RE: [icons-rpg] Icons one year on

    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
      Well to put it into context, we've been playing with Fate on and off since Fate 2. Fate got some really cool features and we all drawn to the rules-light, character-centric side of Fate (at least as it originally was). But we've also had some trouble with it, especially the less immersive elements of the game. So there been a lot of play Fate, discuss what went well and what did not, go back to the drawing board and rethink it and trying again. We've been through this cycle several times now. If we didn't like it, we would not even try.

      Icons just clicked first time.

      To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
      From: devlin1@...
      Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 11:25:13 -0700
      Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] Icons one year on

      One of the most common comments about Icons is that "it's Fate finally done right". I accept that technically that might not be quite correct, but the sentiment behind the sentiment is pretty clear.

      What, that they don't like FATE?

      --Mike

    • Brandon Blackmoor
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
        On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 19:23 +0100, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@...>
        wrote:

        > Has it been a success commercially, critically or even personally?
        > Are people still playing it?

        It's reinvigorated the superhero genre for my game group, and in a sense
        reinvigorated the group itself. Before ICONS came out, I had pretty much
        given up on our ever playing superheroes again.

        So, personally: yeah, Massive success. :)

        Kind regards,
        Brandon Blackmoor

        --
        bblackmoor@...
        2011-06-11
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011

          Seeing as I just finished another session/comic issue of a series that I started when the game out a year ago, with this group enjoying every minute of it, I'd have to call it a "massive success" from my end.

          P.S. Brandon I'm loving your podcast.

          - Ron Frazier -

          On Jun 11, 2011 3:16 PM, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@...> wrote:
          > On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 19:23 +0100, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@...>

          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Has it been a success commercially, critically or even personally?
          >> Are people still playing it?
          >

          > It's reinvigorated the superhero genre for my game group, and in a sense
          > reinvigorated the group itself. Before ICONS came out, I had pretty much
          > given up on our ever playing superheroes again.
          >
          > So, personally: yeah, Massive success. :)
          >

          > Kind regards,
          > Brandon Blackmoor
          >
          > --
          > bblackmoor@...
          > 2011-06-11

        • Curt Meyer
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
            Through ICONS I have re-connected with my gaming group from college over Skype, all of whom I hadn't seen in 11 years or so, let alone gamed with. The GM and I are in agreement that it's the best evolution of the Marvel Super Heroes system so far. In his words, "I'm old, I like simple." What really keeps me excited about the game are Dan Houser's Hero Packs, and the almost weekly releases by Vigilance Press. I believe I have 58 PDFs in the ICONS folder on my IPad. ...not bad for a game that's only been out a year. As far as my local group goes, two of us are avid ICONS fans, but the others are 4e "roll" players, so we've only played on session. Keep the low cost PDFs coming. If you publish, I will buy!

            Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
              "I'm old, I like simple."

              I so get that.

              To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
              From: curtmeyer@...
              Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 15:27:46 -0500

              Through ICONS I have re-connected with my gaming group from college over Skype, all of whom I hadn't seen in 11 years or so, let alone gamed with. The GM and I are in agreement that it's the best evolution of the Marvel Super Heroes system so far. In his words, "I'm old, I like simple." What really keeps me excited about the game are Dan Houser's Hero Packs, and the almost weekly releases by Vigilance Press. I believe I have 58 PDFs in the ICONS folder on my IPad. ...not bad for a game that's only been out a year. As far as my local group goes, two of us are avid ICONS fans, but the others are 4e "roll" players, so we've only played on session. Keep the low cost PDFs coming. If you publish, I will buy!

