch, is it?)

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 9, 2012
                    I would have just made the Wizardry Cosmic--based on Willpower--but Alter Ego works as well, and puts limitations on how many powers he can have.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Cameron Mount
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                      I wouldn't read too much into the fluff about Wizardry. The power's effect (powers come up as needed) is what you're looking for, and I think Wizardry is probably the best bet.

                      That said, Seamus' suggestion of Alter Ego is excellent as well. Again, the fluff text (create a new character) isn't as important as its mechanical effect (manifests new powers).

                    • Steve Kenson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                        On Feb 9, 2012, at 11:12 PM, icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                        I thought on bringing The Answer to challenge them, but I'm unable to flesh out his powers on Icons' style...

                        There are a number of possible answers (no pun intended) to this question, depending on your preferred approach:

                        #1 (The "By the Book" Answer): Wizardry, awarding players Determination when The Answer is able to mess with them by having just the right power to counteract whatever they can or are about to do. As others have cited, the three examples listed for Wizardry are just that, examples, not the sole options for the power.

                        #2 (The "ICONS Is Not Set In Stone" Answer): Just create a new power, called "Answer" perhaps, or "Nemesis," that does exactly what you describe:

                        The character's powers are the answer to whatever he needs to resolve in any given situation; though he
                        usually only develops 1-2 powers at a time. This can be a conscious effort or unconscious. Usually the power responds instantly, but if the character is taken by surprise, at least a page is required to adapt to the new circumstances. All powers acquired in this way are limited to a level no more than the power's level or the level needed to resolve the situation (whichever is less) and last until the current situation is resolved.

                        After all, you're not limited to just the powers in the rulebook. They're a jumping off point, not a hard list of the only things you can do in the game.

                        #3 (The "Game Master Is King" Answer): Since The Answer is a villain, it hardly matters how his power is defined in game-terms, apart from the guidelines you provided. Just give him whatever powers are needed to deal with his current circumstances, awarding the players Determination if that poses an additional challenge for them, and get on with the game.

                        I'd probably implement #2 in my game, just because designing new things tends to be my response to such needs, but go with the solution that suits you best.

                      • Fabrício César Franco

                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                            Oh, I am crushed! (grin)

                            It is nice--not quite vital, but really, really nice--to have Mr. Kenson's blessing.

                            As far as creating new powers goes, I'm willing to do it, but I have to be convinced that modifying or mangling another power won't do it first--at least in a list like this. I think the rules as written form a common basis for discussion. In person, I'd probably just call it the Nemesis power and be done with it, with the proviso that it costs Determination somehow or generates Determination for the players, because it can certainly be frustrating. (Actually, I lean toward #3 in play, but I like to make it fair that the players could get the power as well.)

                            For instance, I can certainly imagine it being done as two powers, offensive and defensive, and it's a bonus power to have the other (like Elemental Control, but with fewer categories) or limited to 2 powers at a time, but for a bonus power, you can double it.

                            Or for point buy and for designed villains I have the house rule: "With GM's Approval, an Advantage/Flaw is +1 point/-1 point if they can't be done through Aspects, and something that would raise the per-rank cost in Mutants & Masterminds is a bonus power" -- but I'd be very careful about sending that stuff out to the list. Not everyone has those rules, or wants them. (If I sent more stuff to the wiki or the list, I guess I'd have to keep two or three versions of characters: official and houseruled, for starters.)

                            John McMullen (Looking for a new sig)

                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                              John,

                              Indeed, your remarks make a lot of sense. I don't quite understand M&M rules, as much as I try to reread them. Too clumsy of me or two number-clutttered, I guess. But I would keep in mind about GM's approval whenever it comes to inventing or interpreting new powers.

                              Fabrício
                            • Theron Bretz
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                                Since I've already posted here, I guess I should take a moment to say Hi.  I'm Theron.  I've been playing supers games ever since I stayed home sick in 11th grade and used the Gamma World mutation tables to make up superheroes to fight over a graph paper map of generic skyscrapers.  I've played just about every superhero game out there, but Icons is my current favorite.  I wrote "Sins of the Past" for Adamant, and since then have mostly busied myself playing around with character creation, hoping to get a campaign going "real soon now."

                                Some of y'all may know me from RPGnet or other online haunts.

