    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 18, 2011
      It's been said before, many times by name people, but I just say it's once more.

      Randomly rolling Icons characters is ridiculously fun. I've rolling up a whole load of pregens using the Character Folio for my Icons:Necessary Evil campaign which should kick off next week. I was thinking it would be a chore, instead I'm just grinning like an idiot :-)
    • Tommy Brownell
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2011
        For some reason, I can't get into using the Folio. I like rolling up characters, but if I'm not LITERALLY rolling dice, it loses something for me.
        It's been said before, many times by name people, but I just say it's once more.

        Randomly rolling Icons characters is ridiculously fun. I've rolling up a whole load of pregens using the Character Folio for my Icons:Necessary Evil campaign which should kick off next week. I was thinking it would be a chore, instead I'm just grinning like an idiot :-)

        No virus found in this message.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 18, 2011
          I love the Folio. If I were to try rolling up a dozen pregens, discarding the ones that aren't very interesting along the way, I think I'd give up before I was done - it would certainly game prep would take a lot longer.

          But I've always been a  fan of character generators. Back when I was running Gamma World (1992 edition) I constantly used a fan created character generation program for all my NPCs. Other than badders I rarely used stock critter encounters, I was created unique NPCs.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
          From: tommyb@...
          Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:14:42 -0500
          Subject: Re: [icons-rpg]

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 18, 2011
            Yeah, just different mindsets in play...for me, the second I see a company start pushing a character generator, I start wondering if the work is worth the reward. I know that's not the case here, but I don't think I've ever completed a character that I started with the folio, for some reason.

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
            From: tommyb@...
            Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:14:42 -0500

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 18, 2011
              The one resource I like to use (mainly because the results are instantaneous) is http://icons-assemble.appspot.com/

              It doesn't output to a character sheet like the folio does, it looks like it only supports the main book, and there's no graphical elements, but I do like the idea of just refreshing the page to roll up a character.

              Given the choice, I'd probably rather use the folio, but this is a good alternative.

              > For some reason, I can't get into using the Folio. I like rolling up characters, but if I'm not LITERALLY rolling dice, it loses something for me.

            • Cameron Mount
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 18, 2011
                Someone posted an Excel-based random character generator, I think on the ICONS wiki. I've played with that a bit (hoping I get an RPGNow gift certificate for Christmas, which I can then spend on the Folio, Villainomicon, and whatever else I can afford at that time), but I prefer the hand-rolling myself right now. Maybe the Folio will be more interesting graphically, but I just like doing it the old way. Not that I use real dice most of the time (electronic die-rollers are nice and available places that I don't necessarily have 2d6 or want them, like in a car--not when driving, of course), but doing the rolling sequentially helps me brainstorm a character's story, something I find a little bit harder when doing the complete random creation at once.

                Personal preference, I suppose.

                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                From: tommyb@...
                Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:14:42 -0500

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 18, 2011
                  On 9/18/2011 10:14 AM, Tommy Brownell wrote:
                  For some reason, I can't get into using the Folio. I like rolling up characters, but if I'm not LITERALLY rolling dice, it loses something for me.
                  -

                  I use it all the time, mostly because I can hit it while I'm doing other things, and don't have to hold the book open.