Re: New to ICONS

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
      Very cool, Paul! This is one of those things I wish I had the time and patience for...

      jaerdaph

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
        It *is* very cool, and I will remember it for my PDF-only products. If a publisher sells both PDF and print, though, I rather feel like I should buy the print version if I want the print version, so I'm awfully glad Adamant has a two-for-one deal.

        Though it only (to my knowledge, and I might be wrong) works in the Print->PDF direction; I'd like a deal that got a discount on the print version if you already owned the PDF.

        John McMullen (Young old coot)
        jhmcmullen@...

        Very cool, Paul! This is one of those things I wish I had the time and patience for...

        jaerdaph

        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "paul_jenkinson" <arthurpness@...> wrote:

        > I print all of my PDFs that I use regularly and bind them into a hardback. The initial set up cost (card, glue, I made my own bookpress out of wood I had knocking about, already own drill for the sewing holes etc) wasn't that cheap, and there's paper/ink to consider (I use 90gsm or 120gsm, depending on page count, compatible inks are a fraction of Epsons costs) but seeing as I got the PDFs in Adamants sale at the start of the year ($1 each?) it still works out cheaper than buying from my FLGS at full retail.
        >
        > There's a guide/how to on the Dragonsfoot forum ( http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27992 ) in the workshop area. I'll admit though for some books it really is cheaper/less hassle to buy the hardback but none of the books I have made so far will fall to pieces and some are (arguably) better than certain publishers efforts *cough Traveller, Mongoose, toilet paper, cough*
        >
        > Depending on your printer you can print it in draft and it'll still be legible, plus far faster printing time. I did the DC Adventures book in greyscale but some pictures still turned up in colour, mind, so I think my printer is a bit wacky...
        >
        > If I do a reasonable job of the Icons book I can post a picture up (assume if there's no picture or a plain cover that I did a cack handed effort that isn't worth showing... not all turn out 'perfect')
        >
        > I plan to preserve some of my older books in this way as some of the earliest are really getting dog eared and fit for the bin rather than using.
        >
        > Cheers, Paul

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
            icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
          That is 31 flavors of awesome, paul. Very impressive

          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "paul_jenkinson" <arthurpness@...> wrote:

          > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "warrenss2" <warrenss2@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've got no problem with PDFs, but if I like and am planning to run the game I demand a hardcopy in my greedy hands.
          > >
          > > I've been liking what I've been reading.
          > >

          > I print all of my PDFs that I use regularly and bind them into a hardback. The initial set up cost (card, glue, I made my own bookpress out of wood I had knocking about, already own drill for the sewing holes etc) wasn't that cheap, and there's paper/ink to consider (I use 90gsm or 120gsm, depending on page count, compatible inks are a fraction of Epsons costs) but seeing as I got the PDFs in Adamants sale at the start of the year ($1 each?) it still works out cheaper than buying from my FLGS at full retail.
          >
          > There's a guide/how to on the Dragonsfoot forum ( http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27992 ) in the workshop area. I'll admit though for some books it really is cheaper/less hassle to buy the hardback but none of the books I have made so far will fall to pieces and some are (arguably) better than certain publishers efforts *cough Traveller, Mongoose, toilet paper, cough*
          >
          > Depending on your printer you can print it in draft and it'll still be legible, plus far faster printing time. I did the DC Adventures book in greyscale but some pictures still turned up in colour, mind, so I think my printer is a bit wacky...
          >
          > If I do a reasonable job of the Icons book I can post a picture up (assume if there's no picture or a plain cover that I did a cack handed effort that isn't worth showing... not all turn out 'perfect')
          >
          > I plan to preserve some of my older books in this way as some of the earliest are really getting dog eared and fit for the bin rather than using.
          >
          > Cheers, Paul

        • Gareth-Michael Skarka
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
            Hey folks--

            We've just released the newest ICONS adventure -- co-authored by ICONS Line Artist Dan Houser!

            "Somebody is supplying the local street gangs of the City with high-tech super-science weaponry. The police are overwhelmed!
            Can the heroes discover the source of the weapons and stop the chaos that threatens to engulf the entire City? "

            Gareth-Michael Skarka

            Adamant Entertainment

            gms@...

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
              Thank you! Already purchased....

              (I suppose, what with the unemployment thing, it's a good thing that Dan never got back to me about his commission prices. But I start next Friday at the new $JOB, so I can think about it again. Time to ping mail off him again, I guess.)

              John McMullen (Young old coot)
              jhmcmullen@...

              We've just released the newest ICONS adventure -- co-authored by ICONS Line Artist Dan Houser!

              "Somebody is supplying the local street gangs of the City with high-tech super-science weaponry. The police are overwhelmed!
              Can the heroes discover the source of the weapons and stop the chaos that threatens to engulf the entire City? "

              The adventure is available here:   http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=95564

              Gareth-Michael Skarka
              Adamant Entertainment

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011