Re: [icons-rpg] [off topic] Thanks Brandon for "Under the Broken Moon"

  • Brandon Blackmoor
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
      On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:59 +0000, "abesapiens" <john@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Brandon - this site has been a wonderful resource
      > for me, my family and other gamers over the years. Whenever
      >someone asks me about a good starting rpg for kids or adults,
      > or a great pick up game, I always refer to your adaptation
      > of the Over the Edge system to Thundarr.

      I am pleased that you found it fun. :)

      By the way, Thundarr was FINALLY made available on DVD recently
      (available ONLY directly from the WB web site).

      Mine arrived the other day. When I start watching them, I may finally
      finish converting the episodes into Under The Broken Moon source
      material.

      Kind regards,
      Brandon Blackmoor

      --
      bblackmoor@...
      2011-02-04
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
          I never knew we had the author of "Under the Broken Moon" among us. Great stuff!

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
          From: john@...
          Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:59:52 +0000
          Subject: [icons-rpg] [off topic] Thanks Brandon for "Under the Broken Moon"

          I'd like to take a little time out to thank Brandon Blackmoor for putting this on the web:
          http://www.rpglibrary.org/settings/thundarr/

          Thanks Brandon - this site has been a wonderful resource for me, my family and other gamers over the years. Whenever someone asks me about a good starting rpg for kids or adults, or a great pick up game, I always refer to your adaptation of the Over the Edge system to Thundarr.

          You are awesome.

          John Powell

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
            I got my copy of the Thundarr DVD a while back. Ordering it from abroad was not cheap but, demon dogs, it had to be done!

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
            From: bblackmoor@...
            Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 12:11:45 -0500

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
              On 2/4/2011 12:46 PM, Soylent Green wrote:
              > I got my copy of the Thundarr DVD a while back. Ordering it from abroad was not cheap but, demon dogs, it had to be done!

              Should have said something, as long as you have a region free or
              US/Canada player I'd have been happy to get it and ship it to you.

              <---Huge Thundarr fan.

              Is Thundarr a superhero setting or a P-A one, or both?

              I've run my Thundarr pastiche setting under CAH a few times.
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
                On 2/4/2011 10:59 AM, abesapiens wrote:
                > I'd like to take a little time out to thank Brandon Blackmoor for putting this on the web:
                > http://www.rpglibrary.org/settings/thundarr/
                >
                > Thanks Brandon - this site has been a wonderful resource for me, my family and other gamers over the years. Whenever someone asks me about a good starting rpg for kids or adults, or a great pick up game, I always refer to your adaptation of the Over the Edge system to Thundarr.
                >
                > You are awesome.
                >
                > John Powell

                Yes indeed, it was and is awesome.
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
                  WB DVDs seem to play okay over here even without a region free player. Which is good because I had to get all the Justice League/JLU animated series from the States - the complete seasons were released here which I think is criminal but that is besides the point.

                  Disney DVD not a chance. My sister had to get Gargoyles and Gummi Bears DVDs from the US because they we never relased here either, but she can only play them on old laptop which she changed set region 1.

                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                  From: silverlion@...
                  Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 13:12:16 -0600

                  On 2/4/2011 12:46 PM, Soylent Green wrote:
                  > I got my copy of the Thundarr DVD a while back. Ordering it from abroad was not cheap but, demon dogs, it had to be done!

                  Should have said something, as long as you have a region free or
                  US/Canada player I'd have been happy to get it and ship it to you.

                  <---Huge Thundarr fan.

                  Is Thundarr a superhero setting or a P-A one, or both?

                  I've run my Thundarr pastiche setting under CAH a few times.

                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
                    Since Thundarr was created by Jack Kirby, it's probably a little bit super-hero and a little bit P-A...like a number of Kirby's creation. Thundarr's "Lords of Light" epitaph in the series was actually a reference to Zelazny's novel Lord Of Light, which Kirby had been working on adapting to a feature length animation. Unfortunately he never finished it. Google it and you'll find some of the pre-production sketch work Kirby did. It makes his Fourth World/Eternals works look mundane.

                    --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Tim K." <silverlion@...> wrote:

                    > Is Thundarr a superhero setting or a P-A one, or both?

                    Chris
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
                      On 2/4/2011 1:24 PM, Chris wrote:
                      > Since Thundarr was created by Jack Kirby, it's probably a little bit super-hero and a little bit P-A...like a number of Kirby's creation. Thundarr's "Lords of Light" epitaph in the series was actually a reference to Zelazny's novel Lord Of Light, which Kirby had been working on adapting to a feature length animation. Unfortunately he never finished it. Google it and you'll find some of the pre-production sketch work Kirby did. It makes his Fourth World/Eternals works look mundane.

                      Yeah, I'm familiar with it...

