Re: [icons-rpg] Superheroes...and dungeons

  • Cameron Mount
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2011
      Ghost town - There's one about an hour and a half from me in NJ, but there are more than a few in the western US.

      A large multistory museum

      The Pentagon

      Any gated community

      You could look to Indiana Jones for inspiration, too

      Having hapless civilians around could add to the complexity of the "dungeon" as well.

      On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 09:10, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:

      For whatever reason, I have a hankering to run a dungeon with superheroes. A dungeon reskinned, so we're not talking about VR or a dream of dungeons or going to the dungeon dimension.

      When I think of a dungeon, I think of constrained choices (you enter an area, fight the bad guys or deal with the puzzle or trap), and when you're done, you have to choose: quit, or go on. Given the right motive, they'll go on. Generally, I think of dungeons as having small rooms but some of these characters have movement powers, and I want to give them a place to strut their stuff too.

      (Will I run something using these ideas? I don't know. I'm brainstorming right now.)

      Thought of and discarded: VR, cyberspace, dungeon dimension, a fake "dungeon" that has been built for a movie set. (When I do Scooby-Doo, it will be an homage to Scooby-Doo, not a throwaway. <g>) For some reason, a dungeon in the land of dreams doesn't offend me as much, but again it calls for the dungeon to look like a dungeon, and I'd like to make it a "natural" part of the environment.

      Things I've come up with so far, that could be dungeon-like, given the right motivation (and given that some villains have transformation powers--I'm thinking of Pan's effect in the old *Freedom Force* game--any of them could be transformed to be more dungeon-like).

      Shopping malls. Open areas, though you need a reason to go into the various rooms/stores.

      High-rise towers. Looking for something? That could be a motive to open various things that should be accessible.

      Airport. Being "backstage" in the hidden places should give some opportunities.

      Cruise ship.

      Missile bases.

      Underground (undersea, in a deserted volcano) lair.

      Floating city or base (Pan again).

      Insane asylum or hospital.

      Inside a Pokemon ball: the heroes are the Pokemons, and if they're in for too long, they have to start making a willpower save against the mind control of the master (the owner of the ball).

      Stadium.

      What have you got as a dungeon-type environment? I'm really hoping to eventually come up with something that doesn't look at all like a dungeon, but still has the constrained choices and the possibility of traps or puzzles. (Ooooh: the idea of a Doom Town, but those were discontinued when they stopped aboveground testing of nuclear weapons. On the other hand, they must have supers they want to test....)

      John

      John McMullen (Young old coot)

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2011
        On 12/9/2011 8:10 AM, John McMullen wrote:
        For whatever reason, I have a hankering to run a dungeon with superheroes. A dungeon reskinned, so we're not talking about VR or a dream of dungeons or going to the dungeon dimension.

        Space Station (Rescue captured astronauts, prevent sabotage
        Aztec/Egyptian Trapped Pyramids ala Indiana Jones (as mentioned previously.)
        Supervillains lair (any)
        Undersea city/Experimental Lab (in fact the latter covers many dungeon type escapades)
        Alternate Dimension--send them to a real Dungeon. How would Tomb of Horrors hold against a bunch of supers? (Not very well, I suspect, but scale it up a bit, and have fun.)
        Funhouse of Mirrors with evil illusionist.
        Alien City
        Mole People Tunnels

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2011
          But is cake really enough of a motivation?

          John McMullen (Young old coot)
          jhmcmullen@...
          I read this and my first thought was "Welcome to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center."

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2011
            Agreed. A Portal-like setting designed to challenge superheroes would work.

            Much like what Arcade used to do with heroes of the Marvel universe.

            --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Tavares" <cct@...> wrote:

            > I read this and my first thought was "Welcome to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center."
            >

            > Sent from my HTC on the Now Network from Sprint!

          • Seamus
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 9, 2011
              I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned Syndrome's volcano from The Incredibles. There's a lot of dungeon-crawly stuff going on there.