Re: Point-Buy Character Creation

  • Sean Patrick Fannon
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010
      Answers below.

      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, David Andrews <blaster219@...> wrote:

      > Couple of questions cropping up on the point-buy system as I read through
      > the book and try to convert a M&M game to Icons.
      >
      > *Point of Cost of Powers*
      >
      > Some powers are marked as "Double" meaning that using the Roll method, these
      > powers occupy two "slots". In the point buy system, powers cost 1 point per
      > level, do Double powers cost double as well?

      That's how I do it - double cost, including per raise if you're using the Permanent Determination as Experience Points option.

      > *Bonus Powers*
      >
      > Some powers grant Bonus Powers that occupy another power slot without
      > needing to be rolled. How do Bonus Powers work in the point buy system? Do
      > you just pay for them as a separate power?

      Bone powers count towards Determination... er... determination. ;-)

      They are powers, period, so they should cost in Point Buy.

      > These questions popped up because I'm using the Icons Character Folio to
      > build characters and according to that program, Bonus Powers cost zero
      > points and Double Powers (like Teleportation) cost the same as every other
      > power (1 point per level). It'd help to know if there's a problem with how
      > the program is costing stuff or how I'm understanding the rules.

      The Folio needs some work, true.

      I handle it pretty simply - I use the "Copy Text" option, insert the text into Open Office, and then adjust by hand.

      ~SPF
    • Steve Kenson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010
        On Aug 1, 2010, at 7:56 AM, David Andrews wrote:
        Some powers are marked as "Double" meaning that using the Roll method, these
        powers occupy two "slots". In the point buy system, powers cost 1 point per
        level, do Double powers cost double as well?

        They don't by default (powers all cost the same: 1 point per level), although you can have them cost double if you prefer.

        Some powers grant Bonus Powers that occupy another power slot without
        needing to be rolled. How do Bonus Powers work in the point buy system? Do
        you just pay for them as a separate power?

        Essentially, yes. Much of what bonus powers are intended to do is irrelevant in the point-buy system, since you get to pick all your powers anyway. So you don't need the ability to swap random powers for themed ones that bonus powers gives you.

        So most "bonus" powers are just bought as additional powers for the usual 1 point per level. In cases where a bonus power is a modification to an existing power, like making a touch power work at close range without touching, treat it like increasing the power's cost per level by 1 (so from 1 per level to 2 per level for "base" power).

        That help?

      • David Andrews
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010
          On 1 August 2010 17:15, Steve Kenson <stevekenson@...> wrote:

          That help?._,___

          Pretty much what I figured. I may make "Double" powers cost double as a house rule depending on the setting I'm using.

          ----
          Blog: http://blaster219.wordpress.com
          DeviantART: http://blaster219.deviantart.com

          "Heroes get shot, stabbed, burned, bludgeoned, poisoned, infected, disintegrated, irradiated, electrocuted, exposed to vacuum and fall from great heights. Being a hero is a tough job."
          - Alternity GMG, Chapter 6 (Damage and Injury)