Re: What do people want to see?

  • Seamus
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
      I'd like to see an ICONS take on MegaMind/Necessary Evil. For those of you that aren't familiar, these settings imply that something terrible has happened to the hero/heroes, and the only one/ones left to save the day are the villains. This would allow players to create a hero with pretty cloudy morality and watch what happens when those characters are dropped into situations that would be uncomfortable for the non-altruistic character.

      > In adventures, I mean.
      >
      > By the time something gets to kickstarter country, the tone and direction are generally set. But for things that are before that, what do you want?
      >
      > I'd like straight-up SF adventures, and things with a mystic theme, and stuff I can fit into the Hope Prep setting I have going. (You notice some of those things are contradictory.)
      >
      > I'd love an ICONS version of the Oktobermen, or more groups generally. (hmm...I could use DOOM as a modified Alchemical Cabal).
      >
      > Straight-up heroes, a la the Hero Packs, don't interest me as much as adventures or mini-adventures I can twist and make my own.
      >
      > John

    • Michael Hopcroft
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012

        I would like to see a few comedic adventures, but more based on the foibles of the characters involved rather than outright gags. And those foibles do not have to be outright madness. Perhaps the characters want to do something reasonable but circumstances intervene that lead to humorous complications. Or villains just happen to be naturally funny or witty – they can tell a joke or drop a one-liner that is actually funny. But there are stakes involved in the adventure so it’s not entirely played for laughs….

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
          Yeah I like adventures. If I 'm running an Icons campaign I'll probably just run my own material. But I also enjoy Icons for quick, often unscheduled one-shots and for those short, quality, stand alone adventures that can picked up and run are handy to have.

          The key is word is quality.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
            I'm glad you brought this up. This is something I struggled with for the kickstarter.

            You want to incorporate feedback.
            But you want to do in a meaningful way.
            Guys who do kickstarters for films or webseries will give the contributors a vote on casting options, for example.

            So - I'm debating adding a TBD slot. A 6th adventure which is yet to be determined and whose content will be selected by the contributors.

            It will unlock when the original funding goal is set - and everyone who has contributed at a certain level or higher (5 or 10 bucks) gets to vote from a slate of possible adventures (some suggested by me, and some suggested by other contributors.)

            Along those same lines, we'll probably have input from the contributors on cover ideas, the images of the villains in the adventure and so on.

            If we do better than expected, we could have additional TDB slots that unlock for every additional $120 we raise above the initial goal.

            Just an idea - what do you guys think?

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
              To me, it sounds like a great idea.

              On 2012-01-05, at 5:45 PM, "dirkgentry2000" <dirkgentry2000@...> wrote:

              > I'm glad you brought this up. This is something I struggled with for the kickstarter.
              >
              > You want to incorporate feedback.
              > But you want to do in a meaningful way.
              > Guys who do kickstarters for films or webseries will give the contributors a vote on casting options, for example.
              >
              > So - I'm debating adding a TBD slot. A 6th adventure which is yet to be determined and whose content will be selected by the contributors.
              >
              > It will unlock when the original funding goal is set - and everyone who has contributed at a certain level or higher (5 or 10 bucks) gets to vote from a slate of possible adventures (some suggested by me, and some suggested by other contributors.)
              >
              > Along those same lines, we'll probably have input from the contributors on cover ideas, the images of the villains in the adventure and so on.
              >
              > If we do better than expected, we could have additional TDB slots that unlock for every additional $120 we raise above the initial goal.
              >
              > Just an idea - what do you guys think?
              >
              > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Hopcroft" <mhopcroft@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I would like to see a few comedic adventures, but more based on the foibles
              >> of the characters involved rather than outright gags. And those foibles do
              >> not have to be outright madness. Perhaps the characters want to do something
              >> reasonable but circumstances intervene that lead to humorous complications.
              >> Or villains just happen to be naturally funny or witty - they can tell a
              >> joke or drop a one-liner that is actually funny. But there are stakes
              >> involved in the adventure so it's not entirely played for laughs..

            • Colin T
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                I'd second this idea, I'd like to run something like this since one of the players in the group I game with doesn't like superhero games the one time i did run it he tried to turn his hero into a murderer when pitted up against a possessed foe so I'm not so sure how to get around that problem but doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested if this came up for sale!

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                  I am currently running Necessary Evil with Icons. As villains the player characters have made done some questionable things, but really it's no worse than your average Shadowrun or even D&D party. I made it make it clear at the start I didn't want downright nastiness and I was basically looking for characters who were flawed individuals rather than psychos and sadists.

                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                  From: sotp_seamus@...
                  Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 20:44:31 +0000
                  Subject: [icons-rpg] Re: What do people want to see?

