Re: [icons-rpg] How powerful is an 8?

  • Curt Meyer
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 5, 2011
      Man, I love ICONS!

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jul 5, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Charles Rice <rpgchuck@...> wrote:

      Right, according to the Marvel Scale, 7 would be Professor X, Magneto, and Tony Stark (capable of repairing alien technology or making improvements on normal science); 8 would be Reed Richards, Dr. Doom, Leader, Ultron (can modify and improve alien technology); 9 would be High Evolutionary, and 10 is listed as the Watcher (sees all, knows all).

      On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Michael Hopcroft <mhopcroft@...> wrote:

      On 7/5/2011 2:03 AM, Charles Rice wrote:

      If I can fall back on comparing ICONS 10-rank ability/power scores with Marvel FASERIP (which also used a 10 rank scale), 8 would be "amazing".

      So: Spider-Man's Coordination; Black Panther's Prowess; Iron Man's Invulnerability; Ms Marvel's Strength; Vision's Strength; Captain Marvel's Awareness

      (yes, I grabbed Avengers Coast to Coast to grab some random stats)

      By contrast, Iron Man's Invulnerability in his gold armor is listed at a 6 in ICONS terms.

      I'm wondering how that applies to Intellect. I recall saying earlier that I assumed Reed Richards would be a 10. Now I'm wondering if I should revise that sentiment, not having seen the FASERIP system in a while. I'm wondering whether the 10 should be left to the nigh-omniscient cosmic entities like the Watcher or Anti-Monitor. Would 8 be as smart as, say, Richards, Doctor Doom  or Lex Luthor?

    • eric troup
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 9, 2011
        At the risk of being a nitpicker, would you not want Prowess, rather than Coordination, to be a 1 for the clumsiness you are after, since Prowess is what is used when fighting (as opposed to Coordination, which is used for ranged attacks)?

        On 5 Jul 2011, at 11:24, Michael Hopcroft wrote:

        > Well, in this case, I managed to find what I think is my answer so far.
        > I found my Judge's Book for Advanced MSH and found that an Amazing rank
        > intelligence is assigned to both Reed Richards and Dr. Doom. So it looks
        > like my super-smart villain will be able to do what I want from him with
        > an Intellect of 8 (and the use of appropriate Stunts).
        >
        > My heroine has a Coordination of 1, as I mentioned, to go along with her
        > Strength of 8. I rolled her up that way. I'm assuming she is going to be
        > rather clumsy and cause some serious property damage when she fights.

      • Michael Hopcroft
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 9, 2011
          On 7/9/2011 1:35 PM, eric troup wrote:

          At the risk of being a nitpicker, would you not want Prowess, rather than Coordination, to be a 1 for the clumsiness you are after, since Prowess is what is used when fighting (as opposed to Coordination, which is used for ranged attacks)?

          She was a rolled-up character. 1 coordination came up on her "dice" (I used the Character Builder to make her)  Besides, I don't want her clumsiness to be utterly crippling. Her only attacks are hand-to-hand based on her Strength. With a 1 prowess she would be a useless combatant. Her clumsiness has more effect in that she tends to cause a lot of property damage when she fights. She's also not the person you want to hand the golden idol to -- more likely than not she'd break it accidentally.
        • Mike Olson
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 9, 2011
            On 5 Jul 2011, at 11:24, Michael Hopcroft wrote:

            > My heroine has a Coordination of 1, as I mentioned, to go along with her
            > Strength of 8. I rolled her up that way. I'm assuming she is going to be
            > rather clumsy and cause some serious property damage when she fights.

            Her Abilities won't have any effect on how likely she is to cause property damage. For that, give her a Challenge of "Collateral Damage Is My Middle Name" or something similar, then compel it to have a missed blow hit something she'd rather not hit.

            --Mike