Re: [icons-rpg]

  • Cameron Mount
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 18, 2011
      Someone posted an Excel-based random character generator, I think on the ICONS wiki. I've played with that a bit (hoping I get an RPGNow gift certificate for Christmas, which I can then spend on the Folio, Villainomicon, and whatever else I can afford at that time), but I prefer the hand-rolling myself right now. Maybe the Folio will be more interesting graphically, but I just like doing it the old way. Not that I use real dice most of the time (electronic die-rollers are nice and available places that I don't necessarily have 2d6 or want them, like in a car--not when driving, of course), but doing the rolling sequentially helps me brainstorm a character's story, something I find a little bit harder when doing the complete random creation at once.

      Personal preference, I suppose.

      On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:27, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:

      I love the Folio. If I were to try rolling up a dozen pregens, discarding the ones that aren't very interesting along the way, I think I'd give up before I was done - it would certainly game prep would take a lot longer.

      But I've always been a  fan of character generators. Back when I was running Gamma World (1992 edition) I constantly used a fan created character generation program for all my NPCs. Other than badders I rarely used stock critter encounters, I was created unique NPCs.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: tommyb@...
      Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:14:42 -0500
      Subject: Re: [icons-rpg]

      For some reason, I can't get into using the Folio. I like rolling up characters, but if I'm not LITERALLY rolling dice, it loses something for me.
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2011
        On 9/18/2011 10:14 AM, Tommy Brownell wrote:
        For some reason, I can't get into using the Folio. I like rolling up characters, but if I'm not LITERALLY rolling dice, it loses something for me.
        -

        I use it all the time, mostly because I can hit it while I'm doing other things, and don't have to hold the book open.