Gear and Equipment

  • blaster219@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2010
      In my (apparently never-ending) attempt to convert a M&M sci-fi campaign to ICONS, I've got to the part where I need to consider the equipment used by the PCs. I've seen no guidelines on starting (mundane) equipment so I assume that PCs can start with whatever they would conceivably need for their character.

      But I'm not sure how much damage weapons should do or how much protection armour should provide. Are there any benchmarks.

      Also, how should you handle significant pieces of equipment that the PCs don't use very often but are effectively devices that temporarily grant powers. In this particular incident, I'm thinking of a set of prototype powered combat armour that the PCs use when they need to. Essentially, an environmentally sealed (which interfered with some touch-based or aerosol based powers) set of combat armour with speed and strength enhancers, full sensory suite (which interfered with certain super-senses) and a highly experimental ablative forcefield. They used in two missions out of about eight in the first season.
    • Colin
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
        Yep, mundane stuff that's not integral to the character concept, and can be easily lost or damaged or what have you, is simply assigned to suit. Important gear that provides real benefits is purchased as Powers. See "Devices" on page 28.

        Benchmarks are provided under "Benchmarks" on pages 88-89, as well as in the gear used by various Stock Characters on pages 116-118.

        Colin

        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "blaster219@..." <blaster219@...> wrote:

        > In my (apparently never-ending) attempt to convert a M&M sci-fi campaign to ICONS, I've got to the part where I need to consider the equipment used by the PCs. I've seen no guidelines on starting (mundane) equipment so I assume that PCs can start with whatever they would conceivably need for their character.
        >
        > But I'm not sure how much damage weapons should do or how much protection armour should provide. Are there any benchmarks.
        >
        > Also, how should you handle significant pieces of equipment that the PCs don't use very often but are effectively devices that temporarily grant powers. In this particular incident, I'm thinking of a set of prototype powered combat armour that the PCs use when they need to. Essentially, an environmentally sealed (which interfered with some touch-based or aerosol based powers) set of combat armour with speed and strength enhancers, full sensory suite (which interfered with certain super-senses) and a highly experimental ablative forcefield. They used in two missions out of about eight in the first season.

      • Sean Patrick Fannon
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
          Answers below...

          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "blaster219@..." <blaster219@...> wrote:
          > But I'm not sure how much damage weapons should do or how much protection armour should provide. Are there any benchmarks.

          I was struggling with the same thing, and I found some guidelines by looking through the Stock Characters.

          > Also, how should you handle significant pieces of equipment that the PCs don't use very often but are effectively devices that temporarily grant powers. In this particular incident, I'm thinking of a set of prototype powered combat armour that the PCs use when they need to. Essentially, an environmentally sealed (which interfered with some touch-based or aerosol based powers) set of combat armour with speed and strength enhancers, full sensory suite (which interfered with certain super-senses) and a highly experimental ablative forcefield. They used in two missions out of about eight in the first season.

          Again, I'd just eyeball it. You should just assign/allow gear as the story demands.

          ~SPF