Current Events as Aspects?

  • Seamus
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31 9:15 AM
      In the PbEM group, something very interesting has happened. One of the players (I'm calling you out Icosahedrophilia) wrote into his posting that instead of being on his lunch break his office was closed, and he and his co-workers were volunteering for cleanup after Hurricane Irene. I thought this was a brilliant idea.

      So the question is: Does it seem like a good idea to award Determination for using current events to affect the story? I'm reminded of the way many comics responded after 9/11, along with other slightly less notable events. I know there's a section that mentions handing out Determination for doing cool things. I see this more as a player using something as a temporary Challenge ("We lost power in the storm. Guess we can't use the computer to follow the tracking device we planted.") It should be noted that I might allow this sort of thing only if it was handled tastefully. Bad jokes at the expense of a tragedy just aren't cool.

      Good idea?
    • Icosahedrophilia
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31 9:18 AM
        On Aug 31, 2011, at 9:15 AM, Seamus wrote:

        So the question is: Does it seem like a good idea to award Determination for using current events to affect the story?

        Hadn't considered that, but I wouldn't object. :-)

        Chris Heard
        Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast

      • Seamus
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31 9:26 AM
          I should hope not. I gave you a Determination for going there. :P

          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Icosahedrophilia <d20@...> wrote:

          > On Aug 31, 2011, at 9:15 AM, Seamus wrote:
          > > So the question is: Does it seem like a good idea to award Determination for using current events to affect the story?
          > >

          > Hadn't considered that, but I wouldn't object. :-)
          >
          > Chris Heard
          > Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast
          > http://drchris.me/d20

        • Fabrício César Franco
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31 9:48 AM
            Total cool with me. Kudos to Chris!

            Fun is the word.

            Best regards,

            Fabrício
          • Hollis McCray
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 31 8:53 PM
              On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Seamus <sotp_seamus@...> wrote:

              > In the PbEM group, something very interesting has happened. One of the players (I'm calling you out Icosahedrophilia) wrote into his posting that instead of being on his lunch break his office was closed, and he and his co-workers were volunteering for cleanup after Hurricane Irene. I thought this was a brilliant idea.
              >
              > So the question is: Does it seem like a good idea to award Determination for using current events to affect the story? I'm reminded of the way many comics responded after 9/11, along with other slightly less notable events. I know there's a section that mentions handing out Determination for doing cool things. I see this more as a player using something as a temporary Challenge ("We lost power in the storm. Guess we can't use the computer to follow the tracking device we planted.") It should be noted that I might allow this sort of thing only if it was handled tastefully. Bad jokes at the expense of a tragedy just aren't cool.
              >
              > Good idea?

              Looks good to me. Consider it a campaign aspect if you like.

              --
              Hollis McCray
              aka The Fifth Wanderer

              ascensionschild@...

              "GMing is like herding cats. Wet, angry cats who are pumped full of
              LSD and methamphetamines." - Stolen from some forum sig somewhere