              Sent from my iPad

              On Jun 11, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Ron Frazier <ronfraz63@...> wrote:

              Seeing as I just finished another session/comic issue of a series that I started when the game out a year ago, with this group enjoying every minute of it, I'd have to call it a "massive success" from my end.
              P.S. Brandon I'm loving your podcast.
              - Ron Frazier -
              On Jun 11, 2011 3:16 PM, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@...> wrote:
              > On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 19:23 +0100, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> Has it been a success commercially, critically or even personally?
              >> Are people still playing it?
              >

              > It's reinvigorated the superhero genre for my game group, and in a sense
              > reinvigorated the group itself. Before ICONS came out, I had pretty much
              > given up on our ever playing superheroes again.
              >
              > So, personally: yeah, Massive success. :)
              >

              > Kind regards,
              > Brandon Blackmoor
              >
              > --
              > bblackmoor@...
              > 2011-06-11

            • ;ohn McMullen
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
                I'm there, too.

                It has taken me a while to get used to GMing the Determination point aspect, giving them out and letting them spend them--but we have only played three sessions.

                I am grateful for the adventures. M&M got too complex with the last edition, when what I liked was its simplicity.

                Mark ICONS as a big success for me.

                From: Soylent Green <gsoylent@...>
                Sender: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 21:30:16 +0100
                To: icons group<icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                "I'm old, I like simple."

                I so get that.

                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                From: curtmeyer@...
                Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 15:27:46 -0500

                Through ICONS I have re-connected with my gaming group from college over Skype, all of whom I hadn't seen in 11 years or so, let alone gamed with. The GM and I are in agreement that it's the best evolution of the Marvel Super Heroes system so far. In his words, "I'm old, I like simple." What really keeps me excited about the game are Dan Houser's Hero Packs, and the almost weekly releases by Vigilance Press. I believe I have 58 PDFs in the ICONS folder on my IPad. ...not bad for a game that's only been out a year. As far as my local group goes, two of us are avid ICONS fans, but the others are 4e "roll" players, so we've only played on session. Keep the low cost PDFs coming. If you publish, I will buy!

                Sent from my iPad

                On Jun 11, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Ron Frazier <ronfraz63@...> wrote:

                Seeing as I just finished another session/comic issue of a series that I started when the game out a year ago, with this group enjoying every minute of it, I'd have to call it a "massive success" from my end.
                P.S. Brandon I'm loving your podcast.
                - Ron Frazier -
                On Jun 11, 2011 3:16 PM, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@...> wrote:
                > On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 19:23 +0100, "Soylent Green" <gsoylent@...>
                > wrote:
                >>
                >> Has it been a success commercially, critically or even personally?
                >> Are people still playing it?
                >

                > It's reinvigorated the superhero genre for my game group, and in a sense
                > reinvigorated the group itself. Before ICONS came out, I had pretty much
                > given up on our ever playing superheroes again.
                >
                > So, personally: yeah, Massive success. :)
                >

                > Kind regards,
                > Brandon Blackmoor
                >
                > --
                > bblackmoor@...
                > 2011-06-11

              • Chris Tavares
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011

                  Well, I’ve run two one-shot sessions so far. They were both a lot of fun, and the first games I’ve run in about five years at this point, so I credit it for getting me out of a GM’ing funk. Unfortunately, the gaming scene here seems to be a wasteland of D&D only with a small group of die-hard “so indie it hurts” games; supers seems to be pretty much a non-starter as genres go.

                  -Chris

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
                    On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:

                    > I posted this on rpgnet, but actually I probably should have gone here so forgive the cross post.
                    >
                    > I just kind of noticed the, depending how you count it, Icons has been out for a year now. It's had a big on my gaming, but that might just be me.
                    > Has it been a success commercially, critically or even personally?
                    > Are people still playing it?
                    > What about the support? And what is coming next?
                    > In my own gaming circle it's been, to put in Icons terms, a "Massive Success". One year ago I was the guy introducing Icons to my group, just another game in a long series of games we've tried. Now we are hooked. They all want to run it if they haven't done so already. I've not seen this in our group such widespread enthusiasm for a game.. well ever.
                    > One of the most common comments about Icons is that "it's Fate finally done right". I accept that technically that might not be quite correct, but the sentiment behind the sentiment is pretty clear. Icons certainly struck a chord.

                    Sadly, Icons was a limited success with my gaming group. We played
                    several one-shot games with it, and decided that we liked M&M better
                    for long-term play.

