New to ICONS

  • warrenss2
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 18, 2011
      I'm new to ICONS.

      I've ordered a hardcopy of the rules mainly because the PDF is such an ink hog... cheaper this way.

      I want to introduce my two sons to poleplaying games and thought making it a supers game would be best.

      I ran Champions for years, but didn't want to GM that mess again. Thought, after reading many raving reviews for ICONS, I'd get a copy of the PDF to look over. Like what I've read!

      Looking forward to getting it!!!!
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 19, 2011
        Good choice! I think you are in for a treat.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 19, 2011
          This brings up an interesting thought... does anyone know if Adamant
          have ever considered doing a 'printer-friendly' version of the rulebook?
          If so I'd be interested to know what the barriers to such would be.

          Brian
        • Icosahedrophilia
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 19, 2011
            On Sep 19, 2011, at 6:58 AM, Brian Curley wrote:

            This brings up an interesting thought... does anyone know if Adamant
            have ever considered doing a 'printer-friendly' version of the rulebook?
            If so I'd be interested to know what the barriers to such would be.

            Have to confess that I don't get this way of thinking at all. Not saying it's "wrong," but it doesn't resonate with me. When I buy a product in PDF, it's usually precisely because I don't want to have to store or—more to the point—transport a printed copy. I don't buy PDFs with the intention of printing them out, especially when the publisher sells a durable professionally printed copy.

            /me shrugs

            Chris Heard
            Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast

          • Cameron Mount
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 19, 2011
              And, honestly, the PDF copies are perfectly printable for what I'd use--that is, printing out smaller sections to distribute to people I'd run the game for.

              On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 14:24, Icosahedrophilia <d20@...> wrote:

              On Sep 19, 2011, at 6:58 AM, Brian Curley wrote:

              This brings up an interesting thought... does anyone know if Adamant
              have ever considered doing a 'printer-friendly' version of the rulebook?
              If so I'd be interested to know what the barriers to such would be.

              Have to confess that I don't get this way of thinking at all. Not saying it's "wrong," but it doesn't resonate with me. When I buy a product in PDF, it's usually precisely because I don't want to have to store or—more to the point—transport a printed copy. I don't buy PDFs with the intention of printing them out, especially when the publisher sells a durable professionally printed copy.

              /me shrugs

              Chris Heard
              Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast

            • Gareth-Michael Skarka
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 19, 2011
                For the record, Adamant doesn't do "printer friendly" PDFs (which is a misnomer in and of itself, but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish) --- simply because our intention is that the PDFs are for on-device reading and printing of brief excerpts.

                -Gareth-Michael Skarka
                Adamant Entertainment

                On Sep 19, 2011, at 1:24 PM, Icosahedrophilia wrote:

                On Sep 19, 2011, at 6:58 AM, Brian Curley wrote:

                This brings up an interesting thought... does anyone know if Adamant
                have ever considered doing a 'printer-friendly' version of the rulebook?
                If so I'd be interested to know what the barriers to such would be.

                Have to confess that I don't get this way of thinking at all. Not saying it's "wrong," but it doesn't resonate with me. When I buy a product in PDF, it's usually precisely because I don't want to have to store or—more to the point—transport a printed copy. I don't buy PDFs with the intention of printing them out, especially when the publisher sells a durable professionally printed copy.

                /me shrugs

                Chris Heard
                Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast

              • John Post
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 19, 2011
                  I tend to agree. The only kinds of PDFs that I ever print are adventures.  It makes keeping notes and tracking NPC resources in the margins easier.  I've purchased multiple copies of the original book, so I've no need to print anything from it.  I've got one copy for each of the players in my regular game and a few for distributing to players in conventions settings.

                  John Post

                  PS.  Don't tell Gareth, but you can get a copy of the book for dirt cheap on Amazon.  Secondary sellers are selling them for about $20.  I got mine on sale for $15 each.
                • Colin T
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 20, 2011
                    I printed off a copy but then gave it to a friend whose group are planning on playing Icons, of course that was after i thought the only way I'd actually get involved in a game is with the group I meet about once a month of whom the friend is part of!
                    I keep the pdf handy (on computer and memory sticks... just in case!) but it doesn't stop me wondering about picking up a hardcopy since I'm not so sure about printing off another copy!

                    --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, John Post <johnpost@...> wrote:

                    > I tend to agree. The only kinds of PDFs that I ever print are adventures. It makes keeping notes and tracking NPC resources in the margins easier. I've purchased multiple copies of the original book, so I've no need to print anything from it. I've got one copy for each of the players in my regular game and a few for distributing to players in conventions settings.
                    >
                    > John Post
                    >
                    > PS. Don't tell Gareth, but you can get a copy of the book for dirt cheap on Amazon. Secondary sellers are selling them for about $20. I got mine on sale for $15 each.

