Re: [icons-rpg] Re: Origin Stories

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 22, 2012
      I'm not going to say anything new, so skip this if you want.

      Steve's suggestion works very well if everyone's going to share something like "Transformed" or "Birthright" or "Unearthly" (which just seems to happen in my in-person groups: three of the four fill be aliens, for example).

      If you want to keep the origins as random, you have everyone get their powers in the same event but have different responses to it. So they have the same origin story ("We were all assigned to work on analyzing the Omega Event, and we thought we had it: we were trying to duplicate it on a small scale. Poor Carruthers was at point zero when it got out of control, but his ghost has stayed." (Unearthly) "On the other hand, the event seems to have brought out a latent mutation in M'cabe's genome." (Transformed) "I've been developing some technology to help us." (Gimmick) "And originally we thought that Pinot was like M'cabe, but it turns out he was from a secret organization that was watching us." (Birthright)

      The event can affect a team (a legacy kind of thing, an accident that happens to a group investigating) or it can affect only certain individuals (the Wold-Newton families, or everyone in Pittsburgh when the Whiteout happens). If you pick your reason carefully, you can have random character generation.

      John McMullen (Young old coot) jhmcmullen@...