Re: Werewolf the Apocalypse adaptation to ICONS

  • wee_ree_cat
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
      The soak mechanic ils actually a toned down version on the one I use in my regular ICONS game.

      Me and my players hated the absolute damage / absolute defense (5 damage takes 5 health, 7 defense you can't get hurt ever by 5 or lower).

      The first step was multiplying by ten. that way, I could introduce rolled damage with enough granularity to be worth the bother.

      Now, making everything entirely rolled would completely suck : if you had a shield 6 and rolled 6d10, you would risk getting way too much damage for your level of protection. And similarly, having a crappy damage roll with a Blast 7 would give the opportunity to a rubbish 3 defense to completely soak your attack : absurdly longer fights, too much dice throws.

      So after much tinkering, I decided damage would stay absolute (if you hit your target, you inflict damage, otherwise it's not fair) but the defense was to be rolled. And to make things fair, half your level in protection would ALWAYS be soaked (if you've got Defense 6, you'll soak at least 30 damage).

      That's what we've been using for months, and it's a tremendous success with my players.

      What I did for Garou was to halve defense as per the rules of "inner defense", where your strength give you half its level as an invulnerability.

      I did this because WoD werewolves regenerate enormous amount of damage, that's what they do. So the soaking when then got hit had to be less effective that the regeneration powers they could use. otherwise they would have been impossible to hurt (because of too much damage reduction) and then they would only have to regenerate...

      So, yeah. The regeneration table in garou is actually the invulnerability/force field table i use for ICONS. I just swapped.