Re: Cover for the French edition

  • wee_ree_cat
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 6, 2011
      No offense taken, I'm not the artist... As for the differences, yep, it's definitively not silver age.

      I wouldn't be surprised if with this serious cover, John Doe (the publisher) was trying to evoke a more "general super-hero" flavour instead of SILVER AGE SILLY ANTICS. But I really can't say.

      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Thinker" <docmailster@...> wrote:

      > No offense, but that cover looks like some kind of cover from the Dark
      > Ages/Iron Ages/Dork Ages (pick what ever you like.). Dan's art is kind
      > Sliver-Age based Saturday Morning Cartoon.
      >
      > Logging off,
      > Dr. Thinker
      >
      > On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 2:37 PM, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I did not know that.
      > >
      > > I like both styles, incised tally. They are just different.
      > >
      > > On 2011-11-05, at 1:53 PM, "wee_ree_cat" <wee_ree_cat@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Yah, I asked them today on the forums if the interior art had been
      > > redone too, I'll see what they say.
      > > >
      > > > It's not uncommon for a French edition to commission entirely new
      > > artwork. We did it with the French Edition of Lacuna I translated (the
      > > Jared Sorensen game). There's even more art in our version, actually.

      > > from that to Dan's art...

      > > Sadly, I wasn't in the translation team (I really, REALLY wanted to, but
      > > they did it in-house and I'm still freelance, also I probably don't have
      > > enough street-cred yet in the French RPG circles)

    • wee_ree_cat
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 8, 2011
        John Doe informed me they were using Dan's art. They only re-did the cover.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 12, 2012
          For those interested :

          As a follow-up to my original post, here are (finally !) some pictures of the French edition of ICONS.

          http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.407821729243760.121643.150304054995530&type=1

          I shouldn't be this excited since I already happily use it in English, but the fact is my girlfriend really needs it to GM SCION with rules she doesn't hate... and she doesn't read English. At least not well enough for a rulebook.

          She should try, though. That's mainly how I perfected MY English.
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 12, 2012
            Thanks again for sharing this - that new artwork on the cover is really cool. Gives it a different vibe than the English version.

            jaerdaph

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 12, 2012
              Oops one last question: who is the artist for the new cover?

              jaerdaph

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 12, 2012
                It's Grégory 'Lowfé' Guilhaumond.

                His blog (in French) : http://doublegarga.canalblog.com/

                Apparently, he does the colouring for Severed, an Image Comics production.