Alternative JLA for Icons?

  • Michael Hopcroft
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2011

      I’m wondering how these guys would look as Icons characters?

      http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/10979241054/rebooting-the-justice-league

      Icons would probably be a really good system to write these up in for a convention game. I just need to find a good starting point.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2011
        You know, I can deal with an albino Wonder Woman and even a ringless, female Green Lantern. But Power Girl without a boob window? I'm shocked!  :-)

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
        From: mhopcroft@...
        Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 21:52:57 -0700
        Subject: [icons-rpg] Alternative JLA for Icons?

        I’m wondering how these guys would look as Icons characters?

        http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/10979241054/rebooting-the-justice-league

        Icons would probably be a really good system to write these up in for a convention game. I just need to find a good starting point.

      • Cameron Mount
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
          His link to his redesign of Batman is better, I think. The Superman is okay, and the Flash isn't bad, but I think the changes with Power Girl (origin, not costume) and J'onn J'onnz would fail at his stated goal (bringing in both new and old readers) and would instead throw the baby out with the bathwater. A female Lantern, even ringless, isn't as ground-breaking as it might have been back before the Green Lantern Corps became really detailed, but the animated Amazonian statue is an interesting take on Diana. Certainly makes her less "Superman...as a chick!" and more of her own person.

          Now, all that said, the comics universe is full of characters that are just a shy bit away from plagiarism, and if this version of a JLA had some further distancing from source material and were sold by another comic company, I'd buy it. The revamped costumes are nice (I've always hated the boob window, and I say this as a man who appreciates the female form--but that is just ridiculous), and the toned down backgrounds are good, too. They certainly feel more realistic, if that's really possible, without erasing the fantastic elements completely.

          As for ICONS stats, this version would be far easier to stat out, and would probably be doable within the 45 point build structure as their power level appears to be significantly lower.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
          From: mhopcroft@...
          Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 21:52:57 -0700

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
            Is there a better way to model the "compel them to tell the truth" angle of the shield than Mind Control? Because Mind Control can be evaded by having sufficient willpower, which doesn't sound like a god-like compulsion to me.

            A draft of her is over 45 points, but I'll keep trying. Working name: Metharme (daughter of Galatea in some myths)

            John McMullen (Young old coot)
            jhmcmullen@...

            From: mhopcroft@...
            Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 21:52:57 -0700

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 16, 2011
              No ideas?

              Hmmm. Okay, it will have to be a level 10 mind control, but that's 10 points. I don't think I can make this one come in at 45.

                From: mhopcroft@...
                Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 21:52:57 -0700

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 16, 2011

                  I don’t necessarily expect them to be balanced at 45 points. That would sort of defeat the point of the JLA.

                  Certainly the villain equivalents, which are in a later post to that blog, would be widely variable in terms of cost and power level.

                  From: mhopcroft@...
                  Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 21:52:57 -0700