Re: [icons-rpg] Team Aspects for the Avengers and Justice League?

  • Theron Bretz
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9, 2012
      "Avengers Assemble!" is an obvious starting point.

      Theron
      Houston

      On Feb 9, 2012, at 11:28 AM, Ron Frazier <ronfraz63@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      As the subject line refers to, what would be some Qualities and Challenges of the Avengers and the Justice League? Surely someone has thought about this ;-).

      --
      Ron Frazier
      ronfraz63@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9, 2012
        I was thinking:

        Qualities
        Catchphrase: "Avengers Assemble!"
        Connection: SHIELD
        Epithet: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

        Challenges
        Enemies: AIM, Hydra, Masters of Evil
        Personal: Disparate Group of Individuals

        Anything big I'm missing?

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9, 2012
          Looks good.

          Potentially I might suggest swapping "SHIELD" for "Avengers Priority" as the Avengers connects go much wider than just SHIELD.

          Also adding "Revolving membership" or swapping it for "disparate group of individuals".  In most Avengers stories I recall just as they win their greatest victory half the team quits which throws them into chaos again.

          Of course you can't really force players periodically to quit the Avengers and roll a new member, can you?

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 9, 2012

            Hey folks,

            Sorry to horn in on your topic here, but is there a book out for ICONs that goes into more detail on team building?

            -Eli

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 9, 2012
              It's called ICONS Team Up and it hasn't been released yet. You can pre-order it on Adamant Entertainment's website. It should be coming out soon.

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 9, 2012
                Justice League is less cohesive. My comments will be vague and not associated with the current one, because I haven't read any of the new 52.

                Since they don't have a catchy call or a crotchety butler, I'd probably sum it up with two Team Aspects:

                Aspects:

                "Justice League resources" You got a signal device, often teleporters in your own home, you got to call on other powerful members or inquire of the database, or use things from the trophy case when things were dire. I think the signal devices were coated with hot pepper extract or something, because no one ever remembered them in their own books, but they were there.

                "Connection: UN, many governments" A lot of governments handed you trust (well, didn't shoot you on sight); the League had some contact in most countries, although there were rogue states where they didn't. (I'm thinking Bialya, especially.)

                Challenges:

                "Obligations of membership" The obvious one is monitor duty, but the writers for the League are always able to pull out some odd requirement for members in order to generate whatever conflict they needed. You can't call a more powerful member at whim: it has to be justified. Whatever you do, there are equally- or more-powerful members judging you. You have to be a certain age, if you're human (I think it was 21). Batman was always watching, and you *knew* he had a plan to take you down. (Replaced by "Obligations of associate membership" for some few heroes.)

                "Constantly tested" Not just by the assorted alien dictators and enemies such as Starro and Prometheus, no, various other groups either created superfolk to fight the League or replace the League; supervillains banded together to form opponent groups (and disbanded).

                "Old boys club" I'd use this to indicate that the league doesn't really design itself: while the Avengers secretly keep an eye out for abilities they need and the heck with personalities (which causes them friction), to a large extent, the League looks for personalities that will mesh and the heck with the powers. Snapper Carr as mascot, in the early days; many of the unpowered heroes have the grit but not the power (Vigilante, anyone?): they've got spunk and they're willing to wear a costume, so that's good enough for us.

                John McMullen (Young old coot)
                jhmcmullen@...

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 9, 2012
                  The JLA are definitely a tougher bunch to associate with aspects.

                  Depending on the era, "Bwahahaha!" might qualify.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 9, 2012
                    Does (or did) the Justice League have flight rings? I can't remember if it was them or the Legion of Super-Heroes.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 9, 2012
                      Flight rings are the LSH.

                      Sent from my iPhone