Villainomicon Teams

    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 25, 2012

      Anyone ever tried this: take the villains from the rulebook and Villaincomicon and arrange them intp the Iconsverse equivalent of the Masters of Evil or Frightful Four?

      Sins of the Past of course does that.
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 25, 2012
        Here's my idea for a villainous team-up:

        The Tetrad of Terror
        1. Woody (Hero Pack 2)
        2. Drusilla White (Villainomicon)
        3. Smoke (Devilish Duos: Smoke & Mirrors)
        4. Mirrors Devilish Duos: Smoke & Mirrors)

        jaerdaph
        JUST ADD HEROES
        An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales
        http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 25, 2012
          I'm not sure if that counts, because I suspect Sins of the Past came first, and it was harvested for the Villainomicon. (I'd be just as happy to be wrong, though.)

          Too many of the characters in Villainomicon seemed to be world-beaters to me for me to challenge my players, back when they were the worst-funded team in Canada. But it's a neat idea.

          John McMullen (Young old coot) jhmcmullen@...
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 25, 2012
            My previous comments notwithstanding (because you only used one character from Villainomicon), that's a pretty cool team.

            I think there's a lot of overlap in the villains from Villainomicon so it's tough to match them up, but if I were trying to put together a team:

            Rorek
            Tarpit
            Ultra-Mind
            Wraith

            All are non-human or ex-human; there's some mix of range (stretching), mental abilities, strength. They lack some kind of real transportantion, but the idea that Ultra-Mind (who was a scientist) as bamboozled Tarpit into thinking he's going to help him, in just a little while, and in the meantime, Rorek can cool Tarpit down so he's not sticky... Rorek is looking for a way to break free from the Octofather, whom he now sees as controlling, and who occasionally clashes with Ultra-Mind about leading the group; and Wraith as the loose cannon who has attached herself to Rorek. They have a rotating member who's just whoever I felt like including for the adventure: maybe Monster Mastermind, or Zero is trying to join but he's too human and bothers everyone...

            ADVENTURE IDEA: They're holding auditions, and the first the heroes hear about it is when the team (four plus whoever's auditioning) hits a target. And then the four plus a different one hit *another* target. Will the heroes figure it out in time?

            Drusilla, on the other hand, might put together a team if she needed one as a diversion for whatever she's *really* doing. For instance, perhaps she puts together (through cutouts) a Team of Fearless Vampire Hunters who find her targets and unknowingly leave them in a state where she can diabolize them. (Since she's killed only by burning or beheading, I presume other vampires are like that too: let's say the stake only immobilizes them, and she's given the Hunters lots of stakes....) How would the heroes discover that? And what would they do?

            John McMullen (Young old coot) jhmcmullen@...
            Here's my idea for a villainous team-up:

            The Tetrad of Terror
            1. Woody (Hero Pack 2)
            2. Drusilla White (Villainomicon)
            3. Smoke (Devilish Duos: Smoke & Mirrors)
            4. Mirrors Devilish Duos: Smoke & Mirrors)

            jaerdaph
            JUST ADD HEROES
            An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales
            http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com

            > Anyone ever tried this: take the villains from the rulebook and Villaincomicon and arrange them intp the Iconsverse equivalent of the Masters of Evil or Frightful Four?
            > Sins of the Past of course does that.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
                icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 25, 2012

              Oh, I like that team! You just need a  name. "Humanity Lost"? "The Exhumans"?

              To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                In a game, I'd probably use "The Inhumans," because Wraith and Tarpit probably regard themselves as freaks, and Rorek and Ultra-Mind probably regard themselves as, well, nonhuman. For publication, I'd stay away from that because Marvel has it trademarked (though I'd be tempted to go with The Uncanny Exmen).  Probably The Exhumans, but I might go with some variation on Kith: Kith or Kill, Next Kith, or...ah. Given the Ultra-Mind's fixation: The New Hierarchy. Doesn't tie them down to a number (though they could go with something like Hierarchy Four).

                It just now occurs to me that with one member mechanical and one insubstantial, they could keep the headquarters at only a few degrees above freezing, where Tarpit is not gooey: in that way, he feels more like a real person, and he makes sure he thaws out sufficiently before a job.

                It would probably add an extra layer of soap opera and poignancy to have him infatuated with the woman he *thinks* that Wraith was.

                Rorek would be the tactical one, agitating for just the right mix of supers. He's been beaten various times while working for the Octofather and there's a certain amount of self worth on the line: he has to make good. The excuse before was that he had saddled himself with the limitations that the Octofather had, but not now. He probably leaves on occasion and commits small crimes just so that he can defeat the local superhero. To feel better about himself. (A way for the heroes to discover him.) He doesn't kill them or anything: he just wants them to know they've been beaten.

                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                  And right after I sent that, it occurred to me:

                  The Hierarchy for the Evolution of Mankind: THEM

                  "Look, it's THEM!"

                  I think Greg Porter used something similar in the first edition of CORPS, but not quite the same, so I'm safe. :)

                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                    The Inhumanoids?

