Re: [icons-rpg] State of the Game - 201006

  • Mike Olson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2010
      I have a question: How many of us have actually played a game of Icons as opposed to just making characters?

      I ask because I really dig chargen, but felt a little let down by the system in play. Anyone else have a comparable or contrary experience with gameplay?

      --Mike

      On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Hollis McCray <ascensionschild@...> wrote:
      One of the gaming mailing lists I used to be on did a monthly 'State
      of the Game' message. Sort of a fans-eye-view of where the game
      stands, and where it's going. That's one thing I intend to do with the
      Icons mailing list. That being said...

      --------------------------
      State of the Game - 201006
      --------------------------

      May saw the release of Icons to those that had preordered it. From
      what I've read, everyone seems to be loving it. While random character
      generation seems at odds with modern game theory, Icons does it well.
      There's some wiggle room in the character generation process to let
      you tweak your character if you end up with something you feel is
      unplayable. The first games are being run, campaigns are being
      planned, and the meme is spreading nicely...

      We've also seen the founding of the Icons wiki, the first Icons
      fansite, and the Icons mailing list.

      By the time you're reading this, the Icons PDF will be live on RPGNow.
      The print edition is at the printers, and should be on its way into
      distribution shortly. In fact...

      http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=81475

      There it is.
      -----------------
      Upcoming Products
      -----------------

      Adamant Entertainment has announced four adventures:
      The Skeletron Key by Steve Kenson
      Sins of the Past by Theron Bretz
      The Mastermind Affair by Morgan Davie
      Jailbreak by Eddy Webb

      A Java-based character generator has also been announced.

      That's everything for this month.

      --
      Hollis McCray
      aka The Fifth Wanderer

      ascensionschild@...

      "GMing is like herding cats. Wet, angry cats who are pumped full of
      LSD and methamphetamines." - Stolen from some forum sig somewhere

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
         icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Hollis McCray
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2010
        On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Mike Olson <devlin1@...> wrote:

        > I have a question: How many of us have actually played a game of Icons as opposed to just making characters?
        >
        > I ask because I really dig chargen, but felt a little let down by the system in play. Anyone else have a comparable or contrary experience with gameplay?

        I've played through 'The Wages of Sin' with a few of my friends. They
        loved it, and wanted to know when I'd be starting a full game.
        Everyone had a good time, even the guy whose one power was Astral
        Projection 8.
        --
        Hollis McCray
        aka The Fifth Wanderer

        ascensionschild@...

        "GMing is like herding cats. Wet, angry cats who are pumped full of
        LSD and methamphetamines." - Stolen from some forum sig somewhere
      • yorrick99
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010
          Cool. My kids finish school this week and I'm hoping to play a game with them soon. They've played Supercrew successfully a handful of times, so I see ICONS as a little step up in difficulty.