Re: [icons-rpg] Re: Villainomicon Teams

    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
      Very nice!

      In the back of my mind I have a theme--gadget-using villains who can't maintain them. In my head, they meet one another as they're passing to or from Smith's current lair, and decide they can work together and form a group...so long as Smith gets a cut of the profits to be on retainer. But I haven't done any serious looking at characters.

      I very much like the Crime-Team as a group that the players could meet, and it's good to give Incognito some love.

      The Brain Trust (that's what you mean instead of Brian Trust, right?) also strikes me as having a nice theme for generating crimes.

      Apex I have some trouble with: I have a problem believing they'd work together, but the right backstory can overcome that. What's Professor Hominid's plan/technique for getting them together?

      Kaos Factor I like better with Recluse, and Speed Demon trying to make time with both Fox and Blonde Bombshell.

      Again--very nice!

      John McMullen (Young old coot) jhmcmullen@...
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
        I was a little torn regarding the Crime-Team in so far that there may be a little too much overlap between Incognito and Copy Cat. Also the team seems to be missing a real leader figure.  I could see the Merry Widow as potentially a better fit than Copy Cat but the simple truth is I don't care for the character very much.

        The link between the Apex members is that they all have a bit of a Nietzschean thing, or atleast in the more pop use of the term. Whether they would actually managed to stick together I don't know, but then what supervillain does.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
          Maybe Apex is one of those teams that shows up once or twice to menace the heroes and then falls apart...only to have each member reconstitute it with himself or herself as the lead, and then the players have to contain the propert damage as the versions of the team slug it out!

          And Professor Hominid foresaw this and set it up, getting the idea from the Mastermind Affair.... (Because, when you're immortal, there's almost nothing you won't do for self-sustaining entertainment. "I have been staked out in the Serengheti desert for a decade, without food or water. It took me another century, weakened as I was, to crawl to civilization and another century to rebuild my empire.  I have used the resources of my mind. This....this is better than cable. By far. I have started two dozen of these experiments and watch each come to messy fruition. Would you like a fruit pie?")

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
            In my mind, Copy Cat is overt: she takes over the abilities of a person and enjoys being as good as they are.

            Incognito is about subterfuge. He might be a leader at home, but in the field, it's Copy Cat. She's got a power that pretty much calls for her to think on her feet and adjust to changing abilities and conditions.

            A possibility is to have someone else (Professor Hominid again?) fund them as a cash-making scheme. Kind of like Charlie's Angels: they only know him as an electronic voice on the line.

            I also think that Sigma-9 and Skeletron could join up, one handling the overt confrontation and one handling the subtle one.

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
              This is pretty cool. Much like Spider-Man's Sinister Six, who always had organizational troubles.

              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
                Mostly I'm thinking you'd need someone with the sort of leadership skills to keep Sock Puppet in line and be the Hannibal Smith role. If I were to use the Crime-Team in one game I'd be tempted to just bump up Copy Cat's Intellect and Willpower just a tad be done with it.

                Of course, for the purposes of this thread, that's would be highly improper :-)

                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 3, 2012
                  Possibly a separate thread--maybe "Villain Teams"--but would anyone object if I posted a homemade group of characters intended to act as a team?

                  This could also go on the wiki, but I'm looking for some quicker and more direct feedback than that.

                  John

                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 3, 2012
                    Object? I look forward to it!

                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 3, 2012
                      Oh, you know not what you say. :)

                      Reunion dinner and party tonight, show and party tomorrow night (50th anniversary of the theatre group we all belonged to), and some kind of talent show on Sunday, so I doubt I'll get to it before Monday, but we'll see.

                      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 3, 2012
                          I'd love to see a villain team posted here - maybe in the files section for easy reference...