[Calling Steve Kenson on the Bat Phone!] Re: damage from falling?

  • Seamus
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2011
      While I can't answer for Mr. Kenson, I might be able to offer some insight. I like to use the Classic Marvel system when I don't have a good idea of what to do for a rule. I'll try to adapt and summarize what it says here:

      -Measure distance in floors.
      -A character falls at this rate:
      -1st page: 3 floors
      -2nd page: 6 floors
      -3rd page: 10 floors
      -Every floor after the 4th: 20 floors
      -When the hero hits the ground, have them make a Strength roll against the object strength of the ground (see the chart on page 61). Add +1 to a maximum of +3 for every floor traveled before impact.
      -Treat the result as a Slashing attack against the falling caracter. Add +2 for every floor the hero would travel that page, including excess after impact. A miss counts as a hit.
      -On a Stun or Kill result, as well as applying the normal results, compare the hero's Strength to the object Strength of the ground. If the hero's Strength is greater than the object strength of the ground, the hero breaks the ground and leaves a crater.

      For example, The Troll takes a dive of the top of a 10-story building. By the time he hits the ground, he's traveled 10 stories, and was at a speed of 10 floors per page. He rolls a -1 for a result of 6 (9(Strength)-1(dice)+3(distance)). That's a Kill result. The damage level is (get ready for this) 26 (6(Strength)+(2x10)) The Troll takes 15, meaning that in order to survive the fall, he'd have to get a +5 result and spend 2 Determination so that he is only rendered unconscious.

      It may seem a little harsh, but it discourages ridiculous occurrences of people jumping out of windows for no good reason.

      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "jaerdaph" <jjbardales@...> wrote:

      > Hi Steve,
      >
      > How do you or would you handle falling damage in your game?
      >
      > Best,
      > jaerdaph
      >
      > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Benzedrine Sneezer <evil.genius13@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I think it's one of those missing bits that would be helpful.
      > >

      > > Benzedrine Sneezer
      > >

      > > ________________________________

    • Steve Kenson
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2011
        On Sep 7, 2011, at 6:44 AM, icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        How do you or would you handle falling damage in your game?

        Determine a damage level: 1–3 for a relatively short fall, 4–6 for a moderate distance, and 7–10 for a long fall. I tend to do it abstractly but, as a quick rule of thumb, consider a fall’s damage level equal to its distance in feet, divided by 10. So a 10-foot fall is damage 1, up to a 100-foot fall as damage 10. Damage maxes out at level 10.

        Treat a fall as a possble killing outcome as well: test the victim’s Strength against the damage (assuming 0 or more damage is inflicted) with the results given on p. 70 of Icons.

        Example: All-American Girl grabs Troll and flies up, up, and away to move the fight out of the crowded urban area. Troll manages to clock America’s Sweetheat and stuns her momentarily, apparently forgetting she’s what’s keeping them in the air. Oops. Troll falls some 90 feet for 9 damage (90, divided by 10). His Invulnerability reduces that to 0 Stamina damage, but the GM still asks All-American Girl’s player to test the damage against Troll’s Strength for a possible killing outcome. She rolls and gets a 0 on the dice for an effort of 9. That’s equal to Troll’s Strength 9, a moderate outcome, so his Stamina is reduced to 0 and he’s left unconscious (but otherwise unharmed) by the fall. Had All-American Girl’s player rolled a –3 or less, or if the fall had been one damage level less, there would have been no effect on Troll at all.

        That's how I handle it.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 9, 2011
          Cool - nice and simple. Thank you again, Steve!

          jaerdaph

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2011
            Thanks Seamus- I like how you've adapted this to work with the ICONS panels and page turn play.

            jaerdaph