RE: [icons-rpg] Re: Specialities in Whiteout

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2011
      Thanks. Well done with Whiteout, it looks like a fun adventure. When I finally get to run it I'll post a quick report.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: johnpost@...
      Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 07:29:56 -0400
      Subject: [icons-rpg] Re: Specialities in Whiteout

      One of Mr. Kenson's suggestions in the ICONS book is that you shouldn't make a player test for something unless there is a chance for failure and that failure would be important for the story.  I tend to think that the +1 to +3 for the Specialties can be a little underwhelming in a lot of instances.  I'm an "expert" in my profession.  If something comes up, I know the answer or I know how to find it with a little bit of research. The only time a real expert is going to fail to come up with the right answer is if he or she is asked to make a snap decision without any real analysis or access to reference materials or it is something that is really outside of his or her area of expertise and very theoretical.  These are things that I'd make a player roll for, but they are not going to come up in an investigation that often.

      PS.  I hope you enjoy Whiteout!  I'll be running it at Gen Con this year.  It should be fun.

      John Post
      "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the
      stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
      while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
      of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute
      force." - Ayn Rand