                    Mind you, since I'm known as the 'supers geek' of my gaming circle, I
                    keep Icons in my gaming bag just in case the night's GM can't run.
                    It's paid off a time or two.
                    --
                    Hollis McCray
                    aka The Fifth Wanderer

                    ascensionschild@...

                    "GMing is like herding cats. Wet, angry cats who are pumped full of
                    LSD and methamphetamines." - Stolen from some forum sig somewhere
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
                      On 6/11/2011 11:23 AM, Soylent Green wrote:
[...]

                      As I said elsewhere, I am not currently running it, my one game group shifted to H&S soon after (due to needs to playtest the tweaks.) However, a friend is prepping a game for me to play in--which is awesome. I love the game and thinks it does most things right. I can't wait to play the Steel Thunderbolt! I'm not sure what format he'll actually be in when played, but I think he's awesome. Steel Thunderbolt is the random Golden Age name, I rolled powers in the creator until I got something that fit the name. Superstrong, athlete, with "Blast" in this case
                      he throw jagged steel javelins. I'm thinking of other variants so I don't step on my likely companion's toes (A swordfighting hero.)

                      Any ideas? A superspeedster who turns to Steel? A flier with high armor? I like the form he's in he feels very Golden Age, and that's a good thing at this stage.

                      I should say some of the random villains I rolled up inspired me a great deal.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 11, 2011
                        On 6/11/2011 1:30 PM, Soylent Green wrote:
                        "I'm old, I like simple."

                        I so get that.

                        Oh heck me too. That's why I write simple games, myself.

                        I'm glad you are having fun with Icons, I'm sad about the change from MSH, after I spent so much time helping! (Kidding! That you are playing superheroes and having fun is awesome. Period!)

                      • Curt Meyer

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 12, 2011
                            I know what you mean, due to the timing of things MSH didn't really get the time in the sun in our group it deserved. But it wasn't waster effort because a lot of what we learned with MSH carried over to Icons.

                            Also, for what it's MSH game is still the single most successful campaign I've ever run.

                            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 12, 2011
                              I was originally enthusiastic about ICONS. I pre-ordered it and ran it a few times, but there were flaws in the system that kept me from liking it and it went on the shelf. Luckily, the new rules in the Villainomicon (especially Innate Invulnerability, Limited Tagging, and Starting Determination by Power Level) address a lot of the problems I had. If Adamant ever re-does the rulebook I hope they roll those in. Now I'm looking forward to giving the game another chance.

                              -Chad
                            • Brandon Blackmoor
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 12, 2011
                                On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 03:08 +0000, "Chad" <felixvesper@...> wrote:

                                > If Adamant ever re-does the rulebook I hope they roll those
                                > in. Now I'm looking forward to giving the game another chance.

                                I am sure I am not alone (in fact, I know I'm not) in hoping that the
                                next edition of ICONS gets a thorough rewrite and reorganization, as
                                well as an index. It is a rare game session that someone here doesn't
                                complain about one or the other, or both.

                                Here's a well-worn example: what page is major/massive success explained
                                on? Hint: it's at least three pages, and each of them is at least 20
                                pages away from its nearest neighbor. If you want to check how
                                major/massive success works, you need to find *all* of those pages.
                                Without an index.

                                That one comes up nearly every game, but we still find a new one about
                                every other game. It's almost to the point where it's a running gag. :)

                                Kind regards,
                                Brandon Blackmoor

                                --
                                bblackmoor@...
                                2011-06-13
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 12, 2011
                                  What is it about game rule books and no index - kinda essential, wouldn't you think! ICONS is not alone. Come on publishers, get your act together and give us an index!

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                                    A proper useful index is expensive to create--it contains synonyms as well as terms in the text. A listing of text terms isn't enough. So I can see why a publisher might not do it.

                                    I still want one, though.

