Re: New to ICONS

  • warrenss2
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
      WOW!!!

      Dang, Paul. That is awesome.

      My friends think I'm eccentric just for the Kinkos/FedEx Spiral binding!

      I've gotten my hardcopy and spiral bound it. Shaved off the spine, vinyl cover on the back, frosted clear plastic sheet on the front.

      This protects it from spills and I like for my rulebooks to lay open flat on the table. Plus this type of binding last longer.

      I'm going to have to give your method a try one day.

      Thanks for posting the information!!

      Warren
    • warrenss2
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
        Ummm...

        With a printed out PDF one doesn't have to worry about the "on-device" reader running out of battery juice. ;-)

        Making ICONS printer friendly would be as easy as making the multi-colored page background a layer that could be removable to make it a white background.

        The folks that make Savage Worlds do this and I greatly appreciate that optional ability to save costly ink.

        Besides... Print is not dead yet.

        :-D
        Warren

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
          Very cool, Paul! This is one of those things I wish I had the time and patience for...

          jaerdaph

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
            It *is* very cool, and I will remember it for my PDF-only products. If a publisher sells both PDF and print, though, I rather feel like I should buy the print version if I want the print version, so I'm awfully glad Adamant has a two-for-one deal.

            Though it only (to my knowledge, and I might be wrong) works in the Print->PDF direction; I'd like a deal that got a discount on the print version if you already owned the PDF.

            John McMullen (Young old coot)
            jhmcmullen@...

            Very cool, Paul! This is one of those things I wish I had the time and patience for...

            jaerdaph

            --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "paul_jenkinson" <arthurpness@...> wrote:

            > I print all of my PDFs that I use regularly and bind them into a hardback. The initial set up cost (card, glue, I made my own bookpress out of wood I had knocking about, already own drill for the sewing holes etc) wasn't that cheap, and there's paper/ink to consider (I use 90gsm or 120gsm, depending on page count, compatible inks are a fraction of Epsons costs) but seeing as I got the PDFs in Adamants sale at the start of the year ($1 each?) it still works out cheaper than buying from my FLGS at full retail.
            >
            > There's a guide/how to on the Dragonsfoot forum ( http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27992 ) in the workshop area. I'll admit though for some books it really is cheaper/less hassle to buy the hardback but none of the books I have made so far will fall to pieces and some are (arguably) better than certain publishers efforts *cough Traveller, Mongoose, toilet paper, cough*
            >
            > Depending on your printer you can print it in draft and it'll still be legible, plus far faster printing time. I did the DC Adventures book in greyscale but some pictures still turned up in colour, mind, so I think my printer is a bit wacky...
            >
            > If I do a reasonable job of the Icons book I can post a picture up (assume if there's no picture or a plain cover that I did a cack handed effort that isn't worth showing... not all turn out 'perfect')
            >
            > I plan to preserve some of my older books in this way as some of the earliest are really getting dog eared and fit for the bin rather than using.
            >
            > Cheers, Paul

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
                icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
              That is 31 flavors of awesome, paul. Very impressive

              --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "paul_jenkinson" <arthurpness@...> wrote:

              > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "warrenss2" <warrenss2@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've got no problem with PDFs, but if I like and am planning to run the game I demand a hardcopy in my greedy hands.
              > >
              > > I've been liking what I've been reading.
              > >

              > I print all of my PDFs that I use regularly and bind them into a hardback. The initial set up cost (card, glue, I made my own bookpress out of wood I had knocking about, already own drill for the sewing holes etc) wasn't that cheap, and there's paper/ink to consider (I use 90gsm or 120gsm, depending on page count, compatible inks are a fraction of Epsons costs) but seeing as I got the PDFs in Adamants sale at the start of the year ($1 each?) it still works out cheaper than buying from my FLGS at full retail.
              >
              > There's a guide/how to on the Dragonsfoot forum ( http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27992 ) in the workshop area. I'll admit though for some books it really is cheaper/less hassle to buy the hardback but none of the books I have made so far will fall to pieces and some are (arguably) better than certain publishers efforts *cough Traveller, Mongoose, toilet paper, cough*
              >
              > Depending on your printer you can print it in draft and it'll still be legible, plus far faster printing time. I did the DC Adventures book in greyscale but some pictures still turned up in colour, mind, so I think my printer is a bit wacky...
              >
              > If I do a reasonable job of the Icons book I can post a picture up (assume if there's no picture or a plain cover that I did a cack handed effort that isn't worth showing... not all turn out 'perfect')
              >
              > I plan to preserve some of my older books in this way as some of the earliest are really getting dog eared and fit for the bin rather than using.
              >
              > Cheers, Paul

            • Gareth-Michael Skarka
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
                Hey folks--

                We've just released the newest ICONS adventure -- co-authored by ICONS Line Artist Dan Houser!

                "Somebody is supplying the local street gangs of the City with high-tech super-science weaponry. The police are overwhelmed!
                Can the heroes discover the source of the weapons and stop the chaos that threatens to engulf the entire City? "

                Gareth-Michael Skarka

                Adamant Entertainment

                gms@...

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
                  Thank you! Already purchased....

                  (I suppose, what with the unemployment thing, it's a good thing that Dan never got back to me about his commission prices. But I start next Friday at the new $JOB, so I can think about it again. Time to ping mail off him again, I guess.)

                  John McMullen (Young old coot)
                  jhmcmullen@...

                  We've just released the newest ICONS adventure -- co-authored by ICONS Line Artist Dan Houser!

                  "Somebody is supplying the local street gangs of the City with high-tech super-science weaponry. The police are overwhelmed!
                  Can the heroes discover the source of the weapons and stop the chaos that threatens to engulf the entire City? "

                  The adventure is available here:   http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=95564

                  Gareth-Michael Skarka
                  Adamant Entertainment

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011