Character Conversions

  • Fabricio
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
      Hello, there.

      I'm looking for a chart which shows me how to convert M&M to Icons. Does anybody know?

      Thanks,

      Fabrício Franco
    • Cameron Mount
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
        It is definitely not that simple. You'd seriously just be better keeping the concepts from ICONS and making a whole new character in M&M that hits the concepts.

        Best,
        Cameron

        On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 13:03, Fabricio <fabfranco@...> wrote:

        Hello, there.

        I'm looking for a chart which shows me how to convert M&M to Icons. Does anybody know?

        Thanks,

        Fabrício Franco

      • Tommy Brownell
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
          In my experience, that is generally the best approach across the board, regardless of systems.

          It is definitely not that simple. You'd seriously just be better keeping the concepts from ICONS and making a whole new character in M&M that hits the concepts.

          Best,
          Cameron

          On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 13:03, Fabricio <fabfranco@...> wrote:

          Hello, there.

          I'm looking for a chart which shows me how to convert M&M to Icons. Does anybody know?

          Thanks,

          Fabrício Franco

          No virus found in this message.

        • Fabrício César Franco
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
            Thanks, Cameron, for your input. But I'm trying to find a benchmark chart from M&M to Icons, as if to see my group is not too 'out of bounds'.

            Best,

            Fabrício Franco

            2011/8/2 Cameron Mount <cameron.a.mount@...>

            It is definitely not that simple. You'd seriously just be better keeping the concepts from ICONS and making a whole new character in M&M that hits the concepts.

            Best,
            Cameron

            On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 13:03, Fabricio <fabfranco@...> wrote:

            Hello, there.

            I'm looking for a chart which shows me how to convert M&M to Icons. Does anybody know?

            Thanks,

            Fabrício Franco

            .

          • Cameron Mount

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                Cameron,

                How 'authoritative' is this benchmark? I mean, I have seen Batman portrayed with a higher level of Prowess that's there, as well as Captain America's coordination (I have seen the converted characters in the wiki too). If I was in doubt before, now I'm simply confused.

[...]

                Recent Activity:
                .

              • Cameron Mount

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                    On Aug 2, 2011, at 3:40 PM, Cameron Mount wrote:

                    It's not authoritative at all, really. I don't know who made it. I just know that it exists.

                    Actually, I made it. <shy smile> I also explained on the same page where the numbers came from and their limitations. It's obviously not authoritative, really just an exercise in collating data. It's not an attempt to shoehorn anybody into anything, just a rough-and-ready conversion from FASERIP to ICONS, really.

                    When dealing with this like this, it's always helpful to remember that comic book writers don't operate with mathematical models for characters' powers. Even the power levels as shown in things like the Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe and the DK encyclopedias and such can vary pretty noticeably. Speaking of, apparently since 2004 the scale used in OHOTMU power grids has been relatively stable, and could be useful in benchmarking and comparisons for ICONS characters: http://marvel.com/universe/OHOTMU:Power_Grids#All-New_OHotMU_Power_Grids

                    Chris Heard
                    Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast

                  • Fabrício César Franco
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                      Chris,

                      Thank you for pointing us up to those Power Grids. Really helpful!

                      Best,

                      Fabrício Franco

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                        Chris,

                        Just to be sure, but I meant no offense.

                        In any case, the link the Marvel site is a good one that I reference fairly often when trying to create characters in M&M or ICONS.

                        Best,
                        Cameron

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                          On Aug 2, 2011, at 4:15 PM, Cameron Mount wrote:
                          > Just to be sure, but I meant no offense.

                          None taken! Not even close!

                          http://drchris.me/d20
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                            I'm not familiar with M&M but I did find some M&M Marvel conversions here http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Marvel_Comic_2e which one can compare to Marvel conversions on the Icons in our Yahoo Groups files section.

                            I don't think there is a simple way of doing this because the system just seem to scale very differently, but this can be a starting point.

                            Attributes in M&M seem to go from 1 to the high 40s. A simple divide by 4 might just about about work  tempered with common sense especially at either end of the scale.

                            M&M does not have an equivalent to Prowess. However there is an Attack value in M&M which seems to go from 1 to mid teens. So maybe something like Attack -4 would do the trick, manually adjusting for character with lower Attack (You don't want The Invisible Woman to end up with -1 Prowess!). Maybe what you need here is a conversion table so you can compress ranges more smoothly.

                            Powers are even more problematic. The scale seems to generally be in the 1 to 20 range but using a crude dived by zero doesn't seem to work at all. Looking at a couple of example it 1/2 conversion ratio would give Wasp 10 Shrinking power in Icons (Cosmic!) while Quicksilver's superspeed would be just 4.

                            Just some thoughts, but it might explain why no one has posted conversion guidelines before.

                            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                                Simple actually. Icons is based on Kenson's ideas for converting TSR's Marvel Super Heroes game to Fudge (which eventually turned into Fate). M&M is based on system introduced by D&D 3e. So in essence he built the two games from different frameworks.

                                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 3, 2011
                                  I recently had to convert characters from M&M to Icons...and I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I just had to eyeball it.

                                  As far as abilities went, I just looked if they were below average/average/above average in M&M and then made them the equivalent in Icons.

                                  Yeah, my wrist got all tired from all the hand-waving.
                                • Fabrício César Franco