                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                      > My previous comments notwithstanding (because you only used one character from Villainomicon), that's a pretty cool team.

                      Thanks! Yeah, I guess I cheated by going outside the Villainomicon. :)

                      > I think there's a lot of overlap in the villains from Villainomicon so it's tough to match them up, but if I were trying to put together a team:
                      >
                      > Rorek
                      > Tarpit
                      > Ultra-Mind
                      > Wraith

                      Cool - that's a well thought out team built along a common theme. I like the "rotating slot" idea too - like having a guest star.

                      > Drusilla, on the other hand, might put together a team if she needed one as a diversion for whatever she's *really* doing. For instance, perhaps she puts together (through cutouts) a Team of Fearless Vampire Hunters who find her targets and unknowingly leave them in a state where she can diabolize them. (Since she's killed only by burning or beheading, I presume other vampires are like that too: let's say the stake only immobilizes them, and she's given the Hunters lots of stakes....) How would the heroes discover that? And what would they do?

                      The idea of a stake immobilizing but not destroying a vampire is a very astute extrapolation to arrive at based on the description of Drusilla in the Villainomicon - I like it and have incorporated it into a vampire build I shared on my blog tonight. Basically, it's still a vampiric weakness Challenge that allows for an automatic successful stun (unconsciousness) that lasts until the stake is removed. I think by making the stun automatic on any successful stake through the heart attack helps to balance some of the high number of points it takes to build a vampire that is true to theme. Anyhow, here's my build:
                      http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-villain-count-orlock.html

                      Best,
                      jaerdaph
                    • MikeM
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                        As a Canadian, I wouldn't mind hearing some more about the worst funded team in Canada. You don't happen to have an Actual Play thread written anywhere do you?

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
                          I am also a Canadian (though not actually in Halifax.)

                          You can assemble it from actual play summaries on LiveLink--I put links to them all here: http://doc-lemming.livejournal.com/127868.html

                          I think all but the last two of the Halifax adventures are actually as PDF on the icons-rpg Yahoo web site, but I'm updating that in the next few days, along with putting the "What Do You Do With ICONS?" notes.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 27, 2012
                            In fairness, I think the "stake immobilizes" idea was part of Vampire: The Masquerade. It just seemed to fit with the Challenges given to Drusilla.

                            To a certain extent, I wonder if maybe the problem with the Villainomicon as a source for villain teams isn't that most of the villains are meant to be world-beaters, a threat to the whole team. Yeah, there are some weaker villains (though there are few villains of colour for Black Flame to team up with), but not many. People like Tempus Khan and Dirge and Warlock don't form teams, not really: they might assemble a group, but you figure they'll drop them as soon as it's convenient.

                            I was trying to assemble an all-female team that was (a) tactically reasonably sound (though a big hole was acceptable), (b) had a reason to stick together, and (c) did not contain assassins, and it was quite difficult, using just the villains in the Villainomicon. I'd have to open membership up to the main book and the adventures, too.

                            I can see the women from Sins of the Past heading off to be their own group.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 27, 2012
                              I think your probably right, it may be a case the Villainomicon has too many chiefs and not enough indians (can one still use that expression in this day and age or is it not-PC?) which is what I guess it what makes the exercise interesting.

                              Smith and Blonde Bombshell both an feminist theme (and there is my second PC strike of the day, I am doing well). With a bit flexibility I think they end up team-up with Warbride from the Sisterhood and Black Flame who is a "sister" from the "hood" (...and here comes my ban). That would provide a team with an interesting rang of powers that passes my comicbook logic test.

                              The other natural combination thematically if Copycat, Fox and Merry Widow but they are all a bit similar.

                              To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 27, 2012
                                Yeah, I thought of Copycat, Fox, and Warbride: but Warbride has the assassin thing going on, and Fox seems like she has to descend a bit morally before she goes there.

                                If it weren't for the "Black Flame teams up with minorities" thing, I'd totally go for the other teaming.

                                Though, as I mentioned on my blog, one of the adventures I came up with as a possibility for the HPS adventures I run is that Columbine has an argument and leaves Harlequin (for a while). She hooks up with the students (she can still pass for 17 or 18, and there are a number of odd-looking people at a supers school).

                                So the players hook up with her, and Harlequin and his animated objects try to get her back. Obviously, the first couple of times are rebuffed by the players, but by the third one they've given C. the answer to whatever was fretting them--hook that up with a dating drama among the students--and Harlequin and Columbine make up. And for those who want a big fight, be aware that they are releasing a couple who are pretty much guaranteed to go on to a life of crime...

                                John

                                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 29, 2012
                                  Okay, I spent a bit of time on this. Discovered one villain team mentioned in the Villainomicon (the Freedom Four), stuck with John's Exhuman team which for me works really well and had a stab a grouping some of the rest, including some from the main Icons book. It's still first cut so any feedback is welcome.