                                    From: Benzedrine Sneezer <evil.genius13@...>
                                    Sender: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:03:40 +0100 (BST)
                                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com<icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com>

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                                      without getting negative, I can say that I have heard these criticisms from a few different sources over the last year.
                                      It'd be nice to see an ICONS 2.0 at some point that addresses them

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                                        since you cross-posted - I'll cross reply :)

                                        ICONS has been very good to Vigilance Press. Our WW2 line has been very successful for you.

                                        Of course, we got very lucky. Support for ICONS from other third parties and Adamant was surprising light for a few months and we were able to have the market all to ourselves for quite a while.

                                        Currently we're finishing up our WW2 line and designing a line of short adventures called Action Scenes.

                                        > I posted this on rpgnet, but actually I probably should have gone here so forgive the cross post.
                                        > I just kind of noticed the, depending how you count it, Icons has been out for a year now. It's had a big on my gaming, but that might just be me.
                                        > Has it been a success commercially, critically or even personally?
                                        > Are people still playing it?
                                        > What about the support? And what is coming next?
                                        > In my own gaming circle it's been, to put in Icons terms, a "Massive Success". One year ago I was the guy introducing Icons to my group, just another game in a long series of games we've tried. Now we are hooked. They all want to run it if they haven't done so already. I've not seen this in our group such widespread enthusiasm for a game.. well ever.
                                        > One of the most common comments about Icons is that "it's Fate finally done right". I accept that technically that might not be quite correct, but the sentiment behind the sentiment is pretty clear. Icons certainly struck a chord.

                                      • Gareth-Michael Skarka
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                                          WIth regards to the lack of an index in ICONS: In this case, it was
                                          a simple matter of space. We had 128 pages (as solicited to the
                                          retail stores months in advance -- an estimate, but one we have to
                                          adhere to). Once layout came around, we released we were squeezed
                                          for space, and upon completion, had no room for an index.

                                          THat simple. No malice or error, just a matter of available space.

                                          -Gareth
                                        • Dr. Nuncheon

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                                              That sentence should have read: "our WW line has been very successful for us."

                                              that's what I get for posting too early in the morning :)

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                                                I'm sure it's been successful for us too!

                                                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: dirkgentry2000@...
                                                Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:13:45 +0000
                                                Subject: [icons-rpg] Re: Icons one year on

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                                                  On 6/13/2011 9:28 AM, Gareth-Michael Skarka wrote:
                                                  > WIth regards to the lack of an index in ICONS: In this case, it was
                                                  > a simple matter of space. We had 128 pages (as solicited to the
                                                  > retail stores months in advance -- an estimate, but one we have to
                                                  > adhere to). Once layout came around, we released we were squeezed
                                                  > for space, and upon completion, had no room for an index.
                                                  >
                                                  > THat simple. No malice or error, just a matter of available space.
                                                  >
                                                  > -Gareth

                                                  I understand that, mind you, my most recent game had the darndest best
                                                  Index I could write. But I wasn't soliciting them in advance, just POD
                                                  and PDF at that time, so I had the option.
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 13, 2011
                                                    On 6/13/2011 10:13 AM, dirkgentry2000 wrote:
                                                    > That sentence should have read: "our WW line has been very successful for us."
                                                    >
                                                    > that's what I get for posting too early in the morning :)

                                                    Heh, if I weren't a poor game writer myself, I'd own them all because I
                                                    think they would be very successful for me!
                                                  • eric troup
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 30, 2011
                                                      Yes, and here's hoping if it does get done, in addition to re-organizing, could we please have more rules clarifications/examples? Please? Pretty please?!?

                                                      On 13 Jun 2011, at 07:47, dirkgentry2000 wrote:

                                                      without getting negative, I can say that I have heard these criticisms from a few different sources over the last year.
                                                      It'd be nice to see an ICONS 2.0 at some point that addresses them

                                                      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, ";ohn McMullen" <jhmcmullen@...> wrote:

                                                      > A proper useful index is expensive to create--it contains synonyms as well as terms in the text. A listing of text terms isn't enough. So I can see why a publisher might not do it.
                                                      >
                                                      > I still want one, though.

                                                    • eric troup