Help with a character

  • Fabricio
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
      Hello everyone.

      One of the guys in my group has created a character, using the dice and rolls. He got a trained one, with nice numbers, which follow:

      Prowess - 4
      Constitution - 5
      Strength - 5
      Intelligence - 7
      Awareness - 7
      Willpower - 4

      As he is a trained character, he got a bonus +3 on specialties (rolled for 2) and got only one power, which is, Resistance.

      Specialties: Business (Expert)& Investigation (Master).

      He came up with the idea of an dilettante businessman with high investigating abilities turned superhero, properly called "The Investigator". He rolled for the level of Resistance, which he thought could be to Mental Attacks, and got a 6. The Investigator's willpower is superhumanly strong — so much so that he can resist the effects of Mental Powers more easily than ordinary people can. So far so good, but... How can I manage that on game terms now? Do I add 6 to his Willpower 4 and make it 10? Or is it just 6 all the time until checked, and when beaten by enemy attacks and diminished to 0, he starts to use his 'normal' willpower?

      Thanks in advance,

      Fabrício Franco
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
        I'm not entirely sure, but the way I see it is you'd use a Willpower test to see if the attack "hits" and then use Resistance to subtract any "damage", kind of like the way armour and force fields work for physical damage.

        Given that many mental attack don't do damage the exact effect of the Resistance is going to require a judgement call. For instance if, after a successful Willpower test, someone with Telepathy 7 tries to read the mind of someone with Resistance Mental 5, the amount of information gleaned this way is going to be somewhat reduced.

        That said, Resistance is a seems like a really, really boring superpower to me, especially if it's the only power he's got. If you player is happy with it than fine, but I would certainly offer the player the chance to reroll or just roll another power at no DP cost. The random character generation process works better for as inspiration rather than a straight-jacket.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
          On Aug 1, 2011, at 6:35 PM, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:

          > I'm not entirely sure, but the way I see it is you'd use a Willpower test to see if the attack "hits" and then use Resistance to subtract any "damage", kind of like the way armour and force fields work for physical damage.
          >
          > Given that many mental attack don't do damage the exact effect of the Resistance is going to require a judgement call.

          Usually the damage of a power is equal to the power level, so I would say that Resistance 5 vs Telepathy 7 would result in effective Telepathy 2 - which would then be compared to the target's willpower.

          That almost certainly means you won't be able to affect their mind without tagging an aspect per the Telepathy rules, but that seems fine to me. Be sure to have some really frustrating telepathic enemies to help the character shine!
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
            I see, you'd apply the Resistance first then do the Willpower test. That's makes sense. It's how Mind Shield works which is pretty much the same thing. I'm convinced.

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
            From: drnuncheon@...
            Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 18:50:47 -0400
            Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] Help with a character

            On Aug 1, 2011, at 6:35 PM, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:

            > I'm not entirely sure, but the way I see it is you'd use a Willpower test to see if the attack "hits" and then use Resistance to subtract any "damage", kind of like the way armour and force fields work for physical damage.
            >
            > Given that many mental attack don't do damage the exact effect of the Resistance is going to require a judgement call.

            Usually the damage of a power is equal to the power level, so I would say that Resistance 5 vs Telepathy 7 would result in effective Telepathy 2 - which would then be compared to the target's willpower.

            That almost certainly means you won't be able to affect their mind without tagging an aspect per the Telepathy rules, but that seems fine to me. Be sure to have some really frustrating telepathic enemies to help the character shine!
          • Fabrício César Franco
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
              Thank you, everyone. The player is very satisfied with his 'mentally tough as nails' character, and I think the 'Mind Shield' procedure will apply comfortably here.

              Fabrício Franco

              From: drnuncheon@...
              Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 18:50:47 -0400

              .