                                  The Crime-Team

                                  Theme: If you have a crime to commit, if no one else can help, and if you can afford them, maybe you can hire... The Crime-Team.

                                  Incognito

                                  Copy Cat

                                  Speedsaw

                                  Smith

                                  Sock Puppet

                                  The Brian Trust

                                  Theme: Mad scientists looking to fund their research

                                  Zero

                                  Creeper

                                  Downsizer

                                  Apex

                                  Theme: Professor Hominid's team high achievers

                                  Professor Hominid (behind the scenes)

                                  Beastman

                                  Warbride

                                  Sigma-9

                                  Kaos Factor

                                  Theme: Glamorous crooks (with Recluse for contrast)

                                  Fox

                                  Recluse (or Troll)

                                  Speed Demon

                                  Blonde Bombshell

                                  Exhumans (from John McMullen post)

                                  Theme: villians who are not quite human

                                  Rorek

                                  Tarpit

                                  Ultra-Mind

                                  Wraith

                                  Freedom Four (from Black Flame's bio in the Villainomicon )

                                  Theme: Politically aware, anti-establishment villains

                                  Arobas

                                  Pulsar

                                  Black Flame

                                  Baron Kriminel

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 29, 2012
                                    Very nice!

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
                                      Very nice!

                                      In the back of my mind I have a theme--gadget-using villains who can't maintain them. In my head, they meet one another as they're passing to or from Smith's current lair, and decide they can work together and form a group...so long as Smith gets a cut of the profits to be on retainer. But I haven't done any serious looking at characters.

                                      I very much like the Crime-Team as a group that the players could meet, and it's good to give Incognito some love.

                                      The Brain Trust (that's what you mean instead of Brian Trust, right?) also strikes me as having a nice theme for generating crimes.

                                      Apex I have some trouble with: I have a problem believing they'd work together, but the right backstory can overcome that. What's Professor Hominid's plan/technique for getting them together?

                                      Kaos Factor I like better with Recluse, and Speed Demon trying to make time with both Fox and Blonde Bombshell.

                                      Again--very nice!

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
                                        I was a little torn regarding the Crime-Team in so far that there may be a little too much overlap between Incognito and Copy Cat. Also the team seems to be missing a real leader figure.  I could see the Merry Widow as potentially a better fit than Copy Cat but the simple truth is I don't care for the character very much.

                                        The link between the Apex members is that they all have a bit of a Nietzschean thing, or atleast in the more pop use of the term. Whether they would actually managed to stick together I don't know, but then what supervillain does.

                                        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
                                          Maybe Apex is one of those teams that shows up once or twice to menace the heroes and then falls apart...only to have each member reconstitute it with himself or herself as the lead, and then the players have to contain the propert damage as the versions of the team slug it out!

                                          And Professor Hominid foresaw this and set it up, getting the idea from the Mastermind Affair.... (Because, when you're immortal, there's almost nothing you won't do for self-sustaining entertainment. "I have been staked out in the Serengheti desert for a decade, without food or water. It took me another century, weakened as I was, to crawl to civilization and another century to rebuild my empire.  I have used the resources of my mind. This....this is better than cable. By far. I have started two dozen of these experiments and watch each come to messy fruition. Would you like a fruit pie?")

                                          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
                                            In my mind, Copy Cat is overt: she takes over the abilities of a person and enjoys being as good as they are.

                                            Incognito is about subterfuge. He might be a leader at home, but in the field, it's Copy Cat. She's got a power that pretty much calls for her to think on her feet and adjust to changing abilities and conditions.

                                            A possibility is to have someone else (Professor Hominid again?) fund them as a cash-making scheme. Kind of like Charlie's Angels: they only know him as an electronic voice on the line.

                                            I also think that Sigma-9 and Skeletron could join up, one handling the overt confrontation and one handling the subtle one.

                                            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
                                              This is pretty cool. Much like Spider-Man's Sinister Six, who always had organizational troubles.

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012
                                                Mostly I'm thinking you'd need someone with the sort of leadership skills to keep Sock Puppet in line and be the Hannibal Smith role. If I were to use the Crime-Team in one game I'd be tempted to just bump up Copy Cat's Intellect and Willpower just a tad be done with it.

                                                Of course, for the purposes of this thread, that's would be highly improper :-)

                                                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 3, 2012
                                                  Possibly a separate thread--maybe "Villain Teams"--but would anyone object if I posted a homemade group of characters intended to act as a team?

                                                  This could also go on the wiki, but I'm looking for some quicker and more direct feedback than that.

                                                  John

                                                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Feb 3, 2012
                                                    Object? I look forward to it!

                                                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Feb 3, 2012
                                                      Oh, you know not what you say. :)

                                                      Reunion dinner and party tonight, show and party tomorrow night (50th anniversary of the theatre group we all belonged to), and some kind of talent show on Sunday, so I doubt I'll get to it before Monday, but we'll see.

                                                      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                                      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                                        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                                        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Feb 3, 2012
                                                          I'd love to see a villain team posted here - maybe in the files section for easy reference...