Re: [icons-rpg] Help with a character

  • Dr. Nuncheon
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
      On Aug 1, 2011, at 6:35 PM, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:

      > I'm not entirely sure, but the way I see it is you'd use a Willpower test to see if the attack "hits" and then use Resistance to subtract any "damage", kind of like the way armour and force fields work for physical damage.
      >
      > Given that many mental attack don't do damage the exact effect of the Resistance is going to require a judgement call.

      Usually the damage of a power is equal to the power level, so I would say that Resistance 5 vs Telepathy 7 would result in effective Telepathy 2 - which would then be compared to the target's willpower.

      That almost certainly means you won't be able to affect their mind without tagging an aspect per the Telepathy rules, but that seems fine to me. Be sure to have some really frustrating telepathic enemies to help the character shine!
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
        I see, you'd apply the Resistance first then do the Willpower test. That's makes sense. It's how Mind Shield works which is pretty much the same thing. I'm convinced.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
        From: drnuncheon@...
        Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 18:50:47 -0400
        Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] Help with a character

        On Aug 1, 2011, at 6:35 PM, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:

        > I'm not entirely sure, but the way I see it is you'd use a Willpower test to see if the attack "hits" and then use Resistance to subtract any "damage", kind of like the way armour and force fields work for physical damage.
        >
        > Given that many mental attack don't do damage the exact effect of the Resistance is going to require a judgement call.

        Usually the damage of a power is equal to the power level, so I would say that Resistance 5 vs Telepathy 7 would result in effective Telepathy 2 - which would then be compared to the target's willpower.

        That almost certainly means you won't be able to affect their mind without tagging an aspect per the Telepathy rules, but that seems fine to me. Be sure to have some really frustrating telepathic enemies to help the character shine!
      • Fabrício César Franco
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
          Thank you, everyone. The player is very satisfied with his 'mentally tough as nails' character, and I think the 'Mind Shield' procedure will apply comfortably here.

          Fabrício Franco

          From: drnuncheon@...
          Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 18:50:47 -0400

          .