Few questions from a new-comer to ICONs

  • sruman@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2011
      Hello all,

      I am looking to use ICONs for a one-shot created for some board gamers who have never RPG'ed before so I am doing my best to nail down the rules.
      One thing that confuses me is Evasion. Is this something a Hero would do as their exclusive action on a turn or is it something that is rolled whenever they are "swung" at?
      On a less crunchy level, how does everyone balance difficulty? I think I will run a modified "Sins of the Past" with either pre-gens or randomly rolled. In either case of the strengths of the encounters might be too high or too low for the number (3) and power of the heroes. How does everyone do this?
      Lastly, has anyone added-to or modified Sins of the Past and, if so, what changes do you make?
      Thanks for the help.
    • Jeff Johnston
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2011
        On May 13, 2011, at 3:54 PM, "sruman@..." <sruman@...> wrote:

        One thing that confuses me is Evasion. Is this something a Hero would do as their exclusive action on a turn or is it something that is rolled whenever they are "swung" at?

        Hi!

        Evading is a Reaction (note the symbol) you use when an NPC opponent tries to attack you with an attack based on Prowess or Strength (generally hand to hand).  Dodging is the same thing but for Coordination-based attacks (usually ranged)
        Message 3 of 3 , May 15, 2011
          It's the latter, players roll Evasion anytime they get swung at. It's a reaction so it's a free action.

          As for Sins of the Past... spoiler below...

          Okay, balance isn't that big I feel. Some of the bad guys are pretty tough (Widow Maker and Wraith are no push overs)  but then even if the do heroes lose one of the first enounters it's not a problem. It's a great adventure because because it's quite flexible. If anything I'd expect events in play it will deviate from how they are written and that's fine.  When I ran it there were only three heroes and it was a close run thing. Of course you always have the optio of dropping a couple of villains - after all 8 supervillains is quite a lot.

          As for changes, there were only a couple of minor details I played with. I wasn't happy with how adventure explains how the news of Madame Curious' death is revealed. Unless she died in action, in full costume who would the press ever find out? What I did is right after the fire I have one of the Golden Agent use the opportunity announce their teammates' death.

          The other odd thing is the rapid aging of the other Golden Agents. It seems to me odd that if ineed the Golden Agents need to take potion quite so frequently to stay young it seemed unlikely that Madame Curious would not have made some provision for her friends in case she had an accident. So I assumed that even though the lab was trashed she kept a backup of the formula with all the ingredients hidden at the Golden Agents Museum (in the replica of her lab). So initially the other heroes are aging rapidly not because they can't get the formula but just because in their grief they haven't gone to collect the backup yet but once they do they will return young again. That provides another avenue to the climax at the museum.

          But really they were just small things. It's a great adventure I'm sure you will enjoy it.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com