Why would a brick take the Strike power?

  • selphil@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2011
      It seems redundant.

      For example, The Troll in the rule book has Strike 5 -- but he's got a Prowess of 7. He would never use his Strike power over his natural fighting ability (Prowess). He causes 9 damage due to his Strength as well.

      The only benefit that I can see is that he can declare his Strike ability as a bashing attack, so if he decides to attack with Strike he will cause 10 Damage (Strength+1) if successful.

      Not a great trade-off if you ask me.

      Am I missing something? I'm still figuring out the rules.
    • Brandon Blackmoor
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2011
        On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:18 +0000, selphil@... wrote:

        > It seems redundant.

        It is redundant.

        Kind regards,
        Brandon Blackmoor

        --
        bblackmoor@...
        2011-07-29
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2011
          It's redundant in normal use.

          However, let's say there's a reason.

          I have always thought of it as the damage from his horns or spines--damage that remains even if he gets hit by a Strength drain.

          (I'd like my No-Prize, now.)

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2011
            The default assumption of the game is that you're rolling your powers randomly.

            --Mike

            On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 2:18 PM, <selphil@...> wrote:
            It seems redundant.

            For example, The Troll in the rule book has Strike 5 -- but he's got a Prowess of 7.  He would never use his Strike power over his natural fighting ability (Prowess).  He causes 9 damage due to his Strength as well.

            The only benefit that I can see is that he can declare his Strike ability as a bashing attack, so if he decides to attack with Strike he will cause 10 Damage (Strength+1) if successful.

            Not a great trade-off if you ask me.

            Am I missing something?  I'm still figuring out the rules.

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
               icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Jeff Johnston
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2011
              You never roll Strike to hit - it's always Prowess. You choose slashing or bashing attack and use the ordinary rules for those actions - the power level of the Strike just determines the damage.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29, 2011
                Sure, but he's right that Troll's Strength swamps that strike, unless it's used as Strength+1 damage.

                I was just providing an alternate reason for Strength 5 versus a pair of brass knuckles.

                You never roll Strike to hit - it's always Prowess. You choose slashing or bashing attack and use the ordinary rules for those actions - the power level of the Strike just determines the damage.

                On Jul 29, 2011, at 5:30 PM, ";ohn McMullen" <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:

                > It's redundant in normal use.
                >
                > However, let's say there's a reason.
                >
                > I have always thought of it as the damage from his horns or spines--damage that remains even if he gets hit by a Strength drain.
                >
                > (I'd like my No-Prize, now.)
                >
                > John

              • eric troup
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
                  I'm just curious. It seems like almost every message I read from you is about how this part of Icons is broken, or that part needs house-ruling, or the other thing is redundant, or the way Icons handles such-and-such sucks ... It begs the question: Why do you bother with it? Surely, with all the superhero games on the market, there's got to be one that would suit you or your group better than Icons apparently does. I understand that the game isn't perfect ... but at what point does house-ruling change to, for all intents and purposes, designing a different game?

                  So why do you play Icons?

                  On 29 Jul 2011, at 14:26, Brandon Blackmoor wrote:

                  On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:18 +0000, selphil@... wrote:

                  > It seems redundant.

                  It is redundant.

                  Kind regards,
                  Brandon Blackmoor

                  --
                  bblackmoor@...
                  2011-07-29

                • Brandon Blackmoor
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
                    On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 08:25 -0700, "eric troup" <yakkoman@...>
                    wrote:

                    > It seems like almost every message I read from you is
                    > about how this part of Icons is broken, or that part
                    > needs house-ruling...

                    You'd rather that when someone asks how to do X, or asks if they
                    correctly understand Y, that they not receive an answer? Keeping silent
                    about a game's weaknesses doesn't help anyone. Being constructive,
                    providing answers to questions, and offering work-arounds to the
                    system's weaknesses is helpful.

                    > So why do you play Icons?

                    Because it's quick to explain, quick to make up characters, and quick to
                    play. It's a fun game that doesn't require a lot of time investment from
                    the players, which in my case is often the difference between being able
                    to get people to play or or not.

                    Kind regards,
                    Brandon Blackmoor

                    --
                    bblackmoor@...
                    2011-07-31
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
                      Icons Rule 0: "Make the game your own." - GMS

                      (Yeah, I'm gonna keep pimping that! :)

                      jaerdaph

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
                        I'm not sure people are saying the game is broken and I find a lot of the questions raised interesting.

                        What does surprise me is how much interest there is in the point buy system. Personally I love the random system and the point buy seems very much like an after thought. If it came to it I'd still choose free form modelling over point buy.

                        Still, if I were the Adamant I would take note of the fact that a good section of fanbase want a robust point buy system for Icons.

                        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                        From: yakkoman@...
                        Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 08:25:41 -0700
                        Subject: [icons-rpg] I find myself wondering...

                        I'm just curious. It seems like almost every message I read from you is about how this part of Icons is broken, or that part needs house-ruling, or the other thing is redundant, or the way Icons handles such-and-such sucks ... It begs the question: Why do you bother with it? Surely, with all the superhero games on the market, there's got to be one that would suit you or your group better than Icons apparently does. I understand that the game isn't perfect ... but at what point does house-ruling change to, for all intents and purposes, designing a different game?

                        So why do you play Icons?

                        On 29 Jul 2011, at 14:26, Brandon Blackmoor wrote:

                        On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:18 +0000, selphil@... wrote:

                        > It seems redundant.

                        It is redundant.

                        Kind regards,