                                I keep a gaming blog, which is mostly trivial, but I went through a period last year where I published a bunch of Icons characters.  If you follow this link, you can see them.

                                http://myolddice.blogspot.com/search/label/Icons

                                (Comments welcome, here or there.)

                                I plan on doing some new ones, now that I've figured out why the Animated version of Heromatic stopped working for me and how to fix it.

                                Theron
                                Houston
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                                  Hi Theron,

                                  As I mentioned before "Sins of the Past" is awesome. Have you considered writing some more adventures for Icons? I seem to remember Gareth mentioning last week he needed to get more Icons stuff in the pipeline.

                                  Also, tell us more about this Animated Heromatic thing and how to fix it.

                                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                                    I had another one in the pipeline at one point, and spiked it.  I couldn't get the pictures in my brain to come out right on the printed page.  I'm pretty sure if I toss something new over Gareth's transom, he'll take a look at it, but I'm my own worst critic about these things, so I don't have anything planned right now.

                                    Thanks for the kind words about "Sins."  It was a labor of love.

                                    Theron
                                    Houston

                                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                                      I noticed you were on G+ too, so I circled you. Loved your adventure by the way.

                                      --
                                      Ron Frazier
                                      ronfraz63@...
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                                        Perhaps I shall circle Mr. Bretz too. Hmm... I've got so many social media things that I haven't time to do any of them.

                                        Welcome, glad to have you. Sins was indeed an excellent adventure, and I was tickled you had read the description of our group's version.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                                          Your blog is good stuff all around, Theron! I've been enjoying reading through the ICONS characters for awhile now.

                                          You mentioned having had some trouble with Fábrica de Heróis animated. Whenever I try this particular version of the Flash program, I get to about my second or third option selection and the whole thing (drawing area as well as menu palettes) goes white/blank on me, and I can't recover or get back. What did you do to fix the problem you were having?

                                          Best,
                                          jaerdaph
                                          JUST ADD HEROES
                                          An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales
                                          http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com

                                          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Theron Bretz <tfbretz@...> wrote:

                                          > Since I've already posted here, I guess I should take a moment to say Hi. I'm
                                          > Theron. I've been playing supers games ever since I stayed home sick in 11th
                                          > grade and used the Gamma World mutation tables to make up superheroes to fight
                                          > over a graph paper map of generic skyscrapers. I've played just about every
                                          > superhero game out there, but Icons is my current favorite. I wrote "Sins of
                                          > the Past" for Adamant, and since then have mostly busied myself playing around
                                          > with character creation, hoping to get a campaign going "real soon now."
                                          >
                                          > Some of y'all may know me from RPGnet or other online haunts.
                                          >
                                          > I keep a gaming blog, which is mostly trivial, but I went through a period last
                                          > year where I published a bunch of Icons characters. If you follow this link,
                                          > you can see them.
                                          >
                                          > http://myolddice.blogspot.com/search/label/Icons
                                          >
                                          > (Comments welcome, here or there.)
                                          >
                                          > I plan on doing some new ones, now that I've figured out why the Animated
                                          > version of Heromatic stopped working for me and how to fix it.
                                          >
                                          > Theron
                                          > Houston

                                        • Theron Bretz
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                                            >>You mentioned having had some trouble with Fábrica de Heróis animated. Whenever
                                            >>I try this particular version of the Flash program, I get to about my second or
                                            >>third option selection and the whole thing (drawing area as well as menu
                                            >>palettes) goes white/blank on me, and I can't recover or get back. What did you
                                            >>do to fix the problem you were having? <<<

                                            That's the same problem I had. After a lot of trial and error, using the
                                            Fabrica site as well as my local copy, I finally discovered that it didn't
                                            happen if I used an older version of IE (8 or earlier). I'm mostly a Firefox
                                            guy, but I still have IE8 on my computer, and it's the only thing that's worked
                                            so far. IE9 has the same problem (I checked it from work) and Firefox started
                                            doing it around version 9 it seems, so something about both of those browsers is
                                            causing the foul-up.

                                            Since I've got a local version of the animated style tool (it...fell off a
                                            truck, yeah), I just open it in IE and it works for me.

                                            Theron
                                            Houston
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
                                              Yeah, the problem started in Firefox 9 for me and persists in Firefox 10. I still have IE8 installed so I'll give that a try. I don't have a local copy though.

                                              Thanks!

                                              jaerdaph