Re: [icons-rpg] Handling Bases/Vehicles/Sidekicks...oh my

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2011
      Generally, I treat it as a freebie. Vehicles get used as a story element--none
      of my players happen to have a character that makes heavy use of vehicles. You
      need to get to place X? Here. (For the Jailbreak story, I gave them access to an
      Armed Forces teleporter, but should they ever try to use it again, they'll find
      he has retired and has his own demands.)

      In story, the base is a gathering place and a containment spot for one
      supervillain. (And that's relatively new; I don't know how it will play out.
      They have Wraith, and don't trust a government facility, not that there is one
      they know of.)

      If they wanted to say, "And the base has a collection of books that adds +1 to
      my Occult specialty" that would cost a Determination (a lab, of sorts). If they
      needed the motor on the base (a moored old cargo ship) to work, that would cost
      a Determination point. If they want features besides the basic (a gathering
      place with beds and a

      Unlike Brandon, I've never seen a sidekick because the player wanted one. I've
      foisted them off on players, but never had one ask for a sidekick.

      On the other hand, I design adventures (or modify them) with the current stats
      of bases and vehicles in mind. I suspect my model is this:
      * It costs a determination point (not a starting determination, just a
      determination point) for what I deem a reasonable feature: something that is
      reasonable for a boat that has been a superhero headquarters for thirty-plus
      years. That's just a kind of retcon.
      * It costs a starting determination point if I think it is an unreasonable
      feature. ("We fight crime in our neighbourhood, but I want the vehicle to be
      able to go to the Moon!" or perhaps, "There is a gateway to the dimension of the
      fire-people right in this closet, and we fight Inferna on a weekly basis!")

      John McMullen (Young old coot)
      jhmcmullen@...