Re: [icons-rpg] Re: Force Field Question

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 25, 2011
      Right. Forgot that--I was deep in planning mode.

      But if you rolled both and had to choose...

      On 2011-11-25, at 12:48 PM, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:

      That's all perfectly true. The other side of the equation is that by default Icons assumes random character generation so you wouldn't necessarily choose one or the other.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: wee_ree_cat@...
      Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 17:43:32 +0000
      Subject: [icons-rpg] Re: Force Field Question

      Yes, that's what I think.

      A player who takes Force Field has probably decided of a power source for his character. And if he hasn't, he ends up thinking about it for the rationales of new stunts. Stuff you can't do with invulnerability.

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 25, 2011
        Hehe. I've had that kind of conversation too, not with Icons some other game I can't recall. I think the issue was gliding or levitating vs flying.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
        From: wee_ree_cat@...
        Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 17:56:18 +0000

        Yep, that's what I had to explain to my players when they started complaining it wasn't very clever to have such unbalanced discrepancies between two powers. It wasn't about force field and invulnerability (it could have been) but about chameleon and invisibility.

        They threw a fit over the fact that the power description basically said "it's exactly like invisibility, but less efficient". So yeah. Random character generation was never an option, I used the Unverse Protocols creation right from the start, and when two different powers have that kind of problem well, just pick the right one and give it the appearance of the other if you want.