I find myself wondering...

  • eric troup
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
      I'm just curious. It seems like almost every message I read from you is about how this part of Icons is broken, or that part needs house-ruling, or the other thing is redundant, or the way Icons handles such-and-such sucks ... It begs the question: Why do you bother with it? Surely, with all the superhero games on the market, there's got to be one that would suit you or your group better than Icons apparently does. I understand that the game isn't perfect ... but at what point does house-ruling change to, for all intents and purposes, designing a different game?

      So why do you play Icons?

      On 29 Jul 2011, at 14:26, Brandon Blackmoor wrote:

      On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:18 +0000, selphil@... wrote:

      > It seems redundant.

      It is redundant.

      Kind regards,
      Brandon Blackmoor

      --
      bblackmoor@...
      2011-07-29

    • Brandon Blackmoor
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
        On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 08:25 -0700, "eric troup" <yakkoman@...>
        wrote:

        > It seems like almost every message I read from you is
        > about how this part of Icons is broken, or that part
        > needs house-ruling...

        You'd rather that when someone asks how to do X, or asks if they
        correctly understand Y, that they not receive an answer? Keeping silent
        about a game's weaknesses doesn't help anyone. Being constructive,
        providing answers to questions, and offering work-arounds to the
        system's weaknesses is helpful.

        > So why do you play Icons?

        Because it's quick to explain, quick to make up characters, and quick to
        play. It's a fun game that doesn't require a lot of time investment from
        the players, which in my case is often the difference between being able
        to get people to play or or not.

        Kind regards,
        Brandon Blackmoor

        --
        bblackmoor@...
        2011-07-31
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
          Icons Rule 0: "Make the game your own." - GMS

          (Yeah, I'm gonna keep pimping that! :)

          jaerdaph

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
            I'm not sure people are saying the game is broken and I find a lot of the questions raised interesting.

            What does surprise me is how much interest there is in the point buy system. Personally I love the random system and the point buy seems very much like an after thought. If it came to it I'd still choose free form modelling over point buy.

            Still, if I were the Adamant I would take note of the fact that a good section of fanbase want a robust point buy system for Icons.

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
            From: yakkoman@...
            Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 08:25:41 -0700
            Subject: [icons-rpg] I find myself wondering...

            I'm just curious. It seems like almost every message I read from you is about how this part of Icons is broken, or that part needs house-ruling, or the other thing is redundant, or the way Icons handles such-and-such sucks ... It begs the question: Why do you bother with it? Surely, with all the superhero games on the market, there's got to be one that would suit you or your group better than Icons apparently does. I understand that the game isn't perfect ... but at what point does house-ruling change to, for all intents and purposes, designing a different game?

            So why do you play Icons?

            On 29 Jul 2011, at 14:26, Brandon Blackmoor wrote:

            On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:18 +0000, selphil@... wrote:

            > It seems redundant.

            It is redundant.

            Kind regards,