Threshold RPG

  • Seamus
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
      This may be a little off topic, but I just grabbed a playtest version of the Threshold RPG, which is described as "tragic superheroes".

      Has anyone looked at this one? I'm gonna give it a read and see where it goes.
    • Fabrício César Franco
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
        I wish I could get a playtest version too (hint, hint) to give it a read and tell you.

        Some guys have all the luck, as once Rod Stewart sang. Lol.

        Fabrício
      • daDiceGuy
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
          You can grab it here. http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=94529

          --

          A good friend believes in you... even if it gets him eaten by a huge robot.

        • Fabrício César Franco
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
            Thanks, I got it already. But, as I was talking to Seamus, it's too dark to me. I'm much more into upbeat concepts of superheroes.

            Best,

            Fabrício
          • Cameron Mount

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                  I'm a little unsure so far. It seems VERY similar to another game I know. The setting seems ok.

                  --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Mike Olson <devlin1@...> wrote:

                  > Sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks for the head's up.
                  >
                  > --Mike
                  >

                  > On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Cameron Mount <cameron.a.mount@...>wrote:
                  >

                  > > I'm a little over halfway done reading through it. The mechanics seem
                  > > pretty simple, and unlike Fabricio, I like the darkner nature of the game. I
                  > > think, so far, that the Regret mechanic is pretty interesting, and that's
                  > > what sets it apart from some other similar styles of rules-light games. I've
                  > > still got to finish reading through it and all before I come to any kind of
                  > > conclusion, but so far it's fairly interesting.
                  > >
                  > > 2011/9/2 Fabrício César Franco <fabfranco@...>
                  > >
                  > >> **
                  > >>

                  > >> Thanks, I got it already. But, as I was talking to Seamus, it's too dark
                  > >> to me. I'm much more into upbeat concepts of superheroes.
                  > >>
                  > >> Best,
                  > >>
                  > >> Fabrício

                • Cameron Mount
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                    I thought it seemed similar to something I've read, too, but I can't put my figure on which game. I've looked through dozens of rules-light games, free and paid, over the last few years so I can't remember what this reminds me off.

                    On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 12:38, Seamus <sotp_seamus@...> wrote:

                    I'm a little unsure so far. It seems VERY similar to another game I know. The setting seems ok.

                    --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Mike Olson <devlin1@...> wrote:

                    > Sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks for the head's up.
                    >
                    > --Mike
                    >

                    > On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Cameron Mount <cameron.a.mount@...>wrote:
                    >

                    > > I'm a little over halfway done reading through it. The mechanics seem
                    > > pretty simple, and unlike Fabricio, I like the darkner nature of the game. I
                    > > think, so far, that the Regret mechanic is pretty interesting, and that's
                    > > what sets it apart from some other similar styles of rules-light games. I've
                    > > still got to finish reading through it and all before I come to any kind of
                    > > conclusion, but so far it's fairly interesting.
                    > >
                    > > 2011/9/2 Fabrício César Franco <fabfranco@...>
                    > >
                    > >> **
                    > >>

                    > >> Thanks, I got it already. But, as I was talking to Seamus, it's too dark
                    > >> to me. I'm much more into upbeat concepts of superheroes.
                    > >>
                    > >> Best,
                    > >>
                    > >> Fabrício

                  • Seamus
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                      Suffice it to say, if the writer of this game starts making money on it, Margaret Weis may want to know.

                      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Mount <cameron.a.mount@...> wrote:

                      > I thought it seemed similar to something I've read, too, but I can't put my
                      > figure on which game. I've looked through dozens of rules-light games, free
                      > and paid, over the last few years so I can't remember what this reminds me
                      > off.
                      >
                      > On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 12:38, Seamus <sotp_seamus@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > I'm a little unsure so far. It seems VERY similar to another game I know.
                      > > The setting seems ok.
                      > >
                      > > --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Mike Olson <devlin1@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks for the head's up.
                      > > >
                      > > > --Mike

                      > > game. I
                      > > that's
                      > > I've
                      > > kind of

                      > > dark

                    • Fabrício César Franco
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                        Which is the original game? I thought it was a mishmash from TV series.

                        Lost Fabrício
                      • Seamus
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                          You're right about the setting, but the mechanics are very close to Cortex, by Margaret Weis. There's some differences, but they're very similar.

                          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Fabrício César Franco <fabfranco@...> wrote:

                          > Which is the original game? I thought it was a mishmash from TV series.
                          >
                          > Lost Fabrício

                        • Fabrício César Franco
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                            Ah, I see. I've read Smallville, but it's not what I usually like. Too much teenage angst for my taste.

                            I like Margaret Weis on Dragonlance though. But it's totally different matter. :)

                            Best,

                            Fabrício