speed and distance

  • Brandon Blackmoor
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2011
      The disconnect between speed and distance has become an intermittent
      source of annoyance in our games, so I have been trying to come up with
      a way to put them into harmony. Note that there is no set scale from
      level to level (as there is in Mutants and Masterminds, for example),
      because ICONS just doesn't work that way. That being said, please let me
      know if you see any serious problems with this:

      http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=ICONS:House_rules_worksheet

      Also, please let me know if it seems okay to you.

      Kind regards,
      Brandon Blackmoor

      --
      bblackmoor@...
      2011-04-03
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2011
        Looks pretty good to me.

        John

        John Powell | john@...

        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@...> wrote:

        > http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=ICONS:House_rules_worksheet
        >
        > Also, please let me know if it seems okay to you.
        >

        > Kind regards,
        > Brandon Blackmoor
        >
        > --
        > bblackmoor@...
        > 2011-04-03

      • Brandon Blackmoor
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2011
          On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 16:22 +0000, "abesapiens" <john@...> wrote:
          > Looks pretty good to me.

          Thanks.

          I will say that it kind of bugs me that level 3 and 4 are so close to
          each other, and that the jump between levels 7 and 8 is so large. I am
          considering tweaking that a bit. I do not mind the x10 jump from level 9
          to 10, but I would like the lower numbers to be a little more
          consistent.

          Kind regards,
          Brandon Blackmoor

          --
          bblackmoor@...
          2011-04-04
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2011
            I smoothed out a couple of bumps. Opinions are solicited.

            http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=ICONS:House_rules_worksheet

            Kind regards,
            Brandon Blackmoor

            --
            bblackmoor@...
            2011-04-04
          • wee_ree_cat
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
              Well I believe you shouldn't make the radius value the same as the distance value. Make it shorter. it's a radius after all, a whole area of effect, whereas distance is just a straight line. It's not fair, I think.

              I would make the radius something like half the distance value, for example.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
                On 4/6/2011 12:04 PM, wee_ree_cat wrote:
                > Well I believe you shouldn't make the radius value the same as the distance value. Make it shorter. it's a radius after all, a whole area of effect, whereas distance is just a straight line. It's not fair, I think.
                >
                > I would make the radius something like half the distance value, for example.

                I'd disagree. 10 should be pretty damn significant.

                Of course, to me since 10 is the mask rank, it should be global (at least.)
                Meaning someone with say 10 weather control, should effect the whole
                darn world if they wanted too.
              • wee_ree_cat
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 7, 2011
                  Dude, I never said anything about 10 specifically. 10 is max level so yeah whatever, the whole world is okay.

                  I was talking about levels PCs are actually going to have. Speaking from experience with other super hero games, I think that between someone who decides his power can affect a whole area, and someone else who decides his power only affect one person at a distance, it is very, very unfair if the distance isn't greater than the area.