Re: [icons-rpg]

  • Seamus
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 18, 2011
      The one resource I like to use (mainly because the results are instantaneous) is http://icons-assemble.appspot.com/

      It doesn't output to a character sheet like the folio does, it looks like it only supports the main book, and there's no graphical elements, but I do like the idea of just refreshing the page to roll up a character.

      Given the choice, I'd probably rather use the folio, but this is a good alternative.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2011
        Someone posted an Excel-based random character generator, I think on the ICONS wiki. I've played with that a bit (hoping I get an RPGNow gift certificate for Christmas, which I can then spend on the Folio, Villainomicon, and whatever else I can afford at that time), but I prefer the hand-rolling myself right now. Maybe the Folio will be more interesting graphically, but I just like doing it the old way. Not that I use real dice most of the time (electronic die-rollers are nice and available places that I don't necessarily have 2d6 or want them, like in a car--not when driving, of course), but doing the rolling sequentially helps me brainstorm a character's story, something I find a little bit harder when doing the complete random creation at once.

        Personal preference, I suppose.

        On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:27, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:

        I love the Folio. If I were to try rolling up a dozen pregens, discarding the ones that aren't very interesting along the way, I think I'd give up before I was done - it would certainly game prep would take a lot longer.

        But I've always been a  fan of character generators. Back when I was running Gamma World (1992 edition) I constantly used a fan created character generation program for all my NPCs. Other than badders I rarely used stock critter encounters, I was created unique NPCs.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
        From: tommyb@...
        Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:14:42 -0500
        Subject: Re: [icons-rpg]

        For some reason, I can't get into using the Folio. I like rolling up characters, but if I'm not LITERALLY rolling dice, it loses something for me.
        It's been said before, many times by name people, but I just say it's once more.

        Randomly rolling Icons characters is ridiculously fun. I've rolling up a whole load of pregens using the Character Folio for my Icons:Necessary Evil campaign which should kick off next week. I was thinking it would be a chore, instead I'm just grinning like an idiot :-)

        No virus found in this message.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 18, 2011
          On 9/18/2011 10:14 AM, Tommy Brownell wrote:
          For some reason, I can't get into using the Folio. I like rolling up characters, but if I'm not LITERALLY rolling dice, it loses something for me.
          -

          I use it all the time, mostly because I can hit it while I'm doing other things, and don't have to hold the book open.