RE: [icons-rpg] Determination Points house rules?

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2011
      Normally I go for as written but at the club I play at I allow also the +2 version because it's just easier for new players to grasp.

      The Determined Effort aren't that complex but they are a bit unusual. With my regular group we played Marvel Supper Heroes before ICONS so they are already familiar with the general principle. But it you can a whole bunch of players new to the game the +2 option get's the game moving sooner.

      And now that I think of it, actually even that isn't strictly true. Even with my regular group I still gloss over that "you have to have failed an attempt before you can try a Determined Effort unless it's the sort of task you can only try once."

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: SelPhil@...
      Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 22:51:26 +0000
      Subject: [icons-rpg] Determination Points house rules?

      How do y'all handle Determnation Points when spent on dice rolls?

      I've heard people using the rules as written, +2 to the result, or re-rolling and taking the best result.

      Which do you prefer and why?

    • wee_ree_cat
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2011
        > And now that I think of it, actually even that isn't strictly true. Even with my regular group I still gloss over that "you have to have failed an attempt before you can try a Determined Effort unless it's the sort of task you can only try once."

        Yes ! We went from MSH to ICONS too, and they get the concept fine, except the "you have to fail once". I think i'm going to end up skipping that part entirely, because they really hated it during our first game. Hopefully we'll play on Friday night and I'll test them again. If they really don't like it, I'll do it Marvel-style : whenever they want to (but probably make it more expensive to compensate).
      • SelPhil@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2011
          Do you set a limit to the number of Determination Points a player can use on a single roll? I think I'm going with the +2 option.