Re: [icons-rpg] Waiting on my Hardcopy

  • Gareth-Michael Skarka
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2011

      On Sep 2, 2011, at 1:22 PM, Michael Hopcroft wrote:
      Does anyone know if Villainomicon is headed for print.

      Past tense.    It's currently available in print.

      -Gareth
    • Icosahedrophilia
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2011
        On Sep 2, 2011, at 11:22 AM, Michael Hopcroft wrote:

        Does anyone know if Villainomicon is headed for print?

        It came out in printed form earlier this year, and is sitting right next to the Icons rulebook on my shelf. The current "in production" volume is Icons Team-Up. I'm very much looking forward to that one (pre-ordered the other day)!

        One question for Gareth: why are printed Icons books so expensive? They're almost they same price as the WotC D&D hardcovers! Is this because of low print run numbers pushing up the price per unit, the relationship with Cubicle 7, or other factors? So far, I've purchased each one, but they're surprisingly pricey. Sorry if this question was already asked and answered before I joined the list.

        Chris

        Chris Heard
        Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast

      • Gareth-Michael Skarka
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2011
          Chris--

          > One question for Gareth: why are printed Icons books so expensive?
          > They're almost they same price as the WotC D&D hardcovers! Is this
          > because of low print run numbers pushing up the price per unit, the
          > relationship with Cubicle 7, or other factors?

          Because WotC's D&D hardcovers are artificially cheaper than usual, due
          to truly *massive* print runs (20K+ minimum).

          $30 for a 128-page full-color is fairly reasonable. (See for example,
          Paizo's Pathfinder adventure paths, which are $20 for 96-page full-
          color)

          -Gareth
        • Tommy Brownell
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2011
            Yeah, I don't see this...unless it's softcover AND black and white, I don't expect to spend anything less than $30 on new RPG books these days.

            Anything less than that is just a bonus.

            > One question for Gareth: why are printed Icons books so expensive?
            > They're almost they same price as the WotC D&D hardcovers! Is this
            > because of low print run numbers pushing up the price per unit, the
            > relationship with Cubicle 7, or other factors?

            Because WotC's D&D hardcovers are artificially cheaper than usual, due
            to truly *massive* print runs (20K+ minimum).

            $30 for a 128-page full-color is fairly reasonable. (See for example,
            Paizo's Pathfinder adventure paths, which are $20 for 96-page full-
            color)

            -Gareth

            No virus found in this message.

          • Michael Hopcroft
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 2011

              That doesn’t excuse my going to Amazon instead of directly to Adamant. I feel guilty about going through third parties sometimes and feel that my money would do more good directly in the coffers of the publisher. That or a local shop.

              Yeah, I don't see this...unless it's softcover AND black and white, I don't expect to spend anything less than $30 on new RPG books these days.

              Anything less than that is just a bonus.

              > One question for Gareth: why are printed Icons books so expensive?
              > They're almost they same price as the WotC D&D hardcovers! Is this
              > because of low print run numbers pushing up the price per unit, the
              > relationship with Cubicle 7, or other factors?

              Because WotC's D&D hardcovers are artificially cheaper than usual, due
              to truly *massive* print runs (20K+ minimum).

              $30 for a 128-page full-color is fairly reasonable. (See for example,
              Paizo's Pathfinder adventure paths, which are $20 for 96-page full-
              color)

              -Gareth

              No virus found in this message.

            • Curt Meyer
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2, 2011
                It would be nice if Adamant joined bits and mortar. Of course I'm buying ICONS books anyway.

                Sent from my iPad

                On Sep 2, 2011, at 6:13 PM, "Michael Hopcroft" <mhopcroft@...> wrote:

                That doesn’t excuse my going to Amazon instead of directly to Adamant. I feel guilty about going through third parties sometimes and feel that my money would do more good directly in the coffers of the publisher. That or a local shop.

                Yeah, I don't see this...unless it's softcover AND black and white, I don't expect to spend anything less than $30 on new RPG books these days.

                Anything less than that is just a bonus.

                > One question for Gareth: why are printed Icons books so expensive?
                > They're almost they same price as the WotC D&D hardcovers! Is this
                > because of low print run numbers pushing up the price per unit, the
                > relationship with Cubicle 7, or other factors?

                Because WotC's D&D hardcovers are artificially cheaper than usual, due
                to truly *massive* print runs (20K+ minimum).

                $30 for a 128-page full-color is fairly reasonable. (See for example,
                Paizo's Pathfinder adventure paths, which are $20 for 96-page full-
                color)

                -Gareth

                No virus found in this message.

              • Dr. Nuncheon
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 2, 2011

                  On Sep 2, 2011, at 7:21 PM, Curt Meyer wrote:

                  It would be nice if Adamant joined bits and mortar. Of course I'm buying ICONS books anyway.

                  Free PDF copies

                  Have you purchased a print copy of an Adamant release from your local game store?

                  If so, Adamant Entertainment is happy to send you a free PDF copy of the product you’ve purchased. Just scan your receipt and email it to Adamant, and we’ll send you a link to a complimentary download of the product on PDF. We’ll also contact your local store and see if there’s anything we can do for them, as well!

                  This offer is good for any Adamant product in print: Pathfinder releases, Savage Worlds releases, and ICONS!

                • Curt Meyer