RE: [icons-rpg] Fast Attack and other attack powers

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2012
      I'm not sure what is the technically correct answer but the way I do see it Fast-Attack and Paralysis are distinct powers so you use either one or the other. I'll be honest, I'm probably not 100% consistent on this principle and I've certainly allowed people to fly and blast at the same time but I'm just going on gut feeling here.

      I'm also inclined not to use Fast-Attack in conjunction with other special moves like "Rushing" with the characters I play, but that's partly because I think using Fast-Attack every single turn is boring and you kind of want to mix things up a bit.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: ssjrubio@...
      Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 08:46:41 -0500
      Subject: [icons-rpg] Fast Attack and other attack powers

      Okay, so one of my players rolled a fast attack 7 (iirc; he gets three attacks a round). Combined with a prowess of 8 and a strength of 5, this really makes him a combat monster. That's okay. He's effectively a genestealer, so it's all good.

      However, he also has the paralysis power. He gets three attacks per round, as previously stated. Can one of those attacks be a use of the paralysis power?

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Seamus
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2012
        You think that's funny, imagine the difficulties when a hero has Fast Attack and Duplication. We had that happening in the PbP game, and the Hero in question had 9 actions per panel between himself and and 2 other duplicates with 3 attacks each. (It might have even more than that, but it was a funny thought. Speaking of which, my Fusion, Inc. pBp game needs some major resuscitation.)

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2012
          Yeah I had a player once with high ranking Duplication and it was a bit of a nightmare. Next time I'd consider house rulling Duplication so that it uses the same table as Fast-Attack rather than the raw rank to determine the number of duplicates. Or maybe just rule that duplicates always act panel of the page - after each hero and NPC has had at least one action.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
          From: sotp_seamus@...
          Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 19:27:44 +0000
          Subject: [icons-rpg] Re: Fast Attack and other attack powers

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2012
            It seems to me that the rules as written allow this.

            Probably I'd house rule it, keeping player fun in mind (as someone said, watching someone else effectively get 27 attacks to your 1 is not fun and can be boring).

            Keeping character concept and campaign in mind (superspies are different than high school students)...

            1. Any attack.
            2. Certain combinations aren't allowed, like duplication and fast attack.
            3. Fast attack is restricted to one attribute--Prowess, Coordination, or Willpower.
            4. Fast attack is restricted to a small set of powers, maybe a set with the same descriptor or some other in-game reason.
            5. Fast attack is restricted to one offensive power.

            Those are increasingly restrictive.

            On 2012-01-04, at 8:46 AM, Steve Rubio <ssjrubio@...> wrote:

            > Okay, so one of my players rolled a fast attack 7 (iirc; he gets three attacks a round). Combined with a prowess of 8 and a strength of 5, this really makes him a combat monster. That's okay. He's effectively a genestealer, so it's all good.
            >
            > However, he also has the paralysis power. He gets three attacks per round, as previously stated. Can one of those attacks be a use of the paralysis power?
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone

          • prodezigner
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2012
              Coming from M&M I tend to "over analyze" certain things. There is a section about combining abilities (pg. 57), this would be something to thing about, keep in mind that Paralysis does no damage effectively.

              When I hear of what he wants to do I can see it in my head, and it's not unreasonable, because it could be an easy way to hand out Determination for 'avoiding confrontation', and even cause more Challenges for the hero 'enemies'.

              This game is all about having fun, and as a GM, you could actually make NPCs to counter his character if it proves to be too broke, but as I stated before, I can visualize this scene in my head, so I'd allow it.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2012
                It would probably be wise if balanced game play is your goal to make the
                following a possible (optional) rule.

                Characters can only enact one power that interacts with others per
                panel. Superspeed+Fast Attacks? Fine, since only Fast Attack impacts
                others directly. To over-ride this and break the rule costs
                determination (and is "Pushing") a bit.
              • prodezigner
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2012
                  I still think combining the abilities are the best way to go, if he gets three attacks via Fast Attack, and opts to use Paralysis (we'll assume it's a lower level than Fast Attack 7), then it would go based off of Paralysis +1, which tests against the Strength of the foe. I don't think it's too broke, but a clarification from G or Steve would be fantastic.