                  I'd like to see an ICONS take on MegaMind/Necessary Evil. For those of you that aren't familiar, these settings imply that something terrible has happened to the hero/heroes, and the only one/ones left to save the day are the villains. This would allow players to create a hero with pretty cloudy morality and watch what happens when those characters are dropped into situations that would be uncomfortable for the non-altruistic character.

                  > In adventures, I mean.
                  >
                  > By the time something gets to kickstarter country, the tone and direction are generally set. But for things that are before that, what do you want?
                  >
                  > I'd like straight-up SF adventures, and things with a mystic theme, and stuff I can fit into the Hope Prep setting I have going. (You notice some of those things are contradictory.)
                  >
                  > I'd love an ICONS version of the Oktobermen, or more groups generally. (hmm...I could use DOOM as a modified Alchemical Cabal).
                  >
                  > Straight-up heroes, a la the Hero Packs, don't interest me as much as adventures or mini-adventures I can twist and make my own.
                  >
                  > John

                • Seamus
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                    Yeah, I see this, but more in the over-the-top four color type villain. Think Dr. Doom and Lex Luthor going into business together, but as their Saturday Morning cartoon selves. :)

                    > I am currently running Necessary Evil with Icons. As villains the player characters have made done some questionable things, but really it's no worse than your average Shadowrun or even D&D party. I made it make it clear at the start I didn't want downright nastiness and I was basically looking for characters who were flawed individuals rather than psychos and sadists.
                    >
                    > To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: sotp_seamus@...
                    > Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 20:44:31 +0000
                    > Subject: [icons-rpg] Re: What do people want to see?

                    > I'd like to see an ICONS take on MegaMind/Necessary Evil. For those of you that aren't familiar, these settings imply that something terrible has happened to the hero/heroes, and the only one/ones left to save the day are the villains. This would allow players to create a hero with pretty cloudy morality and watch what happens when those characters are dropped into situations that would be uncomfortable for the non-altruistic character.
                    >

                    > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@> wrote:
                    >

                    > > In adventures, I mean.
                    >

                    > > By the time something gets to kickstarter country, the tone and direction are generally set. But for things that are before that, what do you want?
                    >

                    > > I'd like straight-up SF adventures, and things with a mystic theme, and stuff I can fit into the Hope Prep setting I have going. (You notice some of those things are contradictory.)
                    >

                    > > I'd love an ICONS version of the Oktobermen, or more groups generally. (hmm...I could use DOOM as a modified Alchemical Cabal).
                    >

                    > > Straight-up heroes, a la the Hero Packs, don't interest me as much as adventures or mini-adventures I can twist and make my own.
                    >

                    > > John

                  • Colin T
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                      If I thought I could get away with it I'd run a game where the players run members of a retired supervillain team from the 80's & 90's and trying to cope with the modern age where the heroes of this time force them to come out of retirement to protect their home from a far worse menace... celebrity obsessed superheroes!

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
                        More adventures - that's what I really want to see. Generic adventures that can be plugged in to my game with minimal effort (like Adamant Entertainment's adventures, Vigilance Press's Action Scenes and Ad Infinitium's RetConQuest) as well as setting-specific adventures for publisher campaign settings (like ION Guard, Hope Prep, USHER and Amazing Stories of WWII).

                        In the past when this question came up, I said I wanted to see sourcebooks for vehicles and gadgets. While both of those would still be appealing to me, I'm holding off on calling for those until I've seen Adamant's upcoming Team Up release.

                        With regards to NPC collections - I can always use super villains and villainous team ups with great origin and back stories as well as motivations and agendas (like Devilish Duos - this is exactly the kind of product I want - really well done and I can't wait to see future ICONS version releases!) If they can be plugged into my campaign with minimal effort, all the better. I'd love it if The Moreau-1 Files came back. And I'd love to get ICONS versions Stark City Games' Extremely Creepy Comic Creatures - that sort of thing is right up my alley.

                        I'll echo the sentiment that NPC heroes and hero team ups are of less use to me. Initially when ICONS first came out, it was cool to see dozens of hero write ups to get a good feel for the system and the possibilities. Now with some experience under my belt, it's of less appeal. Still, great NPC hero artwork can make these products more worthwhile.

                        Speaking of artwork, great art can make me buy a product I might not otherwise use, as long as it's reasonably priced. Case in point: Hero Happy Hour. I've enjoyed reading that Web comic for quite awhile, and having ICONS versions of the characters was something I could appreciate. Am I ever going to use Charlie Sheen in one of my games? Probably not (never say never!), but I still bought that PDF because it was humorous, timely, reasonably priced and related to something outside of ICONS that I really enjoy reading. Great art and humor can sell me a product. I own all the Hero Happy Hour ICONS products because I love the Web comic.

                        So, there's my consumer data point. Hope it's useful to someone. :)

                        Best,
                        jaerdaph
                        JUST ADD HEROES
                        An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales
                        http://justaddheroes.blogspot.com