Re: [icons-rpg] Re: Why not?

  • Icosahedrophilia
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2011
      On Jul 31, 2011, at 7:26 PM, Gareth-Michael Skarka wrote:

      Well, for what it's worth -- the rules that will be appearing in ICONS TEAM-UP are specifically designed for running long-term campaigns.

      Hey, that is great news!

      As things now stand, pre-TEAM-UP, I think (this is mostly a guess!) one of the reasons players and GMs *might* shy away from long-term ICONS games is that players might expect more out of character advancement. This is probably a holdover from fantasy games. Gamers and GMs familiar with D&D and other such games might expect characters to "get better" (dramatically so) over time, and ICONS defies this expectation (with good reason).

      Chris

      Chris Heard
      Icosahedrophilia Blog and Podcast

    • Jakub
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2011
        Icons simply doesn't have experience point rules - which is fine for many games (mostly old school), but of course comic book characters never change, which is right on the spot.
      • Tommy Brownell
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2011
          Slight disagreement.

          Comic book characters DO change, and in noticeable ways, but - with a few exceptions - it is almost never a steady increase like in most "Hero to Zero" RPGs...usually coming in big, plot relevant bursts.
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2011
            Thank you, everyone, for your opinions and viewpoints. This group, from all the ones I've taken part in, is one of the kindest and supportive. Glad to be here.

            I just hope that you continue to put up with me in the consecutive questions about the game which come up to me.

            Fabrício Franco