Re: [icons-rpg] Blocking ESP

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2011
      Which brings to mind something.

      The power description for ESP explicitly talks about blocking ESP. I'm happy to say "substance x or spell y blocks ESP at level 4" if necessary, but is there a power that blocks ESP? I presume it could be a sense on Blinding, but I was wondering if I'd missed anything.

      John McMullen (Young old coot)
      jhmcmullen@...

      On 2011-11-11, at 10:23 PM, "wee_ree_cat" <wee_ree_cat@...> wrote:

      > Okay, let's share what major thing is happening (or as happened of late) to your players. I'll start :
      >
      > Today, my players learned they had brought back from another dimension the VERY EVIL double of one of the members, Fear, whose powers come from a demon inside him.
      >
      > a few months ago, Fear's player had told me in private that he was sick of being the cliché anti-hero-with-a-demon-inside ("seemed like a good idea at the time") and that he wanted his character to evolve and lose the demon, thus becoming "Fearless". But he didn't want to know HOW it would happen ! I decided tonight was the night.
      >
      > During a fight with demons sent by his alternate self, Fear's player actually tried to BITE OFF a chunk of one of the demons. I made him ABSORB the demon, and his inner demon gained strength and overpowered the human consciousness. The rest of the fight was two players fighting desperately against the third, playing as a villain. FUN STUFF. They even threw a boat at him.
      >
      > Their victory drove the demon out of his body. The bad news was, ALL of the demon, including the part that gave him his powers. He's now powerless. Which sucks, because a newsflash told them half the city was being invaded by demons... led by the alternate Fear.
      >
      > Next session is the endgame. They're going to confront an army of demons, one of their team's NPC is going to die (she was dead in the alternate dimension, but they don't think it can happen in their own reality), and Fear is going to get his powers back, slighly modified according to his wishes.
      >
      > Oh, and of course, they're going to kill alternate Fear... only to see him escape, revived by Fear's previous inner demon. A new recurring villain, who could strike any time. hehe.

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
          icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2011
        Mind Shield?

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

        On 2011-11-11, at 10:23 PM, "wee_ree_cat" <wee_ree_cat@...> wrote:

        > Okay, let's share what major thing is happening (or as happened of late) to your players. I'll start :
        >
        > Today, my players learned they had brought back from another dimension the VERY EVIL double of one of the members, Fear, whose powers come from a demon inside him.
        >
        > a few months ago, Fear's player had told me in private that he was sick of being the cliché anti-hero-with-a-demon-inside ("seemed like a good idea at the time") and that he wanted his character to evolve and lose the demon, thus becoming "Fearless". But he didn't want to know HOW it would happen ! I decided tonight was the night.
        >
        > During a fight with demons sent by his alternate self, Fear's player actually tried to BITE OFF a chunk of one of the demons. I made him ABSORB the demon, and his inner demon gained strength and overpowered the human consciousness. The rest of the fight was two players fighting desperately against the third, playing as a villain. FUN STUFF. They even threw a boat at him.
        >
        > Their victory drove the demon out of his body. The bad news was, ALL of the demon, including the part that gave him his powers. He's now powerless. Which sucks, because a newsflash told them half the city was being invaded by demons... led by the alternate Fear.
        >
        > Next session is the endgame. They're going to confront an army of demons, one of their team's NPC is going to die (she was dead in the alternate dimension, but they don't think it can happen in their own reality), and Fear is going to get his powers back, slighly modified according to his wishes.
        >
        > Oh, and of course, they're going to kill alternate Fear... only to see him escape, revived by Fear's previous inner demon. A new recurring villain, who could strike any time. hehe.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
            icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Seamus
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 2011
          Well, Mind Shield doesn't work against ESP, since ESP is more like clairvoyance than telepathy, but you could use a modification of that power. You might also talk to the player and introduce a substance or condition that blocks ESP as a Challenge, leaving the level of the blockage up to you, the GM.

          Also, if a character with Invisibility knows about the Hero's ESP, I might allow a stunt to make him or her invisible to ESP, blocking at power level.