                      So what Icon's stats would you give Thundar, Ookla the Mok, Ariel, and
                      his foes?

                      I've been thinking about them a lot lately, mostly because I adore
                      Thundarr and have my own DVD set...
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 5, 2011
                        I'll start with Ariel.

                        Ariel

                        Prowess  3
                        Coordination  5
                        Strength  3
                        Intellect  6
                        Awareness  3
                        Willpower  7

                        Stamina  10
                        Determination  2

                        Specialties
                          Occult Expert
                          Pre-apocalypse History

                        Powers
                          Telekinesis 4
                            Attacking
                            Defending
                            Moving
                          Binding 5

                        Qualities
                          Epithet : The Sorcereress
                          Identity : Princess

                        Challenges
                          Weakness : Needs her hands free to cast spells
                          Personal : Thrill seeker

                        Point Total  39
                        Last modified  05/02/11

                        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                        From: silverlion@...
                        Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 01:28:03 -0600
                        Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] Thundarr

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 5, 2011
                          And Ookla

                          Ookla

                          Birthright

                          Prowess  4
                          Coordination  3
                          Strength  8
                          Intellect  2
                          Awareness  3
                          Willpower  4

                          Stamina  12
                          Determination  4

                          Specialties
                            Weapons Expert (Bows)
                            Acrobatics

                          Powers
                            Blast 4  - Stun arrows

                          Qualities
                            Epithet : The Mok
                            Catchphrase : Raaar!

                          Challenges
                            Personal : Hates water
                            Weakness : Language

                          Point Total  31
                          Last modified  05/02/11

                          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                          From: silverlion@...
                          Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 01:28:03 -0600

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 5, 2011
                            At last the guy himself, though I feel something is missing.

                            Thundarr

                            Trained

                            Prowess  6
                            Coordination  5
                            Strength  6
                            Intellect  2
                            Awareness  3
                            Willpower  4

                            Stamina  10
                            Determination  5

                            Specialties
                              Weapons Expert (Blades)
                              Acrobatics
                              Athletics

                            Powers
                              Strike 8 (Bashing) - Sunsword

                            Qualities
                              Catchphrase : Lords of Light!
                              Catchphrase : Ride!
                              Catchphrase : Demon Dogs!
                              Epithet : The barbarian

                            Challenges
                              Personal : Overconfident
                              Social : Barbarian

                            Point Total  38
                            Last modified  05/02/11

                            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                            From: silverlion@...
                            Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 01:28:03 -0600

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 8, 2011
                              that is 31 flavors of awesome with sprinkles on top.
                              Thanks for posting :)

                              > At last the guy himself, though I feel something is missing.
                              >
                              > Thundarr
                              >
                              > Trained
                              >
                              > Prowess 6
                              > Coordination 5
                              > Strength 6
                              > Intellect 2
                              > Awareness 3
                              > Willpower 4
                              >
                              > Stamina 10
                              > Determination 5
                              >
                              > Specialties
                              > Weapons Expert (Blades)
                              > Acrobatics
                              > Athletics
                              >
                              > Powers
                              > Strike 8 (Bashing) - Sunsword
                              >
                              > Qualities
                              > Catchphrase : Lords of Light!
                              > Catchphrase : Ride!
                              > Catchphrase : Demon Dogs!
                              > Epithet : The barbarian
                              >
                              > Challenges
                              > Personal : Overconfident
                              > Social : Barbarian
                              >

                              > Point Total 38
                              > Last modified 05/02/11
                              >
                              > To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                              > From: silverlion@...
                              > Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 01:28:03 -0600
                              > Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] Thundarr

                              > On 2/4/2011 1:24 PM, Chris wrote:
                              >
                              > > Since Thundarr was created by Jack Kirby, it's probably a little bit super-hero and a little bit P-A...like a number of Kirby's creation. Thundarr's "Lords of Light" epitaph in the series was actually a reference to Zelazny's novel Lord Of Light, which Kirby had been working on adapting to a feature length animation. Unfortunately he never finished it. Google it and you'll find some of the pre-production sketch work Kirby did. It makes his Fourth World/Eternals works look mundane.
                              >

                              > Yeah, I'm familiar with it...
                              >

                              > So what Icon's stats would you give Thundar, Ookla the Mok, Ariel, and
                              >
                              > his foes?
                              >

                              > I've been thinking about them a lot lately, mostly because I adore
                              >
                              > Thundarr and have my own DVD set...

                            • Michael Taylor
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 18, 2011
                                > By the way, Thundarr was FINALLY made available on DVD recently
                                > (available ONLY directly from the WB web site).
                                >
                                > Mine arrived the other day. When I start watching them, I may finally
                                > finish converting the episodes into Under The Broken Moon source
                                > material.

                                Cool - I'd be glad to see that!
                                Thanks!