Re: Cover for the French edition

  • wee_ree_cat
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2011
      Yah, I asked them today on the forums if the interior art had been redone too, I'll see what they say.

      It's not uncommon for a French edition to commission entirely new artwork. We did it with the French Edition of Lacuna I translated (the Jared Sorensen game). There's even more art in our version, actually.

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2011
        I did not know that.

        I like both styles, incised tally. They are just different.

        On 2011-11-05, at 1:53 PM, "wee_ree_cat" <wee_ree_cat@...> wrote:

        > Yah, I asked them today on the forums if the interior art had been redone too, I'll see what they say.
        >
        > It's not uncommon for a French edition to commission entirely new artwork. We did it with the French Edition of Lacuna I translated (the Jared Sorensen game). There's even more art in our version, actually.
        >

        > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> It looks very cool. I hope readers don't have mental whiplash going from that to Dan's art...
        >>
        >> John
        >>

        >> On 2011-11-05, at 1:27 PM, "wee_ree_cat" <wee_ree_cat@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> I though I'd share the cover for the upcoming French release of ICONS. Sadly, I wasn't in the translation team (I really, REALLY wanted to, but they did it in-house and I'm still freelance, also I probably don't have enough street-cred yet in the French RPG circles)
        >>>
        >>> So, there.
        >>>
        >>> http://johndoe-rpg.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Iconscouv.jpg
        >>>
        >>> The artist is Greg "Lowfé" Guilhaumond.

      • Dr. Thinker
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 6, 2011
          No offense, but that cover looks like some kind of cover from the Dark Ages/Iron Ages/Dork Ages (pick what ever you like.). Dan's art is kind Sliver-Age based Saturday Morning Cartoon.

          Logging off,
          Dr. Thinker

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 6, 2011
            Thanks for sharing that with the group.  It's really cool.

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 6, 2011
              No offense taken, I'm not the artist... As for the differences, yep, it's definitively not silver age.

              I wouldn't be surprised if with this serious cover, John Doe (the publisher) was trying to evoke a more "general super-hero" flavour instead of SILVER AGE SILLY ANTICS. But I really can't say.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 8, 2011
                John Doe informed me they were using Dan's art. They only re-did the cover.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 12, 2012
                  For those interested :

                  As a follow-up to my original post, here are (finally !) some pictures of the French edition of ICONS.

                  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.407821729243760.121643.150304054995530&type=1

                  I shouldn't be this excited since I already happily use it in English, but the fact is my girlfriend really needs it to GM SCION with rules she doesn't hate... and she doesn't read English. At least not well enough for a rulebook.

                  She should try, though. That's mainly how I perfected MY English.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 12, 2012
                    Thanks again for sharing this - that new artwork on the cover is really cool. Gives it a different vibe than the English version.

                    jaerdaph

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 12, 2012
                      Oops one last question: who is the artist for the new cover?

                      jaerdaph

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 12, 2012
                        It's Grégory 'Lowfé' Guilhaumond.

                        His blog (in French) : http://doublegarga.canalblog.com/

                        Apparently, he does the colouring for Severed, an Image Comics production.