                  • Joe Littrell
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 20, 2011
                      I can't imagine why they don't plan on making a printer-friendly version.

                      On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Colin T <colinfit20@...> wrote:
                      > I printed off a copy but then gave it to a friend whose group are planning on playing Icons
                    • Craig McRoberts
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 20, 2011
                        Ha. My thoughts precisely.

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On Sep 20, 2011, at 10:15, Joe Littrell <joe.littrell@...> wrote:

                        I can't imagine why they don't plan on making a printer-friendly version.

                        On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Colin T <colinfit20@...> wrote:
                        > I printed off a copy but then gave it to a friend whose group are planning on playing Icons

                      • Hollis McCray
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 20, 2011
                          I'm kinda in the middle here. Until recently, I vastly preferred
                          hardcopy format. It was easier to transport, read, and loan out. Now
                          that I have a laptop myself, and electronic readers are getting a lot
                          more reasonable in price, I find myself moving more towards preferring
                          electronic media. Heck, if I didn't need a full-blown PC for some of
                          the work I do, I might have bought an iPad instead of the laptop.

                          --
                          Hollis McCray
                          aka The Fifth Wanderer

                          ascensionschild@...

                          "GMing is like herding cats. Wet, angry cats who are pumped full of
                          LSD and methamphetamines." - Stolen from some forum sig somewhere
                        • Seamus
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 20, 2011
                            Myself personally, I hate reading pdfs. I printed mine out at the first opportunity, and use it all the time.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 21, 2011
                              I've got no problem with PDFs, but if I like and am planning to run the game I demand a hardcopy in my greedy hands.

                              I've been liking what I've been reading.
                            • paul_jenkinson
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 3, 2011
                                --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "warrenss2" <warrenss2@...> wrote:

                                > I've got no problem with PDFs, but if I like and am planning to run the game I demand a hardcopy in my greedy hands.
                                >
                                > I've been liking what I've been reading.

                                I print all of my PDFs that I use regularly and bind them into a hardback. The initial set up cost (card, glue, I made my own bookpress out of wood I had knocking about, already own drill for the sewing holes etc) wasn't that cheap, and there's paper/ink to consider (I use 90gsm or 120gsm, depending on page count, compatible inks are a fraction of Epsons costs) but seeing as I got the PDFs in Adamants sale at the start of the year ($1 each?) it still works out cheaper than buying from my FLGS at full retail.

                                There's a guide/how to on the Dragonsfoot forum ( http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27992 ) in the workshop area. I'll admit though for some books it really is cheaper/less hassle to buy the hardback but none of the books I have made so far will fall to pieces and some are (arguably) better than certain publishers efforts *cough Traveller, Mongoose, toilet paper, cough*

                                Depending on your printer you can print it in draft and it'll still be legible, plus far faster printing time. I did the DC Adventures book in greyscale but some pictures still turned up in colour, mind, so I think my printer is a bit wacky...

                                If I do a reasonable job of the Icons book I can post a picture up (assume if there's no picture or a plain cover that I did a cack handed effort that isn't worth showing... not all turn out 'perfect')

                                I plan to preserve some of my older books in this way as some of the earliest are really getting dog eared and fit for the bin rather than using.

                                Cheers, Paul
                              • warrenss2
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
                                  WOW!!!

                                  Dang, Paul. That is awesome.

                                  My friends think I'm eccentric just for the Kinkos/FedEx Spiral binding!

                                  I've gotten my hardcopy and spiral bound it. Shaved off the spine, vinyl cover on the back, frosted clear plastic sheet on the front.

                                  This protects it from spills and I like for my rulebooks to lay open flat on the table. Plus this type of binding last longer.

                                  I'm going to have to give your method a try one day.

                                  Thanks for posting the information!!

                                  Warren
                                • warrenss2
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
                                    Ummm...

                                    With a printed out PDF one doesn't have to worry about the "on-device" reader running out of battery juice. ;-)

                                    Making ICONS printer friendly would be as easy as making the multi-colored page background a layer that could be removable to make it a white background.

                                    The folks that make Savage Worlds do this and I greatly appreciate that optional ability to save costly ink.

                                    Besides... Print is not dead yet.

                                    :-D
                                    Warren

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
                                      Very cool, Paul! This is one of those things I wish I had the time and patience for...

                                      jaerdaph

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
                                        It *is* very cool, and I will remember it for my PDF-only products. If a publisher sells both PDF and print, though, I rather feel like I should buy the print version if I want the print version, so I'm awfully glad Adamant has a two-for-one deal.

                                        Though it only (to my knowledge, and I might be wrong) works in the Print->PDF direction; I'd like a deal that got a discount on the print version if you already owned the PDF.

                                        John McMullen (Young old coot)
                                        jhmcmullen@...

                                        Very cool, Paul! This is one of those things I wish I had the time and patience for...

                                        jaerdaph

                                        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "paul_jenkinson" <arthurpness@...> wrote:

                                        > I print all of my PDFs that I use regularly and bind them into a hardback. The initial set up cost (card, glue, I made my own bookpress out of wood I had knocking about, already own drill for the sewing holes etc) wasn't that cheap, and there's paper/ink to consider (I use 90gsm or 120gsm, depending on page count, compatible inks are a fraction of Epsons costs) but seeing as I got the PDFs in Adamants sale at the start of the year ($1 each?) it still works out cheaper than buying from my FLGS at full retail.
                                        >
                                        > There's a guide/how to on the Dragonsfoot forum ( http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27992 ) in the workshop area. I'll admit though for some books it really is cheaper/less hassle to buy the hardback but none of the books I have made so far will fall to pieces and some are (arguably) better than certain publishers efforts *cough Traveller, Mongoose, toilet paper, cough*
                                        >
                                        > Depending on your printer you can print it in draft and it'll still be legible, plus far faster printing time. I did the DC Adventures book in greyscale but some pictures still turned up in colour, mind, so I think my printer is a bit wacky...
                                        >
                                        > If I do a reasonable job of the Icons book I can post a picture up (assume if there's no picture or a plain cover that I did a cack handed effort that isn't worth showing... not all turn out 'perfect')
                                        >
                                        > I plan to preserve some of my older books in this way as some of the earliest are really getting dog eared and fit for the bin rather than using.
                                        >
                                        > Cheers, Paul

                                        <*> Your email settings:
                                            Individual Email | Traditional

                                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                                        <*> To change settings via email:
                                            icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                            icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
                                          That is 31 flavors of awesome, paul. Very impressive

                                          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "paul_jenkinson" <arthurpness@...> wrote:

                                          > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "warrenss2" <warrenss2@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I've got no problem with PDFs, but if I like and am planning to run the game I demand a hardcopy in my greedy hands.
                                          > >
                                          > > I've been liking what I've been reading.
                                          > >

                                          > I print all of my PDFs that I use regularly and bind them into a hardback. The initial set up cost (card, glue, I made my own bookpress out of wood I had knocking about, already own drill for the sewing holes etc) wasn't that cheap, and there's paper/ink to consider (I use 90gsm or 120gsm, depending on page count, compatible inks are a fraction of Epsons costs) but seeing as I got the PDFs in Adamants sale at the start of the year ($1 each?) it still works out cheaper than buying from my FLGS at full retail.
                                          >
                                          > There's a guide/how to on the Dragonsfoot forum ( http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27992 ) in the workshop area. I'll admit though for some books it really is cheaper/less hassle to buy the hardback but none of the books I have made so far will fall to pieces and some are (arguably) better than certain publishers efforts *cough Traveller, Mongoose, toilet paper, cough*
                                          >
                                          > Depending on your printer you can print it in draft and it'll still be legible, plus far faster printing time. I did the DC Adventures book in greyscale but some pictures still turned up in colour, mind, so I think my printer is a bit wacky...
                                          >
                                          > If I do a reasonable job of the Icons book I can post a picture up (assume if there's no picture or a plain cover that I did a cack handed effort that isn't worth showing... not all turn out 'perfect')
                                          >
                                          > I plan to preserve some of my older books in this way as some of the earliest are really getting dog eared and fit for the bin rather than using.
                                          >
                                          > Cheers, Paul

                                        • Gareth-Michael Skarka
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
                                            Hey folks--

                                            We've just released the newest ICONS adventure -- co-authored by ICONS Line Artist Dan Houser!

                                            "Somebody is supplying the local street gangs of the City with high-tech super-science weaponry. The police are overwhelmed!
                                            Can the heroes discover the source of the weapons and stop the chaos that threatens to engulf the entire City? "

                                            Gareth-Michael Skarka

                                            Adamant Entertainment

                                            gms@...

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011
                                              Thank you! Already purchased....

                                              (I suppose, what with the unemployment thing, it's a good thing that Dan never got back to me about his commission prices. But I start next Friday at the new $JOB, so I can think about it again. Time to ping mail off him again, I guess.)

                                              John McMullen (Young old coot)
                                              jhmcmullen@...

                                              We've just released the newest ICONS adventure -- co-authored by ICONS Line Artist Dan Houser!

                                              "Somebody is supplying the local street gangs of the City with high-tech super-science weaponry. The police are overwhelmed!
                                              Can the heroes discover the source of the weapons and stop the chaos that threatens to engulf the entire City? "

                                              The adventure is available here:   http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=95564

                                              Gareth-Michael Skarka
                                              Adamant Entertainment

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 4, 2011