Ran The Substitute (mostly)

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2011
      We had fun. My notes and a link to a player's writeup of the session are here:

      http://doc-lemming.dreamwidth.org/45515.html

      I'm enjoying the Hope Prep setting.

      We'll finish the adventure next week. Then we'll see if they want to play another Hope Prep adventure, a Halifax adventure (Museum Mayhem or Gangbusters would be ideal), or someone else will run.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2011
        By the way, I mention these sessions not to get glory or fame, but to let Other ICONS fans, writers, and publishers see how someone is using their stuff.

        If the mentions are a nuisance, I won't do it (though I think James' writeups are amusing; maybe that's part of why he's Hugo-nominated and I'm largely unpublished.... (Whine, whine, whine))

        Heh. Glory or fame in role-playing ....

        John

        On 2011-11-05, at 11:47 AM, John McMullen <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:

        > We had fun. My notes and a link to a player's writeup of the session are here:
        >
        > http://doc-lemming.dreamwidth.org/45515.html
        >
        > I'm enjoying the Hope Prep setting.
        >
        > We'll finish the adventure next week. Then we'll see if they want to play another Hope Prep adventure, a Halifax adventure (Museum Mayhem or Gangbusters would be ideal), or someone else will run.

      • John Dunn

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2011

            This is my current version of the Twisted Earth Professor Pulse (not Dr. Pulse). He is an ex-hero forced to swear fealty to Pryde Academy.

            Because of that, unless specifically ordered otherwise, he doesn't want to hurt the PCs.

            The high wizardry is because he's (a) in his lab, (b) smart as all get out, and (c) up against some quite powerful and resourceful PCs.

            Professor Pulse

            Prowess 3
            Coordination 3
            Strength 6
            Intellect 9
            Awareness 6
            Willpower 4
            Stamina 10
            Determination *

            Force field 5 (can go to 9 but can't use Wizardry then)
            Strike 5
            Blast 6
            Flight 4
            Wizardry 9
            * Nullify
            * TK

            Tactics: creating a power is usually for nullification purposes

            Specialties
            Science master
            Tactics

            Aspects
            Cyborg arm, with attachments
            Genius intellect
            Both underworld and hero connections

            Challenges
            Enforced loyalty
            Untrustworthy mastermind
            Fearsome appearance

            The Wizardry should generate them some Determination points, too

            If they still need hints, anything their version of Dr. Bailey reveals as a weakness of his old suit or equipment will be true in some way for this one.

            On the Hope Prep layout--I think, having used them for a few sessions, that using outlined unfilled text on the character layouts is hard for these old eyes to read, especially on the powers. I'd go for some kind of fill that contrasts with the bars.

            When you're in the middle of an adventure, ease of reading